Alpkit
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambridgeshire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Cambridgeshire

Hey all,
    Im looking for an active or partially active group to spend a little time with, hopefully likeminded people into outdoors, wildernes, a little survival, firemaking knifemaking leatherwork charcoal burning coppacing, green woodwork etc.

Im based in Cambridgeshire and dont know of too many places where i can indulge in these activities although im sure they exist. Wondering if there are any likeminded individuals about?
    Theres nowt so queer as folk,
    'cept for thee and me,
    'n even thees a little strange

Hi Badgeringtim

I am based in Cambs but I am afraid there is nowhere local to go or any groups. So I am limited to a couple of outings a years.

Mike

I used to live in Cambridgeshire. When I was a kid we used to do bushcrafty things in Gamlingay Wood, which is between Eltisley and Potton. Nearby Gransden wood is also good. Both are nature reserves, mostly coppices but quite ancient. Fires are not allowed and permission should be saught for other activities but they are probably the best bits of woodland in Cambridgeshire.

They used to organise regular foraging events, particular for fungi. Both woods exhibit an enormous amount of different fungi species in the autumn.

http://www.wildlifebcnp.org/reserves...p?reserveid=48

Default hello

I live in cambridge and get out now and again usually around some woods nearby or upton woods up near peterborough.

weekender
    "squirrels noses, otters spleens, sparrows wings get them while their hot there lovely."

I'm near Cambridge. I tend to do a bit of discrete gathering of fallen birch in Haley or Weresley wood, usually as part of dog walking. I seldom stay out these days as SWMBO
    likes her comforts, and seems to count me as one of them!
    Offering your services as a beater to local shoots can be a good way of getting time in woods you wouldn't normally get access to, and you might get some shooting to if you are interested.

Dave
    So many look, so few see.

I'm not tight! I'm frugal!

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Seems like there might be a bit of interest. Would any of the above be interesting in meeting up? Depending on what people are interested in it could just be a social thing or possibly try to do some knowlage sharing/practice?
    'cept for thee and me,

I would alway be interested.

Mike

Default Possible meet up in Cambs

Quote Originally Posted by badgeringtim View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks.
    Seems like there might be a bit of interest. Would any of the above be interesting in meeting up? Depending on what people are interested in it could just be a social thing or possibly try to do some knowlage sharing/practice?
    Hi Fellas
    I am in Huntingdon and would possibly be interested in the above if we can rub some ideas together.

Let me know

Craeg

anyone still interested in cambs can add my msn and we can chat for a bit then maybe meet up:

leighspost@hotmail.com

best to email me first though as i get a lot of spam msn addy's.

I am interested in most bushcraft. I regularly forage for wild food. Mainly sea food, wild garlic, marsh samphire. I have fires often mainly of birch or conifer.

I would like to hook up with a few guys and have some nights out in the woods.

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy little world

Hi leigh
    im not in cambridgeshire but i am very close
    potton to be be precise there is a couple of spots you can camp around potton but they dont like fires
    Sam
    Only the Wilderness is pure truth

If it ain't Raining then it ain't Training!

Hi sam,

Is that private owned? If I can get details, knowing if camping is ok would be a great help.

I was on a food from the hedgerows tour today I asked the ranger about camping. Absolute no-no due to and old law, cant remember now.

Its baffling me as forestry commission want inclusion, provide 24 hour access but 'no camping'. Permission should really be granted upon request and a small charge. I would be happy for that.

Anyone else out there for a meetup?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Tanith View Post
    Hi leigh
    im not in cambridgeshire but i am very close
    potton to be be precise there is a couple of spots you can camp around potton but they dont like fires
    Sam
    I live in Comberton would love to get out or even just have a few hours in the woods where abouts are they? If you can revel..
    "squirrels noses, otters spleens, sparrows wings get them while their hot there lovely."

I'll be in Cambs soon, 4 weeks from now. Will be there for the summer and possibly after. I could well be interested in meeting up somewhere.
    Advice on knife use - "The pink things are fingers"
    Woodcrafter's Log
    Follow me on Twitter!

Hey all, glad to see some life in the old post!
    Id definately be interested in a meet up.
    I wonder if it would be easiest to do a day meet and see whats what?
    Gamlingay is a nice little patch - but quite a few folks so depends what people want to be doing.
    It'd be nice to be able to at least have a little play with some friction firelighting and a whittle. I have a little (very home made) oven arangement i can bring so no 'open' fire. Would want to check first though.
    And could drive from cambs?
    or even just meet for a bit of a forage - got elderflower last weekend for bubbly and have my eye on some dandilion and burdock roots (again permission...)

Im away for a week, but maybe meet 2nd weekend of june or something like that?

:-)
    'cept for thee and me,

Just thought I'd chip in and say I'm in Cambridge and would definitely be interested in meeting up at some point. I'm a newb when it comes to the bushcrafting side of things I'm afraid!

phillipricardo@hotmail.com is my msn.

not far from Cambridgeshire here, and would love to meet a few people to spend some time in the woods

Blog Entries

Default Me too

Anything happening? Don't do much camping out and wandering but interested in most other things (woodworking, forging, blade making, yapping, etc)
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

Blog Entries

In case some one hasn't seen this. All the local nature reserves and whats in them (lots of free fruit and some unsual mature trees)
    http://www.wildlifebcnp.org/reserves...Cambridgeshire
    Last edited by Whittler Kev; 02-11-2009 at 19:52.
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

We ought to get on and organise something.....
    Advice on knife use - "The pink things are fingers"
    Woodcrafter's Log
    Follow me on Twitter!

Default Gaining Permissions

I'm up for Bushcrafting in the area! A little further out (Bury St. Edmund's/Newmarket)

Anything happened yet? this thread was started a while ago now! Im gona spend some time this year looking around locally for some 'Proper' permissions for full Bushcrafting! There are tons of small woods around, so gona approach local farmers/landowners via kind letters!

Here is a good video on YouTube by The SilverFox
    tips on gaining Permissions
    trail over to my blog @ wolfcrafter.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCrafter View Post
    I'm up for Bushcrafting in the area! A little further out (Bury St. Edmund's/Newmarket)

Anything happened yet? this thread was started a while ago now! Im gona spend some time this year looking around locally for some 'Proper' permissions for full Bushcrafting! There are tons of small woods around, so gona approach local farmers/landowners via kind letters!

Here is a good video on YouTube by The SilverFox
    tips on gaining Permissions
    I'm moving to that area. I'll be interest to know what permissions you come up with. Apart from having a new house to renovate, a busy job and young family, I'm well up for some Suffolk bushcraft in my loads of free time.
    Each morning sees some task begin, Each evening sees it close;
    Something attempted, something done, Has earned a night's repose.
    My Photos

Default What about an Orgainised meet at a Scout Camp??!!

IDEA -- BUSHCRAFTING @ SCOUT CAMP BASES??!!

Good to hear shep.. thought id make a start today looking around the web, might as well start along the lines of the popular Rough Close meet site I go to in the mid-lands (next meet organised for March to coincide with the N.E.C outdoor show!) Rough Close is a Scout Camp, (website) so I've been looking in Cambs for sites of the same nature.. here's one Ive found.. Little Abington

The site lists the same activities as Rough Close

Site Available for Camping: All Year
    Suitable for County Camps Yes
    Suitable for District Camps Yes
    Suitable for Patrol Camps Yes
    Suitable for "Backwoods Camps"; Yes
    Altar Fires Yes
    Cooking Area Yes
    Campfire Circle Yes

Other Organizations - Site fee per person 3.00
    Other Organizations - Evening Visitor (incl. use of toilets) 0.80

Anyway, instead of me listing all the facilities, have a look at the link Scoutbase.org.uk

Its not as big as Rough Close but should be ok for our Bushcrafting requirements, if there's enough interest, i'll contact the site warden.

If your interest at looking at how good Scout sites can be for Bushcrafters (I was dubious at first, as I like to get away as far as possible from civilisation!!) Here's the Rough Close meet Jan 1010.
    A few more photo's on my blog too and Jimbo's blog!

Hope this at least gets some ideas moving around!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by WolfCrafter View Post
    IDEA -- BUSHCRAFTING @ SCOUT CAMP BASES??!!

Good to hear shep.. thought id make a start today looking around the web, might as well start along the lines of the popular Rough Close meet site I go to in the mid-lands (next meet organised for March to coincide with the N.E.C outdoor show!) Rough Close is a Scout Camp, (website) so I've been looking in Cambs for sites of the same nature.. here's one Ive found.. Little Abington

The site lists the same activities as Rough Close

Site Available for Camping: All Year
    Suitable for County Camps Yes
    Suitable for District Camps Yes
    Suitable for Patrol Camps Yes
    Suitable for "Backwoods Camps"; Yes
    Altar Fires Yes
    Cooking Area Yes
    Campfire Circle Yes

Other Organizations - Site fee per person 3.00
    Other Organizations - Evening Visitor (incl. use of toilets) 0.80

Anyway, instead of me listing all the facilities, have a look at the link Scoutbase.org.uk

Its not as big as Rough Close but should be ok for our Bushcrafting requirements, if there's enough interest, i'll contact the site warden.

If your interest at looking at how good Scout sites can be for Bushcrafters (I was dubious at first, as I like to get away as far as possible from civilisation!!) Here's the Rough Close meet Jan 1010.
    A few more photo's on my blog too and Jimbo's blog!

Hope this at least gets some ideas moving around!
    Other organizations? I'm not sure Bushcraft, qualifies, they probably mean Guides/Cadets/St John Ambulance, but I my be wrong.
    (BushcraftUK certainly isn't well known enough, if they look into it, they'll realize it's not policed in any way).

I approached the idea of scout sites 6+ years ago! in Norfolk/Suffolk with the same Idea.

one massive problem I'm not sure how you'll get around.....child safety laws/legislation!

Can you prove you are safe? chances are, probably not (even with documentation).

Many sites literally won't allow non-scout groups, and certainly you can forget having a meet whilst scouts are there! (which rules out most weekends and some evenings in the week).

the other big issue is that scouts more than likely will want to camp at the same times i.e. summer, Easter, school half terms, long weekends etc etc.

look at it this way: (sadly it's the way most schools and the media thinks)

imagine you are a slightly concerned parent, your only son starts scouts, you hear the kids talking about unknown men that have been, or are planning to camp on the same site. (nothing more than friendly, considerate Bushcraft).
    Are they planning to come back?
    Are they a threat?
    Are they hiding cameras (or something equally ridiculous)?
    What? they had axes? and Knives?
    It doesn't even need to be the same day for parents to worry unnecessarily!

Scout sites/groups/leaders don't want bad press(or even rumors) yadda yadda, lets not even risk it.....scouts only.
    "Careless talk doesn't save lives, but It does save funds"

when it comes down to it, to a Bushcrafter, any interest in anything even remotely associated with scouts, you're a pedophile unless you are proven to be a scout leader or parent of a scout (but they won't say that).

no doubt the laws will get tighter.

If it's any help, as a "non scout" Bushcrafter I have camped at 3 scout sites:
    one west of Thetford called "two mile bottom", but we've had no replies to E-mails at all.

the other was a site near Bury st Edmunds (i think) it was like the grounds of a hall..scouts were the other end of the 300m field.

the 3rd was a little village south of Norwich, but not really worth it, they never even came to open the toilets or turn the outside water tap on...ugh! very small lawn campfire area with metal bits all over it! not impressed.

If you have any luck, or find any loopholes please tell me!
    Last edited by RAPPLEBY2000; 27-01-2010 at 01:29.
    I'm a fire starter...I cause friction wherever I go

Ok so maybe easiest to arrange to go for a walk first and meet up, we might then get the drive to arrange a 'proper' meet?

Although...ive been thinking that doing some volunteering for a local wildlife trust to help with management or copping might be an easy way to meet and have a bit of a fire, without any hassle and of course we would be helping out.
    Wolf - i dont tend to go out that way but if you do know any areas for a meet or anything, or anyone else for that matter please pipe up. There are a few of us who have posted on here must be worth a little meet?
    There is a nice little patch of ancient woodland called Gamlingay - its on the above map the patch east of St Neots i think. only little and a bit to popular for my liking so if anyone else has some ideas?
    Im happy to give lifts from cambridge if that helps anyone.
    'cept for thee and me,

Wolf - thats a smashing idea.
    For many years my brother and some friends did winter camps, often at scout camps for super cheap and well out in the sticks. Think we got them as he was a leader but a grand idea in my book!

I presume they wouldnt object to a shave horse or two appearing and a bit of whittling and carving going on..?
    Sycamore or willow look the best spots to me.
    :-)
    'cept for thee and me,

As an aside its close enough that if people wanted to come down for the day and pay 80p for a whittle and brew by the fire we could even end up with a reasonable amount of folks.

If it went well - dare i suggest a monthly meet.....? Ok i know getting ahead of myself.

Put me down as definate - only proviso is the date not clashing with something.

If there is interest i might be able to bring some green wood for using - but lets get rough numbers and dates lined up first!
    'cept for thee and me,

I'm interested in this, obviously dependant on dates etc. Looks a nice place

Default Thoughts on Scout Camping

Well it's good to see there's still life left in the thread!!

All good idea's, I'm sure there wouldn't be any problems with a horse! (so long as it's not a live one!)

So long as everyones ethos is 'No Impact/No Trace' Bushcrafting, i.e, no trace of fire/chopping/cutting/.. even leaf litter is re-scattered over flattered ground to cover all traces and tracks! Shouldn't see why we should have a problem regarding us there! With respect to nature, neghbours, their site rules, and of course, the Health & Safety aspects!

There would have to be a comprehensive list of all on site though, (ie no random people turning up late at night with a 6 pack and noise uninvited not recommended) in today's world, I'm afraid things are different to when we were beavers/cubs! You have to respect there are/possibly kids around! And there welfair comes above all things!

Anyway.. Let's not get too deep.. Let's just see if there's enough interst first! No disrespect to the Thread maker! But if interest is low, I might make a newer thread, as this ones so old now!

Happy Crafting

Two comments from the 'Thread maker'.. :-)

Wolf, more then happy for the post to be re-vitalised elsewhere although given its started here it might not hurt to continue here so those of us who have expressed an interest dont get lost. Leave that up to you but if you have then maybe post that here so we find it.

Rappleby,
    I see your point however lets not put obsticals in the way before we have a chance to explore the option. It seems you might have had some bad luck and maybe we could be constrained to weekends when scouts are not using the site but lets have a go and see.
    The website does seem to be relatively open to the idea of 3rd parties using the site.

Wolf - u think it is worth contacting them to see if it has legs at all?

Im happy to, I just dont want to tread on toes, erm paws..

Default Re: Badgeringtim/Rappleby2000

Hi Badgeringtim, re 'New Thread'.... Sorry, didn't mean to go treading on any threading with my big waders, It was just an idea if the thread went.. 'Dead'!! The title 'Cambridgeshire' is good for anyone looking so lets leave it for now aye!

Hi Rappleby2000 (Love the Blatant Bushcraft thread, great to see loads of followers, shame about the Photo response so far, I'm sure the idea will kick off soon though!)

Understand your concerns re: Kids at the camp!! I had those when I first went to 'Rough Close'.. and found it even more bizarre that 'Decorum' only took your profile name when he saw you, then ticked it off the list he had from the Thread attendance! No Checks, no security on the way in!! Specially as there were girl scouts camping in the field next to us.. and like you said, we all had axes etc!

If we need to come up with a more extensive checking system of people, we could always provide documentation, such as a bank statement or similar to prove current living address!.. (and if we get the ok and there's enough interest ill get a CRB check (Criminal Records Bureau Check!.. (40)) (at the moment I'm checked with the 'Home office' for Criminal Records as my job requires it (Money/Banks!!), but I don't think that includes children!

Anyway That aside, Ill chat with Decorum and see how he went about it! (I think he might be a scout leader!)

No worries Badgeringtim about letters, thanks for the offer, but like I said, Ill check first with Decorum, then do a nice hand written letter.
    There's nothing more personal than receiving a hand written correspondence, rather than a rushed e-mail!
    People appreciate the effort taken, and its more memorable. Plus I think I might whittle a quick coffee coaster in the shape of their camp site logo to go on his/her desk!.. 'Trust me' they will remember receiving my letter! (I worked in marketing before my current job so know all the tricks of advertising/marketing to get past the junk mail pile and into their heads!!) Plus it will be a little taster of the things we do!

P.s Lets all keep an eye open for any angles on some woods out there! If anyone knows anyone who shoots pheasants etc., see if you can get a contact number, we might be able to hire the woods out of shooting season! (I did have a random conversation last year with a bloke in my village pub, boasting how he used to be a warden for the local woods! Hav'nt seen him since though!

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast