Alpkit

Thread: Clubs for folk who practise Bushcraft?

Lycanthrope Guest

Question Clubs for folk who practise Bushcraft?

:wave:
    I'm new as you can see and I'm interested to know if there's any organisation I can join where I can go off with like minded folk and practise bushcraft.

I'm loath to spend a fortune on a course at this stage as frankly I'm a bit brassic with the run up to Christmas and all, I am however putting aside some cash each month to attend one of the basic courses.

I've bought a few books, Ray Mears etc and this is something I've been interested in since being a kid in the cub scouts I guess progressing onto the Royal Marine Cadets (realised then that the bushcraft side was all I was interested in and the idea of killing someone I've never met for a government that I didn't vote for was a bit silly, call me a pacifist or any thing you like)
    I've digressed, please excuse me.

Are there any clubs for people into this sort of thing I can join?
    I'm too old for the scouts (the shorts and woggle wouldn't suit anymore) and my wife has put her foot down about the TA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Clubs for folk who practise Bushcraft?

Sounds like you need to look out for the meetups on here. There are more planned for next year and although not strictly a club they are definately a good chance to meet and practice relatively cheaply.

Not all courses are expensive by the way. wild live are very reasonable and have had good reports on bcuk.

Alternatively try and set up your own meetup in devon, put yourself on the map and see who is close to you.

Bill

Lycanthrope Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tenbears10
    Sounds like you need to look out for the meetups on here. There are more planned for next year and although not strictly a club they are definately a good chance to meet and practice relatively cheaply.

Not all courses are expensive by the way. wild live are very reasonable and have had good reports on bcuk.

Alternatively try and set up your own meetup in devon, put yourself on the map and see who is close to you.

Bill
    Excellent web site, I'll be able to book something much earlier at those prices.
    cheers

your welcome to come to the ashdown meet up see the thread in the meet up section matie

Newry may be a bit of a travel for you wolfman

as far as i remember it is in Northern Ireland

but at those prices it would be worth investigating a holiday over there

Tant
    If I want something blunt I use a spoon

Well, you got your club right in front of you as you read this. :wink: bcuk has to be the greatest "bushcraft club" in the world? :-)

But yes, it would be nice to see people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheViking
    But yes, it would be nice to see people.
    I know what your face looks like anyway TheViking. Thats a mugshot in your avatar. Isn't it?!! ):

Quote Originally Posted by hootchi
    I know what your face looks like anyway TheViking. Thats a mugshot in your avatar. Isn't it?!! ):
    Yes. :rolmao: But the guy in my avatar looks a little mad and I'm not mad. (at least not now )

Hi Wolfman and welcome.

Off thread a bit but I would recommand Wild-Live. Even with a cheap flight to Belfast or Dublin or a Ferry crossing it would still work out cheaper then some. You also have no currency exchange.

Then you can come and see the rest of the country.

I'd also check out the map it's very good place to start.

James
    "Paddle your own canoe"
    Rovering to success - B.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope
    :wave:

Are there any clubs for people into this sort of thing I can join?
    I'm too old for the scouts (the shorts and woggle wouldn't suit anymore) and my wife has put her foot down about the TA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you considered becoming a helper with a Scout Group, Wolfie? The shorts and woggle are not quite as compulsary these days... ):

In all seriousness, that chances are that you'd find like minded folk (there's a whole bunch of bushcrafty Scoutleaders in my district - several of them on BCUK!), and there can be a good social scene as well. Not only that you'd get plenty of chances to practice the craft, and the satisfaction of seeing a kids face light up when they realise they can do something they previously thought impossible...
    "Let's get out there and do stuff"