Alpkit
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,158 of 1158

Thread: British Blades Forum - down

Thanks, Rick.

Not at all technical so sorry if this means nothing but I've noticed a change when I try to load up the BB website. Up until this evening, it immediately came up with the page saying it wasn't recognised but now it tries to load the page for maybe a minute or so before coming up with that page. Hopefully the problem is clearing or maybe that's not how it works. Just thought I'd say in case it meant something positive was happening!

And there it was, gone. Didn't get chance to read about what is happening either. Dosn't look like it will be back.
    Woodcutter

www.secondintime.com

.............................. .............................. ...
    Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent

I'm now getting redirected to a page called "SupportServices". This seems to be another website saying, "britishblades.com" and "This domain name has been registered with YourSupportServices.co.uk".

I've no idea what that means so is it a good or bad thing? Without tempting fate, I'm leaning towards this being bad news. I'm happy to admit that I hope I'm wrong, though.

I've asked somebody about this, in passing, so I don't seem too desperate and it could be that it has either been closed down for good or simply mothballed. If it has been mothballed, and I am going by what I was told here cos I know nothing about this stuff... ... it is taken down from public viewing but kept by the owner, all content still intact, and could be restarted again at a later date.

Apologies if those ideas turn out to be balls in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Eighteen12 View Post
    I've asked somebody about this, in passing, so I don't seem too desperate and it could be that it has either been closed down for good or simply mothballed. If it has been mothballed, and I am going by what I was told here cos I know nothing about this stuff... ... it is taken down from public viewing but kept by the owner, all content still intact, and could be restarted again at a later date.
    It's a shame. Though I bailed out as a mod because I could see this frustrating situation happening, I feel sorry for those mid deal, those that just joined, and all the people I worked with and chatted with over the years.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    It's a shame. Though I bailed out as a mod because I could see this frustrating situation happening, I feel sorry for those mid deal, those that just joined, and all the people I worked with and chatted with over the years.
    Indeed it is, Rich.

Do you know if it's closed, mothballed, for sale, sold or whatever?

Status up now saying site is moving to new server
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by kernelpanic View Post
    Status up now saying site is moving to new server
    Kev
    Thanks for the update, Kev. I missed that because my BB bookmark is in the Portobello Road section and that still goes to the "SupportServices" page. The main homepage page has a statement, "Britishblades is moving to a new server. Sorry for the downtime, please be patient, normal service will resume as soon as possible. Thanks, Martyn."

So I guess it'll be back up and running whenever this is completed.

Any more news?

I was wondering the same thing. I know several forums which changed servers and two were big places, Blade Forums and Badger & Blade. I recollect both were done and dusted in a few hours.

Maybe the forum is mothballed for possible changes later and nothing is happening now?

I'm not speaking from any authority, and I'm sure there are people who know more than me...

The last I saw on BF before it went off again was a post from Martyn. It basically said that there had been a potential security problem with the site, and the hosting company took the site off air because they could not get a quick reply from Martyn. That was the previous outage.

I got the impression that the potential issue was sorted out; and the site was back, obviously. Also that, while Martyn might have to consider mothballing the site in the future depending on his personal circumstances, it was not on the cards immediately.

That's paraphrasing from memory.

So, given that and the fact that it still says 'moving site', I think we just have to wait and be hopeful.

It might not take long to move a site's database if there is a full-time staff to do so, and everything works as expected. I have a little experience myself and I can imagine that if one is working alone, with other, personal, issues to cope with as well, and if things don't go smoothly, it could take a lot longer.

The bottom line is that only Martyn knows what is happening, and he obviously has his hands full. We just have to wait and see.

Moving site can be done quite quickly but it can take days for the new IP to propagate. When we moved SotP from to a new server some people could not connect for over a week. Others were in after a couple of days. Same thing happened when we just changed the domain host but had the same server.

Although the website must be down around a fortnight, maybe more, it is now wearing up on a week since the notice appeared about the server move.

I don't suppose anyone has heard from Martyn? Or would there be a technical way to track the website to know if it is being changed over or what is happening?

TBH - no Site/Database migration or DNS transfer takes a week - and I have some experience with this as well. Much credit to Martyn to have been willing/able to run it for so long. I really wish him all the best and most of all a full health recovery. As to BB -he probably should have delegated a bit more.

One fact that everyone is agreed on is that BB is now a business, and has been for some time.

Without wanting to point out the blindingly obvious, what is going on is beyond all understanding. Why not take the offers of help from a period of time ago when the first strains were starting to show? Why not ask for help from the skilled members and staff now that it has collapsed? Why not be talkative and let everyone know how the situation is going? Why the silence?

If it is a business, surely the very first thing you'd want to be doing is using whatever tools and means possible to get it back up and running and keep it back up and running as any business should do. The way BB is going is simply the complete opposite. The entire thing makes no sense.

"Why the silence"?

Without wanting to divert this thread into a rant or cross forum thing, I am ex moderator for a reason, and that is lack of communication.

If the moderators here wish to remove this, they can, but at least they have the site owner to contact if necessary. Something BB staff haven't had for several years. I left through utter embarrassment and frustration at not being able to answer any of these type of questions.
    Last edited by Nice65; 21-06-2017 at 00:08.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

Okay folk...Thread is now locked.
    We don't want cross forum spats, arguments, or moaning and that is pretty much what this thread has become. Continually picking at a scab. The last posts serve no good purpose.

If any of the BB moderators have any news that they want to share in the future, they are welcome to contact the BCUK mods and we can open the thread again, or start something new as an announcement.

I was one of the earliest members on BB and it was my posts there that landed me a place on the BCUK mod squad where I worked alongside Martyn for a number of years. I hope that he is able to bring BB back, but more than that, I hope that he is able to sort his health out. The latter is the more important of the two.

Good luck Martyn!
    Chris

Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place.

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839