Alpkit
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Campfire Trivets

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Durham City, County Durham
    Posts
    3,571

    Default Campfire Trivets

    I had a go with my new (second hand, but new to me) stick welder. I got the wire brush on some old horse shoes I had in the workshop and welded three at a time together to make a campfire trivet. Then I cut some thin round stock and put legs on. This was my first time at welding. Turned out not bad I thought.












    Comments as always welcome.

    Eric
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    paddling a loch
    Posts
    3,003

    Default

    Good stuff, a MIG welder ? Maybe put a slight taper on the legs for stability ?

    Always best to put more than req'd on then file/grind off the slag. You can then check for porosity. We have a MIG welder at school (work) they wont buy a cannister though, so homers must be done via MMA.

    Nick

  3. #3

    Default

    I think they are great mate. Good looking AND functional (bit like me realy).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ~Hemel Hempstead~
    Posts
    13,968

    Default

    Very nice Eric. A nice case or recycled materials being put to good use. Only thing I'd say is the same as SCR and put a slight slant on the legs to allow for better stability
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    10 MilesWest of Newcastle (Geordieshire)
    Posts
    3,119

    Default Brilliant!

    As Tony the tiger is apt to cry: "They're Grrrrreeeaatt!"

    Honestly Eric, another brilliant idea, shared with the world

    how many more shoes have you got?

    Cheers
    R.B.
    Often Out,standing In A Field

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Durham City, County Durham
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    No idea how many, but when I worked in B&Q someone came in for some nuts-n-bolts wearing riding britches and had horse poo all over their riding boots, so I asked her if she had any old horse shoes to spare. She came back the following week with a large sack of them for me. I've never counted them to be honest but there's probably enough for a few dozen trivets.

    I agree on the legs. Now that I've tried them, I think I'll bend the legs out about an inch and a half.

    I was contemplating - for the next batch - to weld nuts to the shoes and then I could screw in some bolts for in use. That would make it more portable for transportation as you could unscrew the legs when finished. I'll have to have a play about with them though as most will be used in a historical context so bolts might not work very well for authenticity.

    Eric
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
    Posts
    1,408

    Default

    They're much nicer than the ones that I nicked from a lab that I used to do maintenance in when I was an apprentice. I must look under the pile of cr@p in the shed and find them...

    Nice work there, Michael.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,099

    Thumbs up

    Very nice indeed Eric. Great bit of recycling there. You should have a few on your stall at the next meeting. They would also look suberb in front of a log fire holding the teapot.
    Fred

    Fortune is infatuated with the efficient - Persian Proverb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Durham City, County Durham
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fred gordon View Post
    You should have a few on your stall at the next meeting.
    These are going up to Lanark next weekend. One to keep and two to trade. There'll be a few re-enactors there who'll covet them.

    Eric
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Great little project, Eric.

    Yes, a wider "footprint" would help with stability. And you can get some pretty long "carriage bolts". Some varieties only have the last inch threaded, with the rest being just round rod. And they have that domed head on them.

    There is a little soft-cover book that was put out by Western Horseman magazine called Horseman's Scrapbook: Helpful Hints for Horsemen by Randy Steffen isbn 0-911647-07-4 published in 1986. It has a lot of "hints" of things to do to re-use horseshoes. Things like hinges, coathooks, andirons, gate latches, etc. Even mailbox stands, boot scrapers, and whole chairs.

    Fun little project.

    Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wyre Forest Worcestershire
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Nice job Eric, are three legged horses common in your part of the country
    Pothunter.

  12. #12

    Default

    I like it kind of rustic.
    My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer -
    A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/715755@N24/pool/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    No idea how many, but when I worked in B&Q someone came in for some nuts-n-bolts wearing riding britches and had horse poo all over their riding boots, so I asked her if she had any old horse shoes to spare. She came back the following week with a large sack of them for me. I've never counted them to be honest but there's probably enough for a few dozen trivets.

    I agree on the legs. Now that I've tried them, I think I'll bend the legs out about an inch and a half.

    I was contemplating - for the next batch - to weld nuts to the shoes and then I could screw in some bolts for in use. That would make it more portable for transportation as you could unscrew the legs when finished. I'll have to have a play about with them though as most will be used in a historical context so bolts might not work very well for authenticity.

    Eric
    If you make three "legs"/spikes that you just bang into the ground, each with a little 'U' shaped cup at the top, and then rest the trivet on the top. You could forgo having to weld them, and they would look/be more authentic, Dave Budd had a three corned trivet at the moot, that used the same three spikes hammered into the ground approach,
    突き出る釘は打たれる
    the nail that sticks out will be beaten down

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Durham City, County Durham
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
    If you make three "legs"/spikes that you just bang into the ground, each with a little 'U' shaped cup at the top, and then rest the trivet on the top. You could forgo having to weld them, and they would look/be more authentic, Dave Budd had a three corned trivet at the moot, that used the same three spikes hammered into the ground approach,
    Agreed! And that's perfectly feasible if you are building a fire on the ground. However, I mostly use firetrays raised off the ground to protect the grass, so the spike idea wouldn't work for that.

    Eric
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ~Hemel Hempstead~
    Posts
    13,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    Agreed! And that's perfectly feasible if you are building a fire on the ground. However, I mostly use firetrays raised off the ground to protect the grass, so the spike idea wouldn't work for that.

    Eric
    It would if you make a longer spike and have a lug part the way down to accomadate the fire tray then the trivet fits over the top
    Mad Dave... When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute, I just think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dartmoor (Devon)
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Methven View Post
    Agreed! And that's perfectly feasible if you are building a fire on the ground. However, I mostly use firetrays raised off the ground to protect the grass, so the spike idea wouldn't work for that.

    Eric

    you still don't have to weld the legs. That's assuming you don't mind foging tennons and riveting the legs to the platform The one mentioned above doesn't have a single weld in it. I made it at shows using the Iron Age forge and it's all rivited together

    My trivet was built to fit over my forge at shows, hence the shape and size. I was planning to take a few similar things to teh Gathering with me, but I doubt I'll get the time
    Man up Princess! dave budd handmade toolsTools, knives, blacksmithing Also, courses in all of the above

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Merseyside, Cheshire
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Cool, I have to get out and practice my welding as I must be the worst on the planet.

    Really great work there Eric.
    Christopher

    I havent lost my mind, I've got it backed up on tape somewhere!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington USA
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Great job Eric.

    I own a horse stable and am adrift in horse shoes. Have made about any thing you can think of out of them.

    Most fun was a Christmas tree.

    Harmony

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Durham City, County Durham
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
    Great job Eric.

    I own a horse stable and am adrift in horse shoes. Have made about any thing you can think of out of them.

    Most fun was a Christmas tree.

    Harmony
    Thanks Harmony. Let's see some photos then? I love seeing other people's work.

    Eric
    <a href=http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n617/Eric_Methven/krusty%20oldfart/sm-poo-creek-paddle-stores.jpg target=_blank>http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...dle-stores.jpg</a>
    Preparedness for every eventuality!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •