Alpkit
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: British Blades Forum - down

Blog Entries

This is the fault of your ISP.

BritishBlades has moved to a new server. What's happened here is that your ISP has not flushed it's DNS records at the appropriate intervals like most others do (you are not on AOL by any chance?). This means that your ISP's cache of records for BritishBlades.com is still pointing to the old server and serving you the last available cached record for the domain from the now defunct serrver. All ISP's should flush the cache every 24 hours, but they are private company's and dont have to adhere to rules or conventions if they dont want to.

I would say it will solve itself in a day or two when your ISP finally gets round to flushing the cache and updating the DNS info.

You have 2 options.

1. Contact your ISP and ask them to update their DNS info.
    2. Do nothing, they will eventually update that info as a matter of routine.

Sorry for the hassle. This has been a massive upgrade of both hardware and software, but aside from cosmetic changes in the coming weeks, the site should be functionally available to everyone now.

Try this link...
    www.britishblades.com

It'll be slow as hell cos it's filtering through a proxy server, but it should work unless your ISP blocks proxy servers. If it does work for you, it'll prove that your issue is down to your ISP not flushing it's DNS cache and you will know that the issue will eventually resolve itself.
    Last edited by Martyn; 17-01-2010 at 02:48.

Thanks to everyone that pitched in to help. Martyn's post has pinpointed the problem for which I am eternally grateful.
    As it happens, I'm on the verge of changing ISPs: started with Pipex when it was good - seems a long while back now.
    Puub, hope this gets you back in as well.
    Cheers for now,
    Dave
    Last edited by Leon; 17-01-2010 at 09:35.
    Leon

Worry is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do but it doesn't actually get you anywhere

Thanks for that post, Martyn. I've been having a similar problem (mostly it wouldn't let me in, occasionally it would). As Dave was consistently getting in, I ruled out the ISP, but flushed by Mac's dns cache - seems to have worked

I'm getting the same thing but I am sure it will be fine by tomorrow.

Right, so the site is up it's just my isp that stopping me from getting on there ?
    When ever i have tryed to log on for the least 4 days all i get is a page saying the site is closed for updates ????
    I am about to call my isp and go totaly nuts with them, they need to sort their heads out.
    Cheers for the update
    Oh by the way it's J3st3r

Edit, nope i still cant get on lappy out the window i think , am going to dump cookies and restart router then its flying lappy
    Last edited by DurhamSteve; 17-01-2010 at 21:44.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I'm getting the same thing but I am sure it will be fine by tomorrow.
    Yes mate, whenever a site changes server there are always DNS propagation issues.

Some people have had access to the new server almost immediately, some had to wait a few hours and it seems some people are still being pointed to the old server even now. The good news is that nothing is broken and these issues will just simply go away when the new DNS info has fully propagated.

I had to go through google as the links in my favourites didnt seem to want to work.
    I have new ones now its OK.
    Alf

He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Scoutmaster on BB Knives by me
    Scout out www.escouts.org.uk

Right, droped all cookies, used cc cleaner, and everyother thing i could think of
    Tried other links from google to new post's
    Still cant get on , just shows me the "closed for server upgrade........"
    Any other thing i can do to get on
    I could get on after the upgrade, just i cant now :S
    DurhamSteve aka J3st3r

Blog Entries

It's your ISP mate. The only thing you can do is wait for them to update.

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamSteve View Post
    Right, droped all cookies, used cc cleaner, and everyother thing i could think of
    Tried other links from google to new post's
    Still cant get on , just shows me the "closed for server upgrade........"
    Any other thing i can do to get on
    I could get on after the upgrade, just i cant now :S
    DurhamSteve aka J3st3r
    I can still only get on via the proxy server link in Martyn's post. Like you, I could get on without a problem after the initial upgrades but ever since the 14th it's been a no go. I'm still getting the same page you are by the sound of it - from any direct link whatsoever.
    What ISP are you using if you don't mind me asking?
    Leon

Worry is like a rocking chair - it gives you something to do but it doesn't actually get you anywhere

Cheers Martyn

Leon, it was pipex then it changed to tiscali and now i think they are owned by talktalk , so i am not totaly sure , the link that Martyn posted to the proxy server only shows me the proxy server site not British Blades :S
    Looks like i am up the creek untill my ISP sorts their head out
    Thanks for the help peeps i will get back on soon
    DurhamSteve
    Last edited by DurhamSteve; 18-01-2010 at 20:26. Reason: coss i am a fool

We're both struggling with the same ISP then
    When you get to the proxy server in the link, type www.britishblades.com in the white box then click Go. (apologies if you've already tried that)
    Leon

Leon, it was pipex then it changed to tiscali and now i think they are owned by talktalk
    We're both struggling with the same ISP then
    And I'm with Tiscali too .

Pete.

Right, so the site is up it's just my isp that stopping me from getting on there ?
    When ever i have tryed to log on for the least 4 days all i get is a page saying the site is closed for updates ????
    I am about to call my isp and go totaly nuts with them, they need to sort their heads out.
    Cheers for the update
    Oh by the way it's J3st3r

Edit, nope i still cant get on lappy out the window i think , am going to dump cookies and restart router then its flying lappy

You've got quite a cool surprise waiting for you when you do get back on.

regards,
    Rob
    Adventure is just bad planning.

Quote Originally Posted by puub View Post
    And I'm with Tiscali too .

Pete.
    Yup me too. I got on when I was at work but here at home I am still getting the server maintenance message

Blog Entries

the link that Martyn posted to the proxy server only shows me the proxy server site not British Blades :S
    Ahhh, looks like the proxy is running a no hotlinking script to force everyone to go to their main page first.

Go here http://www.cnpv.info/index.php?
    Type www.britishblades.com into the box and click GO.

You will be able to read BB as a guest. I'm not sure if you will be able to log in via the proxy and tbh I wouldn't recommend trying as your login details would be passed through the proxy and logged there.

This issue is nothing to do with your PC, that is fine. It's 100% your ISP. Eventually they will update, but their own company policy will dictate when.
    Last edited by Martyn; 19-01-2010 at 00:58.

Last edited by Noddy; 26-09-2012 at 02:26.

It seems Pipex aka Tiscali aka TalkTalk have some history when it comes to this kind of foul up:
    http://www.ebidinfo.com/372/internet...il-ebid-users/
    At the end of the article are some instructions for jiggling internet settings to work around Pipex and their s-l-o-w response.
    I can happily report that changing the DNS servers as described has worked for me and I can now happily log back in to BB from any link
    Have now signed up with another ISP so not much longer to suffer with Pipex thankfully.
    Leon

Leon,

Cheers for the link to the site you mention above, i did what it said and looks like i am back on
    Thanks everyone who has helped
    Any one who is on Pipex or Tiscali or TalkTalk, if your havinf problems follow he instructions at the bottom of the page Leon posted
    It worked for me.

DurhamSteve aka J3st3r

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Wonder what's going to happen when the decorators get in?
    Should be fun.

I'm volunteering Grace to pick the curtains.
    OIL THE JOINTS

Leon,

Cheers for the link to the site you mention above, i did what it said and looks like i am back on
    Thanks everyone who has helped
    Any one who is on Pipex or Tiscali or TalkTalk, if your havinf problems follow he instructions at the bottom of the page Leon posted
    It worked for me.

DurhamSteve aka J3st3r
    Great! Glad to hear it worked for you too
    Leon

can't get it to work!!!!!!

i'm using a new laptop (6 mo old) dunno which version of windows, and i use firefox.

help!

Blog Entries

fbd, who is your internet service provider?

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    fbd, who is your internet service provider?
    pipex

martyn..........

Blog Entries

It's not the fault of your laptop, it's your internet service provider. BritishBlades wont work for you till pipex update their DNS info. It's appalling how long it's talking them. I'll give my hosting company a ring and see if they can give them a nudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    it's your internet service provider.
    23... thats how many times you have said that.. lol

Poor chap

Default British Blades site

Just me?
    Just had to change my email address as freenet is now closed unless you want to pay for it.
    Since changing, all emails and everything saved gone including paid subscription details and forum subscriptions (even hassle to sign in).
    As I said - Just me?
    Whittler Kev.
    I loike making things I does. Happy as a...
    Blogspot at http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

Quote Originally Posted by Whittler Kev View Post
    Just me?
    Just had to change my email address as freenet is now closed unless you want to pay for it.
    Since changing, all emails and everything saved gone including paid subscription details and forum subscriptions (even hassle to sign in).
    As I said - Just me?
    Who's your ISP Kev, I'm with Tiscali/talktalk and only recently got back on to BB.

Still seems to be working OK for me, fingers crossed it continues to.

Tiscali.....

Cheers,
    Pete.
    Last edited by pwb; 10-02-2010 at 23:01. Reason: Adding Tiscali now talktalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by puub View Post
    Who's your ISP Kev, I'm with Tiscali/talktalk and only recently got back on to BB.

Still seems to be working OK for me, fingers crossed it continues to.

Tiscali.....

Cheers,
    Pete.
    That's good news. Is this issue resolved with pipex/tiscali users then?

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast