Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas conversion for trangia

Default Gas conversion for trangia

Does anyone use one?
    how do you find it?
    Where was the cheapest place you found?
    What cannisters do they use and are they expensive?
    Sorry for all the questions but i'm thinking of getting one instead of an optimus nova and conversion as funds are tight. I love the setup of the trangia but i find meths soo slow and not all that hot especially in the colder months.
    thanks for any suggestions
    More luck than judgment realy

The Trangia is a great stove system and I love all the versions I have tried. My wife however will only use the stove when fitted with the gas convertion, so she can simmer and have instant heat control. The version I have is pretty old now (can't remember the price)but uses self sealing removable canisters which being fairly standard are easy to find and not expensive. Worth getting!

there are ( and have been) lots of conversions: Optimus, Primus, MSR Whisperlite - you name it. The best IMHO is the KAP Arctic .... link via search button of this forum

With a little tinkering you could probably fit the burner you want to the windshield.

After a little practice I found it not nessessary to use a canister/liquid gas/petrol/kerosene stove. Well, I must say Iīm not using my Trangia at arctic temperatures and not just in the worst cases I use a Kelly Kettle as a backup.

Default They are the mutts nuts

Bought one and my friend now has one too. These things really are a fantastic bit of kit. Got mine with the Trangia, but I can get one for Ģ30. Seriously good bit of kit and really (and I mean really) quick to heat and cook on. We boiled about 1.25 litres of water in the pan in 4 minutes dead and it was bubbling over the edge of the pot, not just so there were small bubbles breaking the surface of the water like some stove companies reckon is boiling!!!
    Gas cannisters are reasonably priced too.
    I am going to be buying the bigger pots they do now so I can start to do my famous game casserole as I keep getting sooooo many requests for it now, it is doing my head in.
    Buy one and relax, knowing that if you bin the kettle and boil water in the small pan, you can carry the gas converter and meths burner inside the stove and be more flexible.
    My converter also came in a really nice Trangia bag inside the set.
    My friend who got his converter has the stainless steel trangia copy from blacks and it fits that too. He is over the moon with it and takes it on all his bike trips.
    Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Ok i couldn't wait so i just ordered one from field and trek. Apparently it is illegal to send gas cannisters through the post which sounds reasonable so i am hoping somewhere like millets does them.
    Thanks for all your help

They take any standard screw type gas cartridge you can pick up at many stores, but remember that you loose performance when the cans get cold, thats where the Nova wins hands down.

The KAP is a great stove, I'm on the lookout for one myself to add to my stove collection

Forward where the knocks are hardest, some to failure, some to fame;
    Never mind the cheers or hooting, keep your head and play the game

The addition of a MSR Whisperlite or a dedicated Primus Gasstove converts this great concept of nesting pots/pans/windscreens in a real stove.
    -----------------------------------------------------

is there a conversion for the whisperlite (international) then
    ...are you sure I only need 1 ?

Talking

I think they are the only way to use a Trangia. I also agree that they will allow you to simmer a pot in a way that the meths burners will not. If you can't or don't make a fire then a gas conversion is about the only way to make things like pancakes without burning the pan.
    Fred

Fortune is infatuated with the efficient - Persian Proverb

Be careful to buy the right gas cylanders, they are not all suitable.

Round here camping gaz are cheaper per cc but they don't fit.

I also bought some designed for blow trches from B&Q wqhich are about the size of a WD40 can.They are fine when upright but that stretchs teh hose, they can work on their side but if they tip up too much you end up with liquid butane and a 12" flame!!
    "No other species in the universe goes camping. Celebrate you own uniqueness" - Capt. Jack Harkness.

I love my Trangia 28 "Mini" to absolute pieces, but it is without a doubt a three season stove. It snowed quite badly here in Nanaimo a couple of weeks ago, so one afternoon I took my Trangia outside to see how it would do with melting snow. Everyone knows how small the pot is with the Mini, right? Well, it took me almost 20 minutes to melt a pot of snow and I did not receive anything resembling a boil, regardless of the fact that I used a good windscreen and insulated the bottom from the ground.

Spring, Summer, or Fall, the Trangia is a magnificent lightweight stove. But in the wintertime, forget about it!

Adam
    "You're crazy." "Am I? Or am I so sane that you just blew your mind?!"

Quote Originally Posted by addyb
    I love my Trangia 28 "Mini" to absolute pieces, but it is without a doubt a three season stove. It snowed quite badly here in Nanaimo a couple of weeks ago, so one afternoon I took my Trangia outside to see how it would do with melting snow. Everyone knows how small the pot is with the Mini, right? Well, it took me almost 20 minutes to melt a pot of snow and I did not receive anything resembling a boil, regardless of the fact that I used a good windscreen and insulated the bottom from the ground.

Spring, Summer, or Fall, the Trangia is a magnificent lightweight stove. But in the wintertime, forget about it!

Adam
    There is a multifuel burner available, which makes it a good 4-season stove. Same principle as MSR and optimus, but compatible with the trangia system. I really like the windscreen of the 25, and I can't stand the flimsy foil versions from msr.
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

A house is not a home without a greyhound.

This links contains some pics who may be useful, the text is Danish.
    http://www.aye.dk/multifuel/

This pic shows a MSR to trangia adapter. (Swedish)
    http://www.fjallklubben.org/stockholm/kok.html

It's comming Chinese copies of Primus MFS no, approx 1/2 cost, burns liquid and cannister -fuel.
    Probably available nearer than this, but...
    http://mroutdoor.no/primus.htm

dsk

Quote Originally Posted by fred gordon
    I think they are the only way to use a Trangia. I also agree that they will allow you to simmer a pot in a way that the meths burners will not. If you can't or don't make a fire then a gas conversion is about the only way to make things like pancakes without burning the pan.

You would like to make a simple thing complicated?
    Why?
    Did you have a look at the spare parts price list?
    One MSR is the equivalent of a couple of Trangia burners

You donīt know how to simmer on a meth. burner?
    Use the simmer ring and if itīs a real problem put some water in the burner (10% of fuel vol.) or use the Tatonka burner or best use a pot cozy

You donīt know how to make pancakes on a trangia?
    Never ever take a thin titanium (or aluminum) pan, forget Teflon.
    Use a (carbon)steel pan

@ Adam: Best on the T28 is the burner, the rest ....
    Iīd fabricate a potstand myself or take a Clikstand or Westwind if Iīm in need for a light version. A real light storm stove is the Caldera Cone Stove, it has been discussed here on the forum - youīll find it via the Search button.

An other real alc. powered stormstove is the Optimus 91 Tor. It is used by Swedish army ranger units. Sweden isnīt really a tropical country .....

Well the burner arrived yesterday and i got some gas today. The whole thing works realy well. Controllable flame, hot burn etc. All apart from one thing. Now that iv'e connected the gas canister i can't take it off untill it's empty which means i can't nest the trangia. So the whole thing takes up 3 times the room it did before

Did you buy the proper trangia gas converter (which I think is just a Primus Easyfuel without legs)? - there's no reason why it can't be undone from partially used cannister.

Thanks, Cyclist.

Adam
    "You're crazy." "Am I? Or am I so sane that you just blew your mind?!"

The conversion kit for the Nova or Primus Varifuel costs Ģ6.50 from www.base-camp.co.uk its a two minute job to do the conversion

Simmering on a Trangia, just practise with the simmer ring, you can get around an hours burn on a fill of alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist
    :
    You donīt know how to simmer on a meth. burner?

Why should one want to do it? It takes ages just to get the water boiling!

Quote Originally Posted by bikething
    is there a conversion for the whisperlite (international) then
    Something like this:

Oetzi, that looks very interesting

Any idea where i could get one from???

please?

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by oetzi
    Why should one want to do it? It takes ages just to get the water boiling!
    Whats the rush about? once boiling the simmer ring is one of the best ways of a slow simmer I know of, very controlable, it just takes practise, and as a stove collector (yes, I know, a sad hobby), I've tried most alternative stoves, old and new. When I am out with my lad, and weight is not vital, I take other stoves, but then, thats just me playing with one of my stove collection

Ok, i'm an idiot!
    gas canisters have obviously moved on since i last used them and i had no idea you could unscrew it. Good, it works. I like it again!

Quote Originally Posted by bikething
    Oetzi, that looks very interesting

Any idea where i could get one from???

please?

Cheers
    Steve
    Hello Steve
    I dont know whether the manufacturer still exists, since I havent found anything on the web.
    You can, however, get one through me, cause we stock it in the shop. Its selling for € 16,50 and p&p would be around € 4,50.
    if you want to make one yourself, I can give you the measurements. After all, its just a piece of bent steel.
    Just let me know
    Last edited by oetzi; 16-12-2006 at 14:15.

Quote Originally Posted by oetzi
    Hello Steve
    I dont know whether the manufacturer still exists, since I havent found anything on the web.
    You can, however, get one through me, cause we stock it in the shop. Its selling for € 16,50 and p&p would be around € 4,50.
    if you want to make one yourself, I can give you the measurements. After all, its just a piece of bent steel.
    Just let me know
    Hi Oetzi

I spent a bit of time in the past searching the web with no luck. The bit i couldn't work out was how to light it (assuming it was sat down i the hole like the nova conversion) - It's obvious now you've posted those photos - Is there a problem with the burner being closer to the pan?

If you could send me the measurements, that would be great, and i'll try to make one over the christmas break.. If that fails, i may be after one from the shop !

Thanks for your help and info on this
    Steve

Hello steve
    I havent used one myself, so I cant comment on the closer proximity of the burner to the pot. One can, however, lower the burner by filing off the edges it rests on the lower windscreen.
    I can copy the shape of the adapter on a piece of paper and have it scanned, then mail it to you. Easier would be for me, if you pm me your adress and I put the paper with the drawing in an envelope and snailmail it to you.
    I will be at work again on thursday, so I can put it in the mail that evening.

PM will be along shortly

Quote Originally Posted by rik_uk3
    Whats the rush about? once boiling the simmer ring is one of the best ways of a slow simmer I know of, very controlable, it just takes practise, and as a stove collector (yes, I know, a sad hobby), I've tried most alternative stoves, old and new. When I am out with my lad, and weight is not vital, I take other stoves, but then, thats just me playing with one of my stove collection
    thatīs precisely it.

We stove collectors are indeed a bit
    of course Iīve made my experiences with all sorts of stoves including an armada of homemade burners.
    So donīt worry if Iīm sticking to my Trangia (no, Trangia didnīt invent the alc. burner and yes, Iīve paid money for my stoves and no, Iīm not in whatsoever way affiliated to the mfg. nor do I get money for selling stoves) - I know it has its limitations

For those who are in interested in stoves:
    www.zenstove.net
    www.spiritburner.com (thereīs nothing new under the sun )

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist
    thatīs precisely it.

We stove collectors are indeed a bit
    of course Iīve made my experiences with all sorts of stoves including an armada of homemade burners.
    So donīt worry if Iīm sticking to my Trangia (no, Trangia didnīt invent the alc. burner and yes, Iīve paid money for my stoves and no, Iīm not in whatsoever way affiliated to the mfg. nor do I get money for selling stoves) - I know it has its limitations

For those who are in interested in stoves:
    www.zenstove.net
    www.spiritburner.com (thereīs nothing new under the sun )
    and for spares
    www.base-camp.co.uk

Sorry to keep banging on about this, if i could just nick back my thread for a while
    I tried the gas conversion this weekend whilst taking my boys camping. Overall the gas is very good, no nonsense, but i think iv'e found a weakness with the whole kit.
    Frying. At least using the trangia lid as intended to fry. The problem is that the top wind shield has no air holes so what happens when you smother a fire?, it goes out. the lid is bigger than the windshield so it smothers any oxygen getting in. it would take a considerably smaller frying pan to allow air in. Thinking on, i would presume the same thing would happen with the meths..
    On a positive note i finally had a very comfortable night in the hammock by tying it tought and did ny first spot of cooking on the fire with my billies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast