Alpkit

Thread: rose mountain fire piston

Default rose mountain fire piston

now I've not had much luck with fire pistons. the one i made didn't work and the one 3please got off the net we couldn't get to work. so i was a bit skeptical about getting one until i found the ones Kelly rose makes. i thought if it don't work it still looks good and i can use it as a preset to dispatch rabbits

it took nearly three weeks to get to me so when it eventually got here i was eager to try it out.
    as soon as i got home and saw the package i riped it open, and with in a minuet i had a glowing ember at the end of the fire piston. it worked first time.
    so for the next hour i set about trying different tinders in it. it worked with all the types of char cloth i had, even the ones of poor quality which didn't work with flint and steel, and it even lit cramp balls OK as well.

heres some pics of the piston and the bits it came with.

cheers mark
    we are going to the same place just by different paths
    TREE GURUnot

woodlife.ning.com

Thanks for posting. That is a very pretty thing. I like.

I'm tempted to have a play with fire pistons. The all brass units look a good place to start, but seem a little too industrial for my liking. Looking at that one I suppose I could play in brass and add a turned wood sleeve if I get on with it.

My rubbish eyes are telling me that it has a rubber O ring as the seal, along with a little bag of spares, correct? For the benefit of a fire piston novice what is that on the lanyard? Looks like a tool of some sort.

Have fun.

yes it has an o ring, gets really good compression.
    the tool is an antler pick to help get the hot ember out the end of the piston.
    TREE GURUnot

woodlife.ning.com

Do you have a link to Kelly Rose? it does look a bit like a skipping rope handle,but a lot of work obviously went into making it.

i dont know how to put up links yet. if you google it you will get it ok. hes on utube.
    TREE GURUnot

woodlife.ning.com

Quote Originally Posted by lupus View Post
    i dont know how to put up links yet. if you google it you will get it ok. hes on utube.
    http://www.fire-pistons.com/

Andy

Thanks,Andy & Mark.
    They look good value with the strength of the £ vs $.

That does look nice Mark,look forward to seeing it in action soon.
    Litefoot.
    Litefoot,never afraid rumpus ventus per valde fanaticus.