Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushlite candle lantern

Default Bushlite candle lantern

I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these bushlite candle lamps, has anyone had any experience with them ? are they robust?

Link is here here
    and a similar type is here

Greg

Default Re: Bushlite candle lantern

Don't have one but I've always fancied one too.
    There's no such thing as inappropriate clothing... Just *&%! weather.

I have been using 2 of them for years.
    I got mine from Attleborough and i reckon they are great kit.
    If you use one in your tent it really helps to prevent condensation.
    There is a surprising amount of heat from them and they really take the chill out of the air.

Here's a self portrait...

I even use them in my camper van as they give a much nicer light than the fluorescents it has and you can burn Mozzie patch's to keep the bugs under control.

At first i wasn't sure how well they would last but i have used mine for years and they are still going strong and the glass is still intact.

rb

RB, whats the burn time on candles?
    There's no such thing as inappropriate clothing... Just *&%! weather.

I have the uco one they work well and last for ages i have the uco tealite one two cheap and easy to get hold off the the tealites from b and q :wave:
    live for today tomorrow mite never happen

I find i have to shorten "standard" candles to fit and they usually last a couple of evenings.
    I never did a timed test.
    My father has a tealight version but it doesn't burn as long.

What about the safety side of things?

I've never thought of using one in my tent before because of what I would of thought was an obvious risk. I guess it's not a problem?

hi stew the uco one will snuff itself out if it falls over so they are save to use and the hanger keeps them a safe distance from anything so no worrys about them setting the tent on fire :wave:
    live for today tomorrow mite never happen

Quote Originally Posted by Stew
    What about the safety side of things?

I've never thought of using one in my tent before because of what I would of thought was an obvious risk. I guess it's not a problem?
    The wire handle on mine is long enough to keep it from damaging the tent inner when it's hung up (providing you keep the little top piece closed over).
    They are not very stable but you can get an optional base ,i usually try to hang mine up and so far i have never had a problem.
    There is something very comforting about a flame even if it's it's only from a candle rather than a fire ,these make a tent a much nicer place to be than if it was illuminated with a torch.

have been using candle lanterns for years, can't tell you anything aout those particular ones but can give you another source, I have done buis. with them for a couple years always got good service, good prices. http://www.campmor.com

Cheers for the help all, looks like I might get one then, I've wanted to minimise my use of batteries for a while and guess this is the only realistic alternative.

Greg

I have a uco one (whats the difference??)

I have been trying to buy a reflector for it but wherever I ask no one seems to keep them.

I have made one from the top of a gas canister but would like to get hold of the proper one that folds.
    Tradition means not picking up the ashes, but passing on the flame.

I have a UCO and cant complain, but you can make one out of a beer can and a tealite and I have to say that there isnt much of a diffrence - except the tealite costs pennies (and last about 3 hours) and of course you get a good drink first.

Since I was shown this trick I havnt bothered packing my UCO.

Nick

I find the reflector casts a lot more light down to where I need it.. :biggthump

I did make one from a beercan but when it was packed away it got crushed.

:wave:
    Tradition means not picking up the ashes, but passing on the flame.

I've been using a Bushlite for about six years, and indeed when it's not out in the field with me it sits on the bedside cabinet and gets use every evening as my bedside light. The original distributor vanished, but a couple of years ago I tracked down Attleborough who stock the lanterns and accessories. The reflector is well worth buying, but the glass has proved tougher than I expected so the spare I bought is still sitting unused in a drawer.

For candles I use ordinary Price's Household candles, in the red box, less than a pound for a box of six and burn time is generally three hours or so. Price's quote up to five hours, but I suspect that the closed lantern means extra heat and reduced burn time.

There used to be a sort of stove attachment for this lantern, with a spring system to stop it collapsing, but that now seems to have disappeared; probably a good thing. All in all I'd recommend the Bushlite. Most candle lanterns take a slightly larger than normal candle, whereas this one lets you use pretty much any standard candle even if you have to trim the length (which you don't with Price's).
    "We wade in imperfect solutions"

Quote Originally Posted by greg2935
    I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these bushlite candle lamps, has anyone had any experience with them ? are they robust?

Link is here here
    and a similar type is here

Greg
    I made a candle light and cooker myself and tested the thing in my winter shelter. I love the little thing! Its a real survival equipment, before you get up your fire you have already some snow melted and get a sip of hot water if you want. The candle light gives a very nice light and warmth for a shelter.
    Freezing my nuts of last time when I was sleeping in the snow shelter I enjoyed very much to stretch out my hand and get a sip from my little water cooker. It doesn't cost you anything either. I highly recommend that design for you guys. It takes only 30 min and you get the first cup of melted snow to drink.

Here you see the little guy in action

cheers
    Abbe

I've got a UCO, the candles are supposed to burn for 9 hours, I like it. The chain is long enough for the heat not to affect my tent and gives a nice warm glow, also takes a bit of the cill out of the air on those cold mornings.

Brian

The version sold by Campmor is available in brass or aluminum with an extensive parts list. Candles are an excellent survival item. The Inuit used soapstone oil lamps inside igloos not only for light, but to increase the temperature. If I recall correctly, our quinzie in arctic survival school was @ 0 degrees with subzero temps outside + windchill. With a single pink lady candle burning it warmed up to 20 degrees. The lantern's best feature is safety. http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....104,45478&ap=2 is a WW1 soldier's collapsible lantern. LeeValley also has an inexpensive candle lantern listed.

[QUOTE=Abbe Osram]I made a candle light and cooker myself and tested the thing in my winter shelter. I love the little thing! Its a real survival equipment, before you get up your fire you have already some snow melted and get a sip of hot water if you want. The candle light gives a very nice light and warmth for a shelter.
    Freezing my nuts of last time when I was sleeping in the snow shelter I enjoyed very much to stretch out my hand and get a sip from my little water cooker. It doesn't cost you anything either. I highly recommend that design for you guys. It takes only 30 min and you get the first cup of melted snow to drink.

Hi Abbe, how do you suspend the inner tin (Melting pot) over the candles and how much of a gap did you leave between the flame and the inner tin?

Cheers,
    simon
    Give your children these two things. One is roots, the other, wings.

[QUOTE=simonsays]
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbe Osram
    I made a candle light and cooker myself and tested the thing in my winter shelter. I love the little thing! Its a real survival equipment, before you get up your fire you have already some snow melted and get a sip of hot water if you want. The candle light gives a very nice light and warmth for a shelter.

Hi Abbe, how do you suspend the inner tin (Melting pot) over the candles and how much of a gap did you leave between the flame and the inner tin?

Cheers,
    simon

Here is a blueprint of the stove:

I guess it will be to small for you to see so I put a link to my webplace where you find a bigger version of the file in the picture gallery.

http://web.telia.com/~u18313429/

I was lazy and didn't put the nail in and only bent the little window flaps into the can, in that way is the water pot standing on the little window flaps. That works fine only problem is that you have to be careful not to cut your fingers. If you are handy and have some good tools I would suggest that you build the one from the blueprint because it is much safer not to cut yourself putting new candles into the cooker/lamp.

good luck mate
    cheers
    Abbe

We've used the Northern Lights candle for 4 or 5 years now, and we wouldn't go camping without it - It gives out a wonderful light, and on cold evenings inside a 2 man tent, takes the chill off a little. The design also makes it fairly wind proof.

We tend to try and get the candles with Citronella in them, to try and keep the mozzies away - don't know if it works, but physcologicaly it helps :-)

The only maintainance we've had to do is to occasionally clean the glass as sometimes wax creeps up the side - easy to field strip and maintain.

Graham.

I went for a bushlite candle lantern which arrived this morning. Very happy with it even if everyone in the office thinks its a waste of time because, 'we have torches and batteries now'. I just wanted to say a very big thank you to everyone that posted.

Greg

I've used the non-collapsing Uco that burns tea candles as a "streetlight" to mark my campsite. It does have a harmonious glow that LED lights do not have. Do not touch the top plate during operation.

Bear

I love my bushlite... Does everything it says on the tin !!

I think they go for about 20 on Evilbay at the moment
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2  66&dateline=1221166572

i use a little screwgate crab on mine and hang it on my hang rope under my basha i love it and have taken it every where with me You can always get a candle and tesco burn for approx 6 hours +
    whatever you do TAKE PLEASURE IN LIFE..

Digressing a bit, can you still get decent paraffin hurricane lamps (the wick type, not pressurised) in the UK? I used to have an excellent German one by Feuerhand but lost it and could only find a very inferior Chinese replacement.

I could buy two Feuerhands for 30 euros delivered to the UK from Germany but surely somewher in Britain has them?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Digressing a bit, can you still get decent paraffin hurricane lamps (the wick type, not pressurised) in the UK? I used to have an excellent German one by Feuerhand but lost it and could only find a very inferior Chinese replacement.

I could buy two Feuerhands for 30 euros delivered to the UK from Germany but surely somewher in Britain has them?

Ikea, about 2.99 iirc

Cheers,Toddy
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

Quote Originally Posted by dchinell
    I've used the non-collapsing Uco that burns tea candles as a "streetlight" to mark my campsite. It does have a harmonious glow that LED lights do not have. Do not touch the top plate during operation.

Bear
    When we make camp, we hang up a couple of those tritium glow rings on paracord (they usually have keys, firesteels, knives etc hanging off so you can find them in the dark) to mark the camp. These can be seen up to about 50ft away but no more, so you can find the camp yourself but not be seen from the other side of the hill, if that's what you want... Great for the middle of the nigh tpee etc! I also hang one on the dog's harness so I can see where he is when out on night time dog walks. Much better than the obtrusive LED he had before.

I too have toyed with getting a Bushlite, and it's only a matter of time. Couldn't buy an Uco, as it reminds me too much of the Japanese word for Poo....

Just got myself a bushlite, and im very pleased with it.

Only used it in the house for now, but it will go camping with me

Now tis has been reurrected, I have a question:

What happens to all the wax?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast