Alpkit

Thread: TOP 5 axe makers

Default TOP 5 axe makers

I would like to know what the best 5 makers of axes are for bushcraft use. I am always looking at old tools etc and would like to have the knowledge of good tools at hand
    The Ark was built by an amateur, the Titanic by professionals.

Best three makers whose work I've handled are
    Cegga
    Lee Reeves
    Goran Enocksson

In terms of factory brands I would steer away from Wetterlings since there QC has lately has been dire so add

Hultafors
    Gransfor Bruks

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

Cegga is god, i pray to the Bushcraft gods everyday that i will one day have one of his Axes

But for Factory or Manufactured axes i would say Gransfors are superb.
    Jamie

Camping: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beverage, hot shower and flushing toilet.

gransfor rocked until i got a cegga but they are still realy good axes just the quality and finish on the cegga is awesome
    live for today tomorrow mite never happen

My mouse finger is also poised for the last cegga/BR Hunter GB, but I know I'll miss it!!

I've got an outstanding birthday present to buy myself and SWMBO has consented to getting me a nice new axe to replace my current gerber which even after extensive reprofiling is still carp! I'd love a cegga/BR Hunter but am thinking about the Alan Finlay one shown here with a GB SFA as the last option, bit worried about the helves on the SFAs though seems like there's been some QC issues there too.

so here I sit, mouse finger poised...

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter.uk View Post
    I would like to know what the best 5 makers of axes are for bushcraft use. I am always looking at old tools etc and would like to have the knowledge of good tools at hand
    It depends on what you are looking for, for a large felling axe I don't think you can beat an old Elwell and it will cost less than 10 for a head to handle yourself, for smaller axes the ones everyone is mentioning all work well but if you like old tools and are prepared to put a bit of time in to renovating them I like old English made Kent pattern axes, there were lots of makers hand forging axes in the UK up to the 1930's Greave's, Brade's, Gilpin, Staniforth and those axe heads are now available at car boot fairs for a few pounds each. This sort of thing.

I like the look of this though ebay is not the cheapest place to buy. This is a proper felling axe, not a pack axe, more than twice the weight of gransfors small forest.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REALLY-VERY-OL...QQcmdZViewItem