Alpkit

Thread: Backpack recommendations

Default Backpack recommendations

Hi all, I'm on the lookout for a bargain backpack but not sure which one to get.
    My current one is a highlander forces 33, I love it because it's super comfortable and tough as old boots but it's not quite big enough for longer cold weather stays.
    Bits of kit that will be coming along on every trip include a UK military arctic sleeping bag, thick bivi bag and Fiskars 142 axe, along with the usual bits of extra cloting, food, tarp etc. So the new pack will have to be large enough to accomodate all that, I'm thinking about 100 litres should be enough space.
    Anyone got any suggestions ?

I've settled on an issue bergan,mainly because of durability and the space to carry an issue dossbag and still have loads of room left.

got a link ?

try ebay and search for PLCE bergan/bergen

Another vote for a PLCE, for the sort of capacity and longevity you want you won't go far wrong with ex army gear.
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

Hmmm, PLCE bergen is good, hunt around for one in good condition, or find a good cobbler who can do repairs. I picked one up in really god nick for a fiver at a car boot sale during the summer.

I do like the Berghaus Vulcan tho' I've used one for years now and I'm thinking of doing the popular modification of adding another side pocket on the front to add another 10 litres to it, but I'm not sure my shoulders will cope with it these days!
    There are two theories about winning an argument with a woman, Neither of them work.

Try this link.This is where I got mine,they come with side pockets and yoke included.He's a good seller and has short and longback versions > I'm 6'4" and find a longback just right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Camo-Army-...9#ht_530wt_939

Forward where the knocks are hardest, some to failure, some to fame;
    Never mind the cheers or hooting, keep your head and play the game

Only question with riks' link is what condition are they?If grade 1 or super they're a bargain,if not then what are you paying for?

Can anyone tell me if the Snugpak 100 litre bergen has loops underneath for strapping on a sleep mat ?

I highly reccomend the Snugpak bergan, its tough and has some nice little features like built in raincovers (Green DPM and dessert). Straping a mat to the bottom may be a bit difficult but it has a bungee spider strap on the front that I use for my sleep mat. Now I have a self inflating sleep mat that sits inside the pack, still plenty of space for other kit including my tent.

The old Green Style PLCE Bregan's are in my mind the best you can buy.

100L main bergen, Do the side zips up and its a little smaller at 70L add the side pouches and it a mega 120L

I lost out on several Good to mint ones on Ebay "I only wanted to pay 20" finally got a NEW one for 15 (without side pouches) Didnt think he would post it (retails at 180 from Silvermans) but when it arrived I had to give him positive feedback... LOL

Dont buy Highlander or Web-Tex copies, are just that... Copies... and they are never as good as the real thing... Both the above are hit or miss in the final attention to detail.

Not much can go wrong with the real thing, its designed to carry loads / weights that you cant.

If you love your Highlander, why not buy a bigger one? I'm quite happy with my Highlander Forces 88 when I need to carry a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by R3XXY View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Snugpak 100 litre bergen has loops underneath for strapping on a sleep mat ?

Stand your sleep mat on its end inside your pack then stuff everything else inside it.
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

A bag is a bag. A bag contains "stuff".
    Its what is on your hips and next to your back that is important.
    (Old saying from my father)

Rod

Tbh i love the highlanders, grab yourself a 55 or a 66 from Polimil.co.uk cheapest place i know to get em and good service. they stock everything from the 15 to the 99.

i'd love some molle webbing on em but otherwise cracking bags!
    All weather is walking weather!

I had thought about buying a bigger Highlander, certainly a good amount of litres for the money, but I don't like the shape of them. They look too long and thin which I think is impractical, and the side pockets look to small.
    I just stumbled across the PLCE bergens on the Endicotts site. They're in the webbing section and not the rucksacks page. I think I'll get one of those, they seem to get a lot of good press and if I don't like it it shouldn't be difficult to sell on again.
    Good idea regarding the sleep mat Shewie.