Alpkit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Make a Fire Fork!

Blog Entries

Post How to Make a Fire Fork! Tutorial

A fire fork is used to hold things onto a stick, you can buy them but like most bushcrafters I prefer to make my own.
    They are not as pretty as the ones you can buy but they do exactly the same job and are about 99% cheaper

What you need:
    18" of relatively stiff steel wire (you can snarf this from a broken fence.)
    Wire Cutters
    Strong Pliers (Square or round nose, it doesn't matter)
    Something Cylindrical.

-----

Ok, get the wire and snip it to about 18", this is plenty long enough for this project.
    Find out where the middle is and wrap it around a cylinder, this can be a stick, a board marker or in my case, a lipstick tube

Only wrap once, like shown above and then grab your pliers, I personally work better with round nose ones but what ever you have is good.

Try to make the bend as close to the loop as possible:

Do this on both sides:

Now about 2" down you will need to make another bend in the wire.
    This is towards the middle like this:

Do it on both sides.

Now grab the wire about half way again and bend it into a 'U' shape:

Pull the two apart a bit and bend the ends in to make the prongs:

Finished!

To attach your fork to a stick all you need to do is thread the stick through the standing
    loop and then squeeze the two U shaped bits so they overlap and pop the end through.

NB: You need to use pretty stiff wire to get the tension to hold the fork to the stick.

Happy Bending!

Last edited by Cobweb; 09-03-2008 at 16:53. Reason: Added more pics.

Nice one!

cheers,
    Toddy
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Ah, I see, I was trying to work out what this was for but now I see it's for toasitng things over a fire?

Blog Entries

Yup, I've successfully toasted bread, a couple of sausages and numerous marshmallows

Ah OK, I just use a stick.

Blog Entries

Erm....why not just sharpen a forked stick in situ?
    Or am I missing something?
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

Blog Entries

Lol, you aren't missing anything John. I just saw them on a site once upon a time and thought I could make one of those!

The metal heats up and cooks meat from the inside so it's about 20% quicker. A forked stick works as well although it dosen't really cook the food from the inside, and using one of these is quicker than stripping and sharpening.

Each to their own

You can also use these with any dead stick lying around - rather than everyone cutting live branches from trees.

I know that the use of green branches / wands can be done responsibly (by coppicing etc), but thats not always the case, and is not always allowed / sustainable in more heavily used places.

I've got one and think they're a good idea - although I also like to use a green stick (if the circumstances allow).

I hadn't thought about the cooking from the inside bit - I'll pay more attention in future.

Brilliant! I got a couple of fire forks from http://www.leevalley.com for Christmas as stocking stuffers... this is a terrific tutorial, and nice photos too.

Cheers,

Mungo
    Read my blog: Mungo Says Bah!
    Withnail: We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now.

Great Tutorial !!! Better than "forking" out 4 for a light my fire one !!

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2  66&dateline=1221166572

Great tutorial Cobweb,
    Though I would advise caution if you were to "Snarf some wire from a broken fence!"
    Most fencing wire that I've come across has been galvanised with zinc - which is known to give off toxic fumes when heated. I don't know if the heat of a standard cooking fire is high enough to produce the toxins but it might not be worth the risk. A length of stainless steel wire shouldn't be too difficult to source for this project and would be a longer lasting.

ATB

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome
    www.Reddragonbushcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ogri the trog View Post
    A length of stainless steel wire shouldn't be too difficult to source for this project and would be a longer lasting.
    I've been wondering about using that 'piano wire' you used to be able to buy from model shops in various thicknesses ..
    ...are you sure I only need 1 ?

One more bit of kit that you dont really need

Angry Negative swines.

I'm loving the negative responses to this and other threads tonight. Keep 'em coming folks, I'm sure the originators of the threads are delighted at being put down by superior people that go out with their toothbrush and Mora and nothing else.

Probably not, but it weighs next to nothing, cooks sausages (or fishes) without mucking up a pot, makes good toast without scorched fingers, and howks out boiled things with no fuss......and all the while it's fire hardening a diggin' stick

cheers,
    Toddy

Ooops cross post with Spamel.
    Last edited by Toddy; 09-03-2008 at 20:30. Reason: oops
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I like these for several reasons.

1) They're really good for kids, esp. small kids. Even some adults turn sharpening a stick into a dangerous activity.

2) They prevent the sausage from rotating on the stick.

3) They're very lighweight

cheers I was about to by 2, out comes the wire
    The Ark was built by an amateur, the Titanic by professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by spamel View Post
    I'm loving the negative responses to this and other threads tonight. Keep 'em coming folks, I'm sure the originators of the threads are delighted at being put down by superior people that go out with their toothbrush and Mora and nothing else.
    What will it be next a how to make a microwave

Quote Originally Posted by jasons View Post
    What will it be next a how to make a microwave
    Is that supposed to be funny?

Is that supposed to be funny?
    hand bags

Somehow it seems you're not taking this seriously and just want to rip other peoples posts, thoughts and ideas. I've no idea what makes you think you are the all seeing all knowing expert on a hobby that has so many variations that nobody can even describe it without disagreement from other people.

If somebody wants to do something, let them crack on. Positive help in this instance could be helpful, but to ridicule a person because it doesn't fit in to the carry less know more ethos that some people seem to worship smacks of insecurity on your part. Is Ray Mears wrong because he carries a DC4 when he coud use a stone from a river? Are you gonna be the one to tell him he hasn't got a clue? Somehow, I doubt it.

That's an excellent tutorial!

Sod the nay-sayers and be happy with what you want to do.

I think this could be great with my Scouts. Thanks!

Okay, Jason, since you find the idea so risible.
    Go on, you post a tutorial on how to make something that will do all the firefork will, and we'll discuss just how useful or practical, or not, that it may be.

Tbh I don't see this as any different to one of those folding handles for billies

cheers,
    Toddy

I dont see what the problem is bushcraft to me is all about improvising and making that from a bit of wire is improvising to me
    good tutorial mate
    keep experimenting

Gordon
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished

Blog Entries

Whoa!
    When I asked if I was missing something the initial reply pointed out that - yes I was!
    I had not thought of the cooking meat from the inside as well or that some may find sharpening sticks dangerous or non sustainable.
    So yes the wire has it points ( pun!) and making your own IS a lot more satisfying than buying the ready mades!
    I was not trying to put anyone down - it was an honest enquiry into the reason for having one.
    They obviously have their supporters, though I do not think I will be making one myself as I tend not to grill too much - I carry a bl**dy great bake stone for my bannock and fry stuff on it as well - but I can now see their bushy potential.
    Good luck to all DIYers out there!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

Spamel,
    I have absolutely no interest in being negative to any or all threads, my post was merely to indicate the possibility of a health issue that I want people to be aware of. I am more than willing to remove my post if someone can come up with definate information as to the heat causing toxic emmission issue.
    I'm sure that if you were to look back at my posts, there would be a good number advising making something for yourself rather than buy blindly without trying.

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome
    www.Reddragonbushcraft.com

No Ogri, I found that informative and could stop somebody killing themselves by inhaling the fumes. No probs with that, just some folk knocking someone for trying something seems a bit off to me. Maybe I'm just a bit irritable at the moment. I'll call it a night I think and pop back tomorrow.

Somehow it seems you're not taking this seriously and just want to rip other peoples posts, thoughts and ideas. I've no idea what makes you think you are the all seeing all knowing expert on a hobby that has so many variations that nobody can even describe it without disagreement from other people.

If somebody wants to do something, let them crack on. Positive help in this instance could be helpful, but to ridicule a person because it doesn't fit in to the carry less know more ethos that some people seem to worship smacks of insecurity on your part. Is Ray Mears wrong because he carries a DC4 when he coud use a stone from a river? Are you gonna be the one to tell him he hasn't got a clue? Somehow, I doubt it.
    Sorry if I have up set you. but what is wrong whith a stick and as far as insecurity meet me and you will find thats not my problem .is it me or has this site gone down the pan it just seems that this site is kit kit and more kit

Genius - I'm going to have to make one just for the fun of it!

Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroon
    There are too many people with a mouth full of much obliged and a hand full of gimme who bang on about rights but have no clue as to responsibilities

Enough.
    Silly posturing does no one any favours.

DIY kit is surely a good thing especially something so simple. Two foot of wire and five minutes of time, or 5 to buy.....

This particular bit of the forum is "DIY and Traditional Crafts" so the thread is totally appropriate, and I know of forks being used to deal with food near fires for over two thousand years so it's hardly a new concept.

cheers,
    Toddy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast