Alpkit
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: building my canoe

Default building my canoe

Ive been building it for about 2 or 3 weeks now but im finally getting somewhere now that its the christmas holiday!

Oh nice one

Will you post step by step?
    How did you bend the ribs?

Sorry to be a pain, but I really, really like seeing and reading about things folks make for themselves

Cheers,
    Toddy
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

Yep, im going to try and show each step of the way!

Did you know that i have never even been in a canoe before and now im making one! So the first canoe i set foot in will be one i have made!

No preconceptions then
    Parallel development throws up some interesting things too
    What are you thinking of using to cover the hull?

atb,
    Mary

Cotton Canvas 15oz

http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/p...fm?catID=3#446

Do you think that will work well?

Should do, but if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it shrinks. It might be worth while contacting Whalleys and asking for the spec on the fabric.
    The shrinking can be a good thing since it makes everything tight, but it can be a real pita if it pulls things apart

Cheers,
    Toddy

Very nice, Jerv Keep posting the photos, I am looking forward to see your canoe progress and ultimately on the water.
    I think you'll find the 15oz canvas is more like cardboard, and much more difficult to strech by hand, I'd go for the 9.5oz, particularly since your boat is 3metres long, much easier to work and would absorb less paint as well, making it lighter. You really have to strech the canvas a lot to ensure it won't sag when in the water.I would not worry about the shrinkage, it would not be enough to crush your frame. Before you paint it, spray some water on the canvas, it helps tightening things up.
    My blog

Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity, so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand.

Looks good, I cant wait yo see it finished.

Can you swim?
    Crime does not pay ... as well as politics. Alfred E. Newman.

before i paint the canvas do i spray it with water and then let it dry or paint it while its wet?

Thanks for the advice jojo!

I can't wait till its on the water! Is it likely that i will fall out at some point? I can swim but im gonna wear a life jacket just in case.

just coat the fabric in bitchamen! tar!

You lightly spray just enough to damp the skin and let it dry. You can use Thompson's water seal as a first coat, it also help prevent mildew. That takes several days to dry before you can paint over it, with oil based primer . When the primer has dried but is still fairly soft you can rub it with your hand to smooth the coat and fill the weave of the canvas. You get a smoother surface that way and you don't need so many coats to get a smooth surface,less weight to carry .

I made a filler once called by my daughter: troll snot : talcum powder mixed with boiled linseed oil, a sicky looking paste but it did work quite well to fill the weave! It dried fairly quickly if I remember correctly then painted straight on it with one coat of primer and then gloss, in fact tha'ts on the kayak on the photos. You can sand between coats, but only very lightly so as not to damage the canvas.
    My blog

Nature is full of genius, full of the divinity, so that not a snowflake escapes its fashioning hand.

how did you bend the ribs jon ?
    leon
    The journey is far more important than the destination.

Could i manage without the Thompson's water seal and the troll snot? Could i just get away with using oil based paint?

And how much does the canvas need to be stretched over the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by leon-b
    how did you bend the ribs jon ?
    leon
    first i thought about boiling the ribs to make them bend and i even had a go. However that turned out to be too much of a faf

So instead i cut the hazel fresh, made the ribs and managed to bend them without the majority snapping I just very gently trained them to take a bend.
    Then i tied both ends of the ribs together so that they kept their shape. Finally i dried the ribs up against my radiator (amazingly they didnt crack!) When they were totaly dry after a day or 2 later i took the strings off and they kept their shape!

And there you have it, a rib!

However i think now im going to use boiling water and a towel to bend the rest to get them just the right shape.

Any questions please ask because it helps me too!

how far are you with it now ?
    is hazel the best wood to use ?
    leon

Im not much further than on the pics.

I chose hazel because i have plenty of it and it bends easy. Howeber i dont know if it is the best wood. I hear willow is supposed to be quite good. And if you have any Cedar then you're laughing

Yes of course you can. It just mean you probably need more paint and the surface may be a bit rougher than if you use a filler. Just use some primer and straight on the gloss. Stretch the canvas as much as you can so that it is as tight as possible, wetting it afterwards will also help to tighen up a bit further.
    My blog

Made some really good progerss today! Had to force my self to stop because my hands started to get a little saw

As you can see i have put 5 longitudinals in and i've made about 6 more ribs. Im just waiting for the new ribs to dry and then im going to fit them propperly. The whole thing is getting more solid rib by rib

I will keep you up to date on any changes!

Looks very good!

Has a little bit of an currach look to it.

Should work a treat! I look forward to more pictures as you progress and hope you have a good paddle when it is finished. Don't forget to name it, be careful when you smash the bottle over it!!

thats looking great mate, well done and happy christmas lol
    leon

Fantastic

take lots of photos, we're looking forward to your tutorial!
    Success is not measured by what you have, but by what you can do without.

tutorial!! lol

Thats a big tutorial

Default ...

Im Very impressed! I wish I had the time and the dedication to do something like this! One day im sure!

How do you know the ribs will fit? do you sort their shape before you go to dry them or do you just hope for the best?

Regards, Bunn

for the first few ribs it was a bit of a guessing game, but then when i had them correct and fitted the longitudinals, the rest of the ribs just take the right shape when i pressed them in.

But i do roughly measure the rib wood before hand. And if they snap i just make a smaller rib for the ends which taper. If you get what i mean

That looks really good JonR You probably won't need to put the ribs so close together toward the ends because they wont need to support your weight. are you also using hazel for the longitudinals?
    My blog

Thanks! Everything is hazel, is that good or bad?

Considering this is the first i have ever made i think im doing pretty well

Jon R, you are doing extremely well ! Hazel is not a boat building wood, but that matters not at all when native people made their canoes they would have used the best most appropriate wood, but I am sure that they would also use whatever was available. After all your canoe will not spend all its time on the water, and if you don't let her get full of rain water it will probably last a very long time!. When I build mine, I use a mix of linseel oil and a bit of red oil paint to protect the frame, but you can also use varnish, that would last longer than the oil.
    Last edited by jojo; 19-12-2006 at 19:11.
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by jon r
    Thanks! Everything is hazel, is that good or bad?

Considering this is the first i have ever made i think im doing pretty well
    The currachs were usually made of hazel wands. They were stuck in the ground and bent over instead of drilling through though.

Great work Jon. Puts our little scout jobby in the shade

Keep at it.....
    If you do not know where you are going, any road will take you there...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast