Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Air pistol for rabbits?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Bedfordshire
    Posts
    13

    Default

    its do - able but I wouldnt. Not my cup of tea at all. Its either going to be an execution or a wounded runner.

    You will need a decent quality pistol though - such as a Wierauch HW (but watch out as the target based Hws only put out about 2.5 FPE) or a Brockcock Aim X. Avoid Co2 pistols at all costs - mostly have crap triggers & are very temperature sensitive.

    You will need to keep it in a case (that renders it impossible to fire) when you are not on land that you have consent to shoot over.

    Plus get a load of practice shooting it before you contemplate trying to dispatch live quarry - its suprisingly hard to shoot accurately with a pistol - bearing in mind you only have a kill zone the size of a walnut (between the eye and ear). You will probably need a scope or red dot sight - iron sights are also difficult to get consistent accuracy with.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk U.K.
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    I've decided against the air pistol idea and I'm going to practice with a throwing stick.

    Just to give you an idea of the distances involved, I took these shots yesterday.



    The bunny is inside the red ring. I was as close to the rabbit as the dog was and got much closer before it bolted.



    You can just make out the rabbit in this close up.
    Mike

    If a man is talking in the woods and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    mendip hills, somerset
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    that would be no problem with an air pistol mate, whatever you choose to use, good luck.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    174

    Default

    If you can get that close to a rabbit, walking thru that sort of noisy terrain, it has myxomatosis and needs to be despatched. Its having enough problems without being shot at or having sticks thrown at it! Jumping/stamping on its head is easiest method or the neck snap if you know what you're doing, but I always find that when you see the state of their eyes you will not want to be picking it up!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk U.K.
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    If you can get that close to a rabbit, walking thru that sort of noisy terrain, it has myxomatosis and needs to be despatched. Its having enough problems without being shot at or having sticks thrown at it! Jumping/stamping on its head is easiest method or the neck snap if you know what you're doing, but I always find that when you see the state of their eyes you will not want to be picking it up!
    Totally wrong.

    Bunnies in that situation will sit tight until the last second and then take off like a rocket. Myxi rabbits don't bother to move.

    We bolt bunnies every day and have seen no myxi since early October.

    The dog, two years old and fit as a flea, hasn't got a hope in hell of catching them.
    Mike

    If a man is talking in the woods and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    3,881

    Default

    I still reckon a catapult is ideal for that situation.
    Getting that close, you're firing down so you don't even need to worry about a backstop.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BorderReiver View Post
    Totally wrong.

    Bunnies in that situation will sit tight until the last second and then take off like a rocket. Myxi rabbits don't bother to move.

    We bolt bunnies every day and have seen no myxi since early October.

    The dog, two years old and fit as a flea, hasn't got a hope in hell of catching them.
    I disagree. There's alot of rabbits round my way and they don't sit tight. At the first sight or sound of you they're off and heading for home. The myxi ones move IF they hear you, just not at much pace. There's a Myxi outbreak in my part of Suffolk at the mo and there's loads of them. I saw four of them in a 20min walk at Alton resovoir yesterday. 3 dead, one alive (until the dog got it). My dog can catch them, but then he's a whippet and bred for it.
    Last edited by fredster; 18-11-2009 at 16:15.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    3,881

    Default

    Young rabbits do crouch in the grass before eventually bolting when you're near them, it doesn't mean they always have myxi.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joejoe View Post
    what kind of pistol would kill a rabbit at 10 mtrs
    HW45 or some of the pre charged competition pistols.
    Effort = Reward.
    www.markhillknives.com

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk U.K.
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Not wrong. There's alot of rabbits round my way (arable land) and they don't sit tight. At the first sight or sound of you they're off. The myxi ones move if they hear you, just not at much pace. There's a Myxi outbreak in my part of Suffolk at the mo and there's loads of them. I saw four of them in a 20min walk at Alton resovoir yesterday. 3 dead, one alive (until the dog got it). My dog can catch them, but then he's a whippet and bred for it.
    OK, not wrong in your part of the country.

    A lot of the (healthy) rabbits in my local wood will sit tight when the dog marks them and I can get close enough to (literally) poke them with a stick.

    Mind you, a fair few sneak away before the dog gets to the bush.

    Thankfully our myxi outbreak was short lived this year.

    I'm sorry that you are being afflicted at the moment.
    Mike

    If a man is talking in the woods and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Cranborne Chase Dorset
    Posts
    3,732

    Default

    Rabbits are funny like that and habbits change depending where youare

    our way its quite easy to walk past a rabbit by a few yards if it feels that playing possom in a bit of long grass or cover is the best

    best to aim to just miss them if you walk directly at them them thay will bolt a lot sooner off set a few yrds and you can walk right past some times

    few miles away this wont work they are more jumpy and feed at differnt times to

    ATB

    Duncan

    PS based entierly on the picture i wouldnt take the shot on that rabbit with a pistol to much debris in the way which would deflect or stop the low powered pellet

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    W. Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    A rabbit can be either chilled to your presence of very wary of it. A lot of it comes down to how much rabbits are hunted by people. If they have to put up with hunters regularly then they will be gone at first chance.

    Take lamping for example. Go round an area that doesn't get lamped and you will see loads. Go to the same spot a few times and you will see hardly any after the first time you put the lamp on. They get smart.
    Effort = Reward.
    www.markhillknives.com

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk U.K.
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Rabbits are funny like that and habbits change depending where youare

    our way its quite easy to walk past a rabbit by a few yards if it feels that playing possom in a bit of long grass or cover is the best

    best to aim to just miss them if you walk directly at them them thay will bolt a lot sooner off set a few yrds and you can walk right past some times

    few miles away this wont work they are more jumpy and feed at differnt times to

    ATB

    Duncan

    PS based entierly on the picture i wouldnt take the shot on that rabbit with a pistol to much debris in the way which would deflect or stop the low powered pellet
    Got a good view of the head by changing position, so a clean shot would have been possible.
    As it was, it knew the dog was more of a threat and bolted in my direction.
    Mike

    If a man is talking in the woods and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Norfolk U.K.
    Posts
    2,680

    Default

    Same woods, same dog, different day............not one single rabbit stayed still long enough for me to get close.

    Ain't nature wonderful.
    Mike

    If a man is talking in the woods and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •