Okay - I've read a couple of comments recently about "we need more skills based articles". So I guess its time for another competition!
I for one really enjoyed seeing all the skills in "pimp my firesteel" and "build a bucksaw" so here we are - in honour of the new site - the third "Red challenges you to...." Make a cooking rig competition
This one is designed to handicap the talented carpenters (sorry Jon and Weaver ) and show a good range of fieldcraft skills
So - here are the rules
1. The purpose is to construct a "field expedient" cooking rig suitable for use over a fire (using field or recycled wood etc.)
2. You need to take photos of your cooking rig and demonstrate it can hold at least a billy can with a pint of water in it. Linked threads showing the construction process are particularly encouraged
3. The competition will run from now until the end of June.
4. The winner will be decided by a poll of the members (or semi final polls and a final poll if more than 10 entries are received)
5. The only allowable tools are knife, axe and folding saw
6. To protect your gardens for urban dwellers, no fire need be lit - just show the rig
7. The price is an "over 18" item so written parental consent will be needed from under 18s (and Lurch who isn't to be trusted with sharp things )
If you would like to enter, please enter in the thread below. If you want to contribute something to the prize fund (unused kit, made items etc.) please feel free - all prizes to be sent directly to the winner - no need to do so though.
So - the prize? A rather nicely made replica of an early I.XL folding knife. Frame lock, wood scales, engraved bolsters, clip point and gentle hollow grind. 10" OAL and 4" cutting edge
If you want to play, please signal your interest on this thread...