Alpkit
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1574

Thread: Cambridgeshire

  1. #1501
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,188

    Unhappy

    Hi Guys, LOL I was the Greenivercity "Bushcraft guy" in 2013!
    it's sad, but to be honest it's not a big surprise it's stopping, it was really weirdly organised.
    When I taught with them I worked:via "Greenbackyard", For "Greeniversity", aka "DIY Peterborough", for "Peterborough City College" (All are mentioned on the picture below).





    BTW, It sounds really good but I had no contact at all with the City College whatsoever.


    The courses I was asked to do (I was told) were aimed at offering free "hands on" (non-academic?) courses to the unemployed, because of this all the activities were done at weird times (like the one advertised below) Monday's mid-morning....so that's most of the rest of the population unable to attend even if they wanted to Friday afternoon or a weekend event would have had the steady flow of people!

    I got paid well for the 3 events I did, but because of the weird timing only a few unemployed people actually came to each event. Nice people though.
    I notice they are still doing some of the the courses at similar odd times that only unemployed or shiftworkers could attend, why would they do that? it's beyond me

    anyway, I have more teaching gear than I did then, I'm still about and looking forward to meeting some of you guys, I can easily get to March and the campsite!
    I recognise most of the Quadbike journey, infact I actually lived in one of the houses you drove past on the video!
    Last edited by RAPPLEBY2000; 08-10-2016 at 03:35.
    I'm a fire starter...I cause friction wherever I go

  2. #1502
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Shame its all finishing. Spent some quality time at Bretton with my Grandsons.
    Now I'm sort of unemployed maybe I should think of starting something up. already doing woodworking, blacksmithing and concrete planter making as a hobby
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  3. #1503

    Default

    Kev, if you were to start something up. I would be interested in my 12 year old lad attending on a regular basis. We decided to homeschool him at the beginning of his year. Unfortunately, many of the homeschool activities within 20 miles are geared up for the younger kids.

  4. #1504
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by didicoy View Post
    Kev, if you were to start something up. I would be interested in my 12 year old lad attending on a regular basis. We decided to homeschool him at the beginning of his year. Unfortunately, many of the homeschool activities within 20 miles are geared up for the younger kids.
    BTW...you probably know I'm a fully qualified school Maths and ICT teacher as well
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  5. #1505
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,188

    Default

    I'd be very happy to join you guys if you are interested in starting a fenns skills group, (I live about 10 miles from Kev) I'd love to learn basic blacksmithing! I've started to teach a whole load of slightly different subjects and activities along with bushcraft to see if theres an interest. I also went to a couple of the Bretton events, I taught Bushcraft there twice and once in the grounds of the community center the other side of the footpath, I think, it was nice but the access was awful, it was really difficult to set up my gear there.
    I think I did an office "away day" for PECT there. the shame was it was a long way I didn't know the woods.
    They had a skill/training bartering system which sounded good but was a bit complex and it seemed you had to be very dedicated for it to work, I could never use it because of the travelcost and family commitments, shame really, could have been good.
    There was aparently a "survival" guy that did sessions but I never met him, just wondering if he is on BCUK?
    I'm a fire starter...I cause friction wherever I go

  6. #1506
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Mr

    Quote Originally Posted by RAPPLEBY2000 View Post
    I'd be very happy to join you guys if you are interested in starting a fenns skills group, (I live about 10 miles from Kev) I'd love to learn basic blacksmithing! I've started to teach a whole load of slightly different subjects and activities along with bushcraft to see if theres an interest. I also went to a couple of the Bretton events, I taught Bushcraft there twice and once in the grounds of the community center the other side of the footpath, I think, it was nice but the access was awful, it was really difficult to set up my gear there.
    I think I did an office "away day" for PECT there. the shame was it was a long way I didn't know the woods.
    They had a skill/training bartering system which sounded good but was a bit complex and it seemed you had to be very dedicated for it to work, I could never use it because of the travelcost and family commitments, shame really, could have been good.
    There was aparently a "survival" guy that did sessions but I never met him, just wondering if he is on BCUK?
    Sounds good. I could assist Bushy stuff and do Blacksmithing and basic carpentry
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  7. #1507
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I've just booked. 10 refundable off new book. 1 hour talk followed by book signing

    Ray Mears in Ely

    Thursday 24th November

    • Venue The Octagon, Ely Cathedral, CB7 4DL
    • Doors open 6.45pm
    • Start time 7.30pm

    Dear Kev,

    Thank you for your email. Ray Mears is doing an event with us in the Cathedral (under the Octagon!) on 24th November. The tickets are sold by us and the event is published on our website here. He will be talking for an hour, and then he will be signing copies of the book afterwards. You can buy tickets via the website link above.

    I do hope this helps. Do please give us a shout if you have any more questions.

    Best wishes,
    Rebecca


    Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely

    9 High Street
    Ely
    Cambridgeshire
    CB7 4LJ

    Telephone: (01353) 645005
    Visit our website | Twitter | Facebook
    Last edited by Whittler Kev; 26-10-2016 at 19:28.
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  8. #1508
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    622

    Default

    What new book?

  9. #1509
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickyamos View Post
    What new book?
    This new book...

    https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...t-Signed-Copy/

  10. #1510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whittler Kev View Post
    I've just booked. 10 refundable off new book. 1 hour talk followed by book signing

    Ray Mears in Ely

    Thursday 24th November

    • Venue The Octagon, Ely Cathedral, CB7 4DL
    • Doors open 6.45pm
    • Start time 7.30pm
    I took my lad along to see Ray last night. What I should have done was looked at your profile kev. I was second guessing who you may be in the crowd. But alas, like ships in the night and all that. We really enjoyed the night. I hope it inspires my lad to spend less time on computer games. Me and my lad have long blonde-ish hair. I have a long rats tail beard. My lads hair was in a plait that goes down to his ****.

  11. #1511
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default MrI

    Quote Originally Posted by didicoy View Post
    I took my lad along to see Ray last night. What I should have done was looked at your profile kev. I was second guessing who you may be in the crowd. But alas, like ships in the night and all that. We really enjoyed the night. I hope it inspires my lad to spend less time on computer games. Me and my lad have long blonde-ish hair. I have a long rats tail beard. My lads hair was in a plait that goes down to his ****.
    I was beside the 1st monitor on the left. Big bloke, white beard and a red walking stick

    Last edited by Whittler Kev; 25-11-2016 at 22:30.
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  12. Default

    I saw you there Whittler Kev. Think I overheard you telling someone in the signing queue about the differences in a DC3 and a DC4?
    Had a look at your blog, great that you do the stuff for reduced mobility - I have difficulty with my wrists and hands and find some things incredibly frustrating.

  13. #1513
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whosraymears View Post
    I saw you there Whittler Kev. Think I overheard you telling someone in the signing queue about the differences in a DC3 and a DC4?
    Had a look at your blog, great that you do the stuff for reduced mobility - I have difficulty with my wrists and hands and find some things incredibly frustrating.
    Yo dude. Yep that was me - she works with primary schools and hadn't mastered sharpening yet.
    Thanks for looking at the blog....I must put some new content on it. Turning on a lathe at the mo as struggling to get out and about (haven't been to work for 9 months). I've got access to 5 acres of private wood and looking at using some council woods as well hopefully than can be driven too and easily walked in to (the 5 acres mean crossing a dyke at the mo. Don't forget Facebooks Cambridgeshire Bushcraft group as well as several members are in your area
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  14. #1514
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I'll get it in early. Nappy crimbo and Santa time all
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  15. #1515
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    Happy Christmas Kev hope to get out and see you in the new year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "squirrels noses, otters spleens, sparrows wings get them while their hot there lovely."

  16. #1516
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Merry Christmas everyone

  17. #1517
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,805

    Default

    And you too Ricky


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "squirrels noses, otters spleens, sparrows wings get them while their hot there lovely."

  18. #1518
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Happy Santa's day all. Hope you got what you wanted/needed.
    I got new chisels, whittling book from one of my daughters and a new Hammock chair from crafty Santa
    Last edited by Whittler Kev; 25-12-2016 at 22:04.
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  19. #1519
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Nappy new yearickus everyone
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  20. #1520

    Default

    Happy New Year Kev. Hopefully we will get to spend some quality time in Cambridgeshire woods.

  21. #1521
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Hello Kev and everyone else. Been a good while since I've logged on to this site - good to see this thread is still alive Unfortunately, life in general has kept me from here, and most outdoor activities for far too long!

    To save me scrolling back through many pages, do we still meet up somewhere? If so when's the next one planned for? Could really do with a sit round a camp fire with a cuppa and a good chat
    Last edited by eel28; 04-01-2017 at 15:06.
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

  22. #1522
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eel28 View Post
    Hello Kev and everyone else. Been a good while since I've logged on to this site - good to see this thread is still alive Unfortunately, life in general has kept me from here, and most outdoor activities for far too long!

    To save me scrolling back through many pages, do we still meet up somewhere? If so when's the next one planned for? Could really do with a sit round a camp fire with a cuppa and a good chat
    As per normal..loads of armchair crafters in Cambridgeshire ha ha.
    There was a group and a meetup in Cambridge (and still on Facebook) but it fizzled out I believe. The founder is trying to start a school up.
    I still get out when I can but rarely overnight even though I am allowed in the 5 acres I have access to in March. If you want to meet up any time over here, give me a shout (goes for anyone reading this) and if you want to bring someone to sleep overnight with you your welcome
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  23. #1523
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I'm shouting Kev even if it's just an afternoon - fresh air and some 'man chat' is severely lacking in my life! Although if an overnight is an option, then all the better
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

  24. #1524
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eel28 View Post
    I'm shouting Kev even if it's just an afternoon - fresh air and some 'man chat' is severely lacking in my life! Although if an overnight is an option, then all the better
    Sweet. Anyone else want a meet? Want to keep company for an overnighter? I'm nearly always available for a day meet since retirement has started to set in ha ha.
    Any dates anyone suggesting?
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  25. #1525
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I'm in the process of moving house at moment, hopefully that'll happen this month, so anytime Feb onwards, Saturday and/or Sunday, with possibilities of Fridays, is good for me
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

  26. #1526
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Mr

    Quote Originally Posted by eel28 View Post
    I'm in the process of moving house at moment, hopefully that'll happen this month, so anytime Feb onwards, Saturday and/or Sunday, with possibilities of Fridays, is good for me
    Anyone else about? Fancy joining someone for an overnighter?
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

  27. #1527
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    572

    Default

    There's no need for anyone to rush in 'joining in' dates have not even been mentioned yet, and as I have mentioned previously, I won't be able to make it until at least February!

    Once I'm free, and have all my kit accessible and in one place we can start looking at dates
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

  28. #1528

    Default

    Hi all. I just wanted to register my interest in a meet, should one come up. I'd definitely class myself as a newbie, but very keen to learn. I've looked for places to go myself, to practice what I've learnt, but not being from round these parts, it's proven difficult. So, should anyone be going out, even for a day and wouldn't mind a tag-along, I'd like to join you.

    Cheers, Gareth.

  29. #1529

    Default

    I forgot to say my location, d'oh! I'm in Peterborough area but more than willing to travel.

  30. #1530
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    March, UK
    Posts
    4,280
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig_Goch View Post
    Hi all. I just wanted to register my interest in a meet, should one come up. I'd definitely class myself as a newbie, but very keen to learn. I've looked for places to go myself, to practice what I've learnt, but not being from round these parts, it's proven difficult. So, should anyone be going out, even for a day and wouldn't mind a tag-along, I'd like to join you.

    Cheers, Gareth.
    Hi dude. Should have one coming round soon in Feb at a 5 acre private wood in March. It will be carry all in and out (although we do have a group fire and just ask no burning rubbish while someone's cooking), Bring everything you need with you (food, water, etc).
    The easiest way in is to walk by the woods and then come back after crossing a field access bridge (not jumping the dyke and falling in like someone did last time ha ha)
    Whittler Kev.
    Alii voluptatem ligna metallo fusionem - Happy as a.
    http://bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com/ & http://bushcraftblacksmith.wordpress. com/

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •