Alpkit

Thread: Raymond??

Default Raymond??

HI all, just bought a book from a second hand bookshop in mint condition, it's called "the survival handbook". When reading through it I found that what I was reading seemed very similar in style of writing to a few books I had read before, flicking to the front I found it was written by none-other than Raymond mears!! Does anyone know if its worth anything as someone said that his old books went for a few quid these days!!1 Still only picked up for 6 so I think i'll keep it

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10701
    Check post 26

The one that you want to have is the one mentioned in green text.
    Johan

Click for: BushcraftUK FAQ's |Photo posting tutorial| Become a Full Member, Maker (+) or Trader |Facebook

Vive sine paenitentia

haha YES!! That's the one I have, the isbn matches up

Survival Handbook: Practical Guide to Woodcraft and Woodlore
    ISBN 0946609888 - Publisher: Oxf. Illustrated P - Release date: 1990

what does that mean??

If it's published in 1990 or 1991 then it's worth keeping - his first book is his best (in many people's opinions - mine included!). It will fetch in the region of 50 but I'd keep it if I were you - and enjoy the sense of smug satisfaction knowing you only paid 6 - as well as read it as an excellent resource.

Good find!

Quote Originally Posted by slamdunk View Post
    If it's published in 1990 or 1991 then it's worth keeping - his first book is his best (in many people's opinions - mine included!). It will fetch in the region of 50 but I'd keep it if I were you - and enjoy the sense of smug satisfaction knowing you only paid 6 - as well as read it as an excellent resource.

Good find!
    wow I do feel smug!!!

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
    wow I do feel smug!!!

cheers!
    Rub it in some more why don't you

Good find
    Last edited by MartinK9; 09-01-2009 at 18:04. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK9 View Post
    Rub it in some more why don't you

Good find
    haha!
    Forest books in Uppingham, it had one other ray mears book for 7(not the same one) and being a cheapo I went for the cheaper.......turns out being cheap does pay off sometimes!

Default The survival handbook

That book was a turning point in my survival and bushcraft training when I bought my copy in 1991. Up until then I followed a slightly more military style but always felt there was more to it than just learning how to survive until rescued. Of course, there were lots of similar books in a similar style already published and available overseas (North america etc) but mostly unknown in the UK and a bit harder to get hold of in pre -internet days. It was 'Raymonds' book that summed up how I felt about the outdoors and it was, and still is a great inspiration to me. My extremely thumbed and yellowing copy, held together with gaffa tape must be worth about 5 pence now but would certainly be one of the first things I would rescue if my house was burning down.