Alpkit

Thread: What is the best torch?

Default What is the best torch?

What is the best general purpose torch?

oooohhh that's a loaded question

Batteries- Lithium or standard AA/C/D or rechargable
    Bulb- LED or Incandesant?
    Size- Pocket or monster carry?
    Brightness- Second sun or enough to see by?

There are a number of options

LED Maglights are quite good (the smaller AA ones)
    http://www.shop4torches.co.uk/acatal...l_AA_Torch.php

going up to the indestructible Surefire torches

http://www.shop4torches.co.uk/acatal..._LED_Torch.php

I have a number of both types. My everyday favourite is a Surefire L4 that i run on rechargeable batteries so i don't have to worry about the expense of the lithium batteries.

Give us an idea of what you will be using it for and we'll see what we can come up with
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Famous last words of General John Sedgwick
    May 8th, 1864

Just everyday use.

I have maglite's etc, just wondered if there was anything better?
    The surefire ones sound interesting! I have a bit of a torch thing at the moment and im
    looking round for a topnotch torch for winter, possible powercuts etc. I know any torch is better than none in a powercut, i just wanted something decent

Welsh Wales South (there's lovely, isn't it!)

I personally use Fenix and Surefire torches but, as has been previously mentioned, you've got to think about batteries. If you look at Bernie Garlands thread about torches for lamping, you'll see a Tesco torch that really has to be seen to be believed. I had the opportunity to compare it in the field to my Surefire M2 with a Malkoff 225 Lumen drop in and the only difference was a little bit shorter distance and a narrower beam on the Tesco torch (The Malkoff drop in is a wider beam and the distance difference was almost imperceptable). Having said that, i can only imagine the Surefire will last longer, at least i hope so as it cost almost four times more than the Tesco's one!

Here's the link: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-5039.aspx
    Last edited by Jedadiah; 05-10-2008 at 16:05.
    Voted #1 Micromesh seller on British Blades
    all the grits at a price to suit all pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedadiah View Post
    I personally use Fenix and Surefire torches but, as has been previously mentioned, you've got to think about batteries. If you look at Bernie Garlands thread about torches for lamping, you'll see a Tesco torch that really has to be seen to be believed. I had the opportunity to compare it in the field to my Surefire M2 with a Malkoff 225 Lumen drop in and the only difference was a little bit shorter distance and a narrower beam on the Tesco torch (The Malkoff drop in is a wider beam and the distance difference was almost imperceptable). Having said that, i can only imagine the Surefire will last longer, at least i hope so as it cost almost four times more than the Tesco's one!

Here's the link: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-5039.aspx
    Ive just got back from tescos Jed having bought one,theve got a bigger one for £18 isle 3 is were you find them.

Bernie

Personally I like some thing that will work as a headtorch - so I can use both hands.
    A red lens option - for map reading etc - so nightsight is not destroyed - is useful
    Varable intensity ( single/cluster LEDs) makes a torch versatile.
    Ease of battery aquisition makes a torch easy to reload - I like AA or AAA batteries for this reason.
    I find that my camera (AA battery model) uses only the "top" of the charge and those registering "dead" in the camera will keep my torch burning for days!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

We never used red filters for map reading as they obliterate contour lines. You wouldn't want to find that cliff face all of a sudden in the dark, would you!

What is it about surefire torches that they cost more?

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofold View Post
    What is it about surefire torches that they cost more?
    The name perhaps,i'll let you know how my tesco £12er gets on later when dark.

Bernie

To get the best of two worlds you might consider a torch with a diffusor. It could be used as a normal spotlight style torch or used to light a whole room, a tent or a camp site with the diffusor attached.

The Fenix L2D CE Cree Q5 with a diffusor would be a good example.

Another good choice might be a Zebralight. It's a surprisingly small and good light for close up work, reading or indoors general light during powercuts. But it doesn't throw a focused beam far away. Will work handsfree as a headlight or attached to your clothes. Very nice if you have to fetch and carry in the dark. Great for every day carry since it is really small.

I have a Aurora 1.5w torch which uses a Cr123a rechargable, it's great for daily useage and the beam is great in the woods for about 2 hours before it dims.

http://the-gadgeteer.com//assets/aur...lashlight1.jpg
    The Ark was built by an amateur, the Titanic by professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by spamel View Post
    We never used red filters for map reading as they obliterate contour lines. You wouldn't want to find that cliff face all of a sudden in the dark, would you!
    Or green filters if you are using OS maps (but you wont find the woods!)
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

I knew it would get to technical and lose me

Bernie

The one you have when you need one !!!

Seriously, Fenix.
    Crime does not pay ... as well as politics. Alfred E. Newman.

Welsh Wales South (there's lovely, isn't it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Garland View Post
    Ive just got back from tescos Jed having bought one,theve got a bigger one for £18 isle 3 is were you find them.

Bernie
    Are you happy with your purchase Bernie? It was actually the larger £18 one that i linked to. I thought it was the one in the link in your thread, but the £18 is lower on the page, clicked on that and thats the one i had the chance to compare my M2 to.

I also have a Zebralight head torch, the CR123A version and i love it to bits. There is, however a seperate thread on that subject.

Why are Surefire so expensive? Because they are made to be 'squaddy proof' to put it bluntly. The military and Law Enforcement need to rely on their kit and when you need light, you don't want to be shaking and slapping a torch to get it to work. I think Surefire is reassuringly expensive and that's why i've got two (M2 and E2E, M2 in my E&E pouch, E2E in my Uni pack). My Fenix is my in-car, 'where's my torch, damn it's in the house, oh no, there's one in the glove box' torch. 1 AA battery and a very useful amount of light. My Zebralight is either on my head or in my Ventile pocket and a spare Petzl Tikka in the bergan.

Still, the Tesco one looks good, need a long term test though........................ ........!
    Voted #1 Micromesh seller on British Blades
    all the grits at a price to suit all pockets!

I got a Petzl head light from Decathlon and never looked back.

I like the Nitecore EX10. Far left.

Extremely bright yet very compact. Very reliable piston switch. Here is a video describing how it works.
    Hoodoo

. . . deliverance will not come from the rushing, noisy centres of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. - Fridtjof Nansen

What's the best knife? What's the best shelter?

We need a very detailed description of your requirements, preferences and budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    What's the best knife? What's the best shelter?

We need a very detailed description of your requirements, preferences and budget.
    eh? i was only asking for peoples opinions for a general purpose torch.......

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------<>

eh? i was only asking for peoples opinions for a general purpose torch.......

Andy >>>>>-------------------------------<>
    Andy get yourself to Tesco's,took the £12 joby out last night,with the dog and was amazed by it,it's impressed me that much i'm of today to get the £18 joby.

Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Garland View Post
    Andy get yourself to Tesco's,took the £12 joby out last night,with the dog and was amazed by it,it's impressed me that much i'm of today to get the £18 joby.

Bernie
    I'll have a look and see what they got in, i'll grab one

I'll have a look and see what they got in, i'll grab one
    Believe me you wont be sorry mate.

Bernie

I have a torch with a 4watt LED, it is the equivalent of a 21watt halogen. The bulb only came out last year and that ALONE was about £40, I paid about £70 for the torch and the pure white light is like daylight, with true colours.

You will not be disappointed at that price. I am well gutted to see them so cheap so quick.

Alpkit Gamma !!

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/

Lighting modes
    The Gamma Headtorch functions from a single multi operation button (SMOB). This orange SMOB gives access to two lighting modes each with multiple settings:

1W LED Mode
    This is the large central LED, it provides the brightest light. When in this mode the button toggles between 4 settings; High > Low > Strobe > Off.

5mm LED Mode
    This mode toggles between the three 5mm LEDs and has 5 settings; White LED > Green LED > Red LED > Red LED (Strobe) > Off.

Bonus Backlight LED
    In addition to the two modes of the head unit we have given you a bonus. The battery pack is fitted with a red LED light, this light has 3 settings; On > Strobe > Off. A button on the side of the battery compartment cycles between these settings and operates independently from the button on the head unit.

Operation
    Turn the torch on:
    Press the orange button once. The Gamma torch will illuminate your world in the mode it was last used (either in 1W LED or 5mm LED mode).

Cycle through the settings of a mode:
    Press the switch again to step through each setting of the currently selected mode.

Toggle between modes:
    To change modes turn Gamma on and then press and hold the button for 3 seconds.

The head unit
    The head unit contains three 5mm LEDs and one 1W Luxeon LED. The unit pivots so that you can direct your light during use. The orange button on top of the unit toggles between the torch's modes and functions. This part of the torch cannot be opened and the bulbs are not replaceable.

Lighting test
    Jim takes things in to his own hands and tries to find the Alpvan with a selection of headtorches. Check out our Lab Notes for the results.

The battery compartment
    The battery compartment takes three 1.5V AAA alkaline batteries. The compartment is opened by holding the unit in your left hand and firmly twisting the cap on the righthand side of the compartment. An orange button on the left side of the battery compartment toggles between the functions of the backlight.

Adjustable headstrap
    The elasticated headstrap can be adjusted for different sized heads, wearing over a monster wooly hat or climbing helmet. The straps can also be removed or replaced by sliding the elastic through the small slots in the plastic housings.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2  66&dateline=1221166572

As a general purpose torch I like the fenix L2D.
    About the same size as an AA maglite, good battery life and a decent throw.
    If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.
    item 87, skippys list

Just bought one of the tesco 12 quid ones. I like the switch on the end, very bright as well.
    I also bought an olive green surefire g2 off ebay, came to 30 quid with postage. I like the claimed indestructability (big word of the week!) of the g2.

Cheers for the suggestions folks.

In fact, keep them coming, its always interesting reading what others think of kit

Just need the sun to go down now....

Andy >>>>>-----------------------------<>