Start with the essentials:
- Be able to rig a tarp to suit different weather conditions.
- If lucky enough to have a suitable area to play in, building debris shelters & lean to.
- Be able to light a fire using different methods, matches, fero rod, flint & steel & bow drill.
Food & Water:
- Be able to cook a meal using a stove and over a fire.
- As his skills develop - prep of game and some basic foraging
- Make water safe to drink - filter & boil, chemical, or flash filtration unit.
I would also look at kit selection, looking at fit for purpose etc, and how to pack a rucksac.