Alpkit
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May 7th-8th-9th Somerset Bushcraft Meet/Gathering

Arrow May 7th-8th-9th Somerset Bushcraft Meet/Gathering

Riding on the crest of success of the last gathering we had, hear we go again....

May Friday 7th eve Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th

FYI
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53222
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51384

You will need to bring your own water / water containers!
    There is a river about 1/4 of a mile away through a field but 1) i can't be bothered to walk 2) I don't want to have to worry about making it ok to drink and 3) there is no lifeguard if someone falls in!!!

Due to the size of the wood and the fact we can't chop the wood down I would also appreciate it if everyone bought enough wood for them to use for the wknd.
    I.E. enough to cook with for how ever many meals you plan on having and also enough to add to the communal fire for the evenings celebrations.

The woods are not massive but there is probably enough room for 20 of us.

The location will be pretty much next to the A303 - there is limited parking so i am going to ask for the few parking spaces at the wood to be used for unloading/loading.
    Cars will then need to be parked down at a car park less than a mile away and just walk through two fields and your back at the woods.

this is by no means a party but a meeting of like minded people for a weekend get together of good conversation (maybe some song) and leisure time around a camp fire...

I'd suggest an over 18's policy for this one... if you do want to bring someone under 18 then let me know.

So sign up below.........
    Last edited by FreddyFish; 03-04-2010 at 22:34.

What goes on in the woods. Stays in the woods......

sounds like a great idea. I would be up for it so anymore info etc would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Savagewolfrm View Post
    sounds like a great idea. I would be up for it so anymore info etc would be most appreciated.
    Have to read the other two posts? Pretty much all the info you could want (and some you might not want) is there.

If you have a particular question/s ask away.

SiberianFury (josh)- possibly bringing a mate.

FreddyFish

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyFish View Post
    FreddyFish
    salad

Hello ye all.Will be there this time

FreddyFish
    SiberianFury (josh)- possibly bringing a mate
    Salad
    Jay (Guess i better come considering its my woods!)

Ok the plan is....
    It will probably be a working weekend. I'm waiting to discuss it with the trust but in exchange for us staying there FOC, having the right to do whatever we want (within reason) I am going to propose that we have a clearing weekend of fallen trees and a rubbish clear up.

Most of the wood we will try and burn i expect so may not need to bring our own (lthough last time we went through a trailer load! plus more!)

I am going to try and organise marking the trees they want cleared with spray paint before the weekend.
    Anyone who comes will be expected to join in (hope thats ok?) It should be fun, getting to clear woodland.

I was also thinking of having an archery competition.... this is something i am going to investigate further!

As we all know mass cooking is available and the farmer of the land next door even mentioned about giving us some lamb! So maybe me and Mayo can go and pay him a visit...

Any questions let me know

J

Will be there. I will try to get a trailer load of wood again. Maybe we can work out a cooking schedule that way we dont overload on food (waste). Will be happy to help clear. Jay see if its ok for me to drive the Jeep in that way we can use the winch and trailer to do the heavy work. Looking forward to it again.
    Talk softly and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by mayobushcraft View Post
    Will be there. I will try to get a trailer load of wood again. Maybe we can work out a cooking schedule that way we dont overload on food (waste). Will be happy to help clear. Jay see if its ok for me to drive the Jeep in that way we can use the winch and trailer to do the heavy work. Looking forward to it again.

You just want to use your new toy.... come on admit it...

I'll ask...
    i imagine if we are clearing the woods we can use whatever 'tools' we see fit!

archery competition, shall i bring me bow??

its only an idea at t mo josh lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysurfer View Post
    Ok the plan is....
    It will probably be a working weekend. I'm waiting to discuss it with the trust but in exchange for us staying there FOC, having the right to do whatever we want (within reason) I am going to propose that we have a clearing weekend of fallen trees and a rubbish clear up.

Most of the wood we will try and burn i expect so may not need to bring our own (lthough last time we went through a trailer load! plus more!)

I am going to try and organise marking the trees they want cleared with spray paint before the weekend.
    Anyone who comes will be expected to join in (hope thats ok?) It should be fun, getting to clear woodland.

I was also thinking of having an archery competition.... this is something i am going to investigate further!

As we all know mass cooking is available and the farmer of the land next door even mentioned about giving us some lamb! So maybe me and Mayo can go and pay him a visit...

Any questions let me know

J
    I think working (not too hard) would be cool and help the woodland and our position in using it. Also if the trust are happy with us, maybe they might give us a letter of reference to help getting other locations for mooting.

This might motivate me to finish my folding buck saw and give it a work out.

The mass cook was really nice but maybe just a bit more planning, as in who is cooking when and who is bringing what. As for numbers and not having enough. If more show up, there is always bread. I think better to under cater than have waste. If people are still hungry everyone will have there own supplies to dig in to.

I quite fancy doing a pit roast with hot rocks, but I didn't see any around. Maybe we will have to save that for a different venue.

Also Jay pm me your paypal details so I can send you some money for last time. How much did you want?

I was originally intending on doing a pit roast....

Lack of time to organise was the main enemy!
    As the woods are based on a old quarry we should be able to use the stones there (just need to dig them up)....
    The only issue is that there is not a lot of ground soil over the rocks, which makes digging a pit an issue!

You just want to use your new toy.... come on admit it...
    Yea im guilty I admit it. Boys and there toys you know.
    Talk softly and carry a big stick.

sounds good (again! )

the clear up is a great idea. glad to hear of the pre clearup marking, important to leave some fallen wood for the birds and bees.

will work on permissions to come, not this week though as this is a week for swmbo as its her birthday week. the weekend spent in london/paris, she be at work today! eeek but the rest of the week is for her, bbq to cap it on her actual birthday on saturday, then i can pop the question so to speak :P

I'll do my best to make it, I like the idea of a working weekend. If I'm unable to attend I'll drop Fredds chute up to Jay or something when I'm passing.
    If you can't tie knots tie lots!

Ok the plan is....

Be carefull of HSE an Insurance etc if your going to be Felling trees etc The Trust will be liable for any accidents and cock ups on activities done on their land with their permission
    (just to be safe keep Josh away from anything Sharp )

maybe dont burn all the wood in one go if you can stack it for later use or to season if its Green

ATB

Duncan

think i might print a disclaimer... lol

At the end of the day i don't want to take the **** with a once a month meet and not give anything back.
    Plus it makes more sense for people who enjoy being in the woods to do stuff like chop up fallen trees. We will not be taking down any standing trees, it will just be a clear up of rubbish and fallen trees.

And yes i completely agree Josh should be kept away from sharp things lol

And yes i completely agree Josh should be kept away from sharp things lol
    Maybe we could pass the tequila his way and he'll end up like Dan... Nice and safe.....

Maybe we could pass the tequila his way and he'll end up like Dan... Nice and safe.....

God knows how that kid didn't wake up! We could of actually moved him and left him in the middle of the woods somewhere!

Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Be carefull of HSE an Insurance etc if your going to be Felling trees etc The Trust will be liable for any accidents and cock ups on activities done on their land with their permission
    think i might print a disclaimer... lol
    At the end of the day i don't want to take the **** with a once a month meet and not give anything back.
    Plus it makes more sense for people who enjoy being in the woods to do stuff like chop up fallen trees. We will not be taking down any standing trees, it will just be a clear up of rubbish and fallen trees.
    was thinking about this myself, sadly the nanny state we live in prevents anyone from doing this sort of stuff without adequate public liability insurance, risk assessments and compliance with the HSE regs around equipment

the only way i can see to avoid stuff like that, is for us never to become a formal "group" or club. for any tools we "choose" to use in our "individual enjoyment" of the woods (albeit whilst amongst friends) and none of us ever ask another to do something...

if each of us just happened to be in the woods, just happened to have gloves and bags and a folding saw and just happened to decide as individuals to pick up that piece of rubbish or clear that branch sticking out across the footpath.... we might just maintain the activities as individual responsibilities

but, i still wouldn't be 100% that the trust would still be absolved of responsibility if they gave permission and someone got hurt and decided to "claim through injury lawyers r us" (translates as vampires of society). not saying any of us would, but you never know and they are public woods that others may be in and could get injured.

disclaimers are not worth paper they are written on in law sadly

of course, if the trust were to explicitly say to us "do not clear that fallen tree 'there', 'there', 'there', 'there' and 'there'........ and what ever you do do not pick up any rubbish when you spend the night in those woods.

then they would be absolved of any liability which would then be firmly in our laps as individuals (as we are not a club)

woods would look nice and clean of litter though

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Count me in.
    YAY.....
    Comedy night here we come!

******** to the nanny state, do it on a Sunday when the council ain't about.
    Once it's done, it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by jonajuna View Post
    was thinking about this myself, sadly the nanny state we live in prevents anyone from doing this sort of stuff without adequate public liability insurance, risk assessments and compliance with the HSE regs around equipment

the only way i can see to avoid stuff like that, is for us never to become a formal "group" or club. for any tools we "choose" to use in our "individual enjoyment" of the woods (albeit whilst amongst friends) and none of us ever ask another to do something...

if each of us just happened to be in the woods, just happened to have gloves and bags and a folding saw and just happened to decide as individuals to pick up that piece of rubbish or clear that branch sticking out across the footpath.... we might just maintain the activities as individual responsibilities

but, i still wouldn't be 100% that the trust would still be absolved of responsibility if they gave permission and someone got hurt and decided to "claim through injury lawyers r us" (translates as vampires of society). not saying any of us would, but you never know and they are public woods that others may be in and could get injured.

disclaimers are not worth paper they are written on in law sadly

of course, if the trust were to explicitly say to us "do not clear that fallen tree 'there', 'there', 'there', 'there' and 'there'........ and what ever you do do not pick up any rubbish when you spend the night in those woods.

then they would be absolved of any liability which would then be firmly in our laps as individuals (as we are not a club)

woods would look nice and clean of litter though

unfortunatly by giving you permission to stay in their woods they are liable for your saftey etc

if you do any work in exchange for anything ie clear wood in exchange for camping you are now in a AT work situation and HSE at work Regs apply

No disclamer or Sign can absolve any responsibility from the above in English law ie sign sayin you park here at your own risk has no legal base

I would alos be wondering espesially if goods and services where done for camping ie payment if the site should be a registered certified campsite

The council would certianly come down on any one who had paying campers in on their land without the right forms and fees payed etc

Welcome to England

ATB

Duncan

Anyway..... The List;

FreddyFish
    SiberianFury (josh)- possibly bringing a mate
    Salad
    Jay (Guess i better come considering its my woods!)
    Mayobushcraft
    Jonajuna
    Bazzworx (hopefully)
    Bushwhacker

Anymore out there???

That's what I meant. Damn that stupid, *****ing swear filter
    Last edited by Ogri the trog; 07-04-2010 at 17:55. Reason: Removed quote from removed post

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    That's what I meant. Damn that stupid, ***ting swear filter
    We are still a family friendly website Hence the swearfilter, other websites / fora are less strict in this - but the Boss want his kids to be able to view the site, without having to worrie about language (and pictures, etc. etc.).

Sure you'll understand
    Johan

Click for: BushcraftUK FAQ's |Photo posting tutorial| Become a Full Member, Maker (+) or Trader |Facebook

Vive sine paenitentia

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    unfortunatly by giving you permission to stay in their woods they are liable for your saftey etc

if you do any work in exchange for anything ie clear wood in exchange for camping you are now in a AT work situation and HSE at work Regs apply

No disclamer or Sign can absolve any responsibility from the above in English law ie sign sayin you park here at your own risk has no legal base

I would alos be wondering espesially if goods and services where done for camping ie payment if the site should be a registered certified campsite

The council would certianly come down on any one who had paying campers in on their land without the right forms and fees payed etc

Welcome to England

ATB

Duncan
    Right before this gets too silly...
    The woods are owned by the parish. Thats anyone who lives in the local community (Me!)
    There is a trust who are appointed to manage the woods on behalf of the community.
    When i say manage, these are retired people who get together once a quarter to decide if they are going to plant any more trees, put up any more signs etc etc...

Once a year someone volunteers to 'tidy' the woods, I thought it might be something people on here may be interested in doing as we have an appreciation for the great outdoors.

I'd rather the community see's our 'get togethers' as a possitive (security, management and tidying the woodland) and not a neggative (fires, trip hazards etc etc), so thought if i volunteered our services to 'tidy' the woods it would give us brownee points and mean we are able to use the woods now and in the future.
    At the end of the day i can go and use them whenever i want and as i own about 1/100 of the woods no one can stop me or do me for trespassing. However i do like being able to offer other people the opporutinties that i have.

I enjoy spending time in the woods but i would like to feel at the end of the weekend I/we have done something constructive and achieved something.

I've seen many threads on here where members organising meets have asked for a few quid a night in order to be able to use the land and also members who have use of woodland in exchange for a bit of work here and there.

Now i am more than happy to check if the woods has public liability insurance and if it doesn't orgnaise for a group of 15 to be covered at any point while we are there. It will never be registered as a camp site as it is completely unpractical and it is not a camp site, it is privately owned land and will stay that way!

As of yet i have seen no one act irresponcibly, however if i see someone who puts themselves or others in danger with reckless behaviour they'll be asked to leave...
    At the end of the day i am there to enjoy myself and spend time with good company, not worry about who can be trusted with a knife and who can't and who's doing what.

Sorry for the moan...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast