Alpkit

View Poll Results: What combination of edged tools do use in the field?

Voters
613. You may not vote on this poll
  • Minimal - Knife of some description

49 7.99%
  • Small Knife and Axe (or another tool allowing chopping etc. Eg. Billhook, Kukri)

81 13.21%
  • Small Knife, Axe, Saw (folding, wire-types, bow saw blade etc)

151 24.63%
  • Small Knife, Axe, Saw, Another Knife (folder or large blade)

150 24.47%
  • Small Knife, Axe, Saw, Folder, Large Knife (Kukri, Lueku, Machete etc)

33 5.38%
  • Small knife and Saw (folding, wire-types, bow saw blade etc)

99 16.15%
  • All of the above plus more than one of any of the options!

50 8.16%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What combination of edged tools do you use?

Here,s another vote for the 9" Stromeng In carbon steel. Its a great great knife use mine a lot.
    How are you getting on with yours John?

Mark
    I,ve cut this twice and its still too short!

Blog Entries

Love it to bits!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

Usually a fixed blade and a Cold Steel Trail Hawk. Always have a pocket knife on me. Sometimes a flint blade just to see how it works.
    Jon R.

At the moment I'm using a small Brusletto knife. That will be replaced with a SWC when it arrives. (Can;t stand the wait)

As for shopping an sawing

I used to bring my SFA with me, but when I got the FA I just fell in love with it
    I find that the little extra weight and length really makes it a joy to use, not that the SFA isn't.
    As saw I use the trusty Laplander and a folding bucksaw.

If we are talking about small folding saws, this may be of interest. A couple of years ago, I came across this Shark PullSaw in a folding pruning/utility model:

It has quite reasonable materials, fit, ergos and finish for a relatively inexpensive hand tool. Pull saws, as you know, are of Japanese origin and have teeth that cut on the pull stroke rather than cutting on the push stroke as is typical of American handsaws. They have rather interesting tooth geometry:

I hope you can see the two rows of offset and very sharp small teeth. In my limited control tests of this model, it cuts very aggressively and, of course, the blade is not under deflection pressures on the cutting stroke. Pretty neat. I found mine at my local FleetFarm farm supply store for not too much cash.
    Doing my duty . . . the way I see it.

nail file, safety scissors and letter opener.
    speak softly and carry a great big stick...

Leukku from Sweden, Large bushcraft knife and a laplander saw with back up pocket chainsaw for those two foot logs

Unless I intend being out for extended time then I take a small forest axe instead of the leukku.

For the most part here in my neck of the woods it's just a large to medium fixed blade, and a small fixed blade or a folder.
    Last edited by Mistwalker; 28-10-2009 at 21:42.

Husqvarna small hatchet (hultafors), Mora knife and homemade buck saw

As someone who has only been doing this for around 6 months I have decided to stick with a good basic set until the spring: A Mora Clipper (Carbon) & a Laplander saw. I will be getting a decent axe but wont buy one until I got an axe course booked up, as I want to learn it right given the obvious dangers of doing it wrong. I have a cheapish splitting axe from a DIY store that I use a few times a year when I am doing the bushcar camping thing.

I will take my time with getting a decent knife until I am confident that I wont trash it the first time I try to sharpen it & know what I want; so have decided to wait until I have learnt more about them.
    The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship.

I have a mora and a folding saw, also like to carry my swiss army knife.

Hey Lake, I really like that set you have, the husky hatchet looks well smart.
    The buck saw looks awsome and really well done. What timber did you use to make the frame? and what is the blade, (lenght? type?)

Regards, Mart.
    I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, he said, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.

Here's my combo

Vintage Brades criteric 312 Hatchet.
    Home made bushcraft knife.
    Case Moose folder.
    Folding saw and crooked knife.

Lake: I LOVE you small bucksaw. I been meaning to make one for quite some time now, but never seem to have the time to do it.

What I carry varies quite a bit but if there is one combo that I generally go out into the woods with it would be this:

A Shrade, drop point bladed pocket knife with delrin scales. These knives were made with a thinner than usual blade, and the synthetic material of the handle weighs almost nothing. You never feel this knife in your pocket.

Slung under my left arm on paracord is either a Mora Clipper, or an EnZo Trapper. Although sometimes I go with a Gerber, 'Gator, which is a large folder but with a light and ergonomic handle. It fits into a pocket on my buttpack. I have never had a quality folder ever fail me, or the blade ever get loose in the handle, so I'm not biased against them as many folks are.

I often carry a Gerber saw that does not fold, but the blade, instead, retracts into the handle. Very useful.

I sometimes, but seldom, carry a Gerber small hatchet, that is very compact, but, small as it is, it gets heavy after a couple of hours of climbing up the side of some mountain in Arkansas. Consequently, i will generally leave it in my truck. I also have a kukri which I find useful around a camp but I'm not about to pack that much blade, all day over rugged terrain.

If you have never tried the paracord carry technique, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. It is, in my opinion, vastly more comfortable than on a belt, and much easier to retrieve. For belt carry, I like the "dangler" type sheaths for comfort, but dislike their constant flopping around. But, of course, that is what makes horse races isn't it? (differences of opinion).
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.

--- John Muir

My Cutting tools when out in the woods comprise of,

This

This

and a Small SAK

Right now these:

But tomorrow

Cheers

Knife, axe and saw.
    Don't really need more. Don't have more right now.
    si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more; si fueris alibi, vivito sicut ibi.

Small Knife, Axe, Saw, though it depends, at work and things i carry either a Mora 2000, or my SAK Rucksack. Althouggh in the tank bag on the quad there is always a Clipper. When im out in the woods i carry the Mora 2000, SFA and maybe a laplander saw, or maybe the saw and not the axe, but always a knife.

SAm

I have found that this is the edged toolkit for me.

A knife in a mora size, and SFA and a folding saw. And I have tried large knives and khukris, and other combinations, but this suit me best.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Right now these:

But tomorrow

Cheers
    oooo, very nice
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" - George S. Patton, Jr

As everybody else my preferance can change from day to day but i always have my peasant knife and a wire saw with me and the rest get's chosen from the becker bk7, issue machete, mora, hatchet or web tex survival knife (not the best knife but can be fun to take sometimes.)

varying at the moment
    but I think in the near future a Crooked knife will be featureing in the mix my short exp with using them so far leads me to find more and more things they can do

ATB

Duncan

One of my early influences was a book called, my side of the mountain, the hero, a young boy survived using a combination of pocket knife and axe..... and thats still my favourite combo. Opinel and husqvarna.

So far the kit consists of what ever is in my Avatar....

First got into this as i started to produce charcoal in a home made retort kiln.
    There was a lot of wood splitting, fire watching/prodding.

The Knife was a kit my Lovely Girl got me for Christmas.....took me all of a week before i was using it....Defo the best edge I've used. It just needs a quick rub on a steel and it is back to hair removal (I've not had to stone it yet).
    The fire steel is new to me but does ignite soft wood shavings with ease.

The axe was just a lump of rust when It was found in my Folks shed...it belonged to my Grandad, he was a local butcher and i am restoring many of his edge tools (Cleavers, Quartering axes etc) by re-handling them and making sheaths.

The spoon is my first attempt at carving (for my first born who will appear in 8 weeks)
    the Curved blade that carved the spoon was made when I got bored and found some tool steel

The left over tool steel was used to make the striker for the firesteel (it's attached via the black boot lace to the sheath.

I would up load some photo's but can't seem to sort it...and I though I was P.C. Savy...

sticks65, great looking axe and knife, i have a couple of old elwell axes that i alternate with a sfa, or a 'lightweight' army jungle knife!
    give more than you take

woodspirit carving

carving walkthrough

Last edited by Noddy; 26-09-2012 at 02:31.

a couple knives at least my basic one, 2 homemade ones for specific task, a machete(my baby |lol| ) and saw and occasionally an axe
    Defeat is not the worst of failures. Not to have tried is the true failure.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

just had a very productive few hours and and my new combo is a new small necker and a small gerber axe.

i dont have a reliable folding saw,...but i dont plan investing in one just yet as i did everything i normally would with just the two above,..

i use a rosseli grandfather Knife copy
    a wetterlings wildlife axe
    a bahco multitool (leatherman style)
    a bahco laplander
    opinel no 8 garden knife
    opinel no 8
    bahco mora knife (as a backup)
    swiss card (victorinox)

only a little bit of kit to carry mind you it all gets used
    am hoping to get a bigger bladed knife for my 13th

2010, Laplander or 4.99 bowsaw does all I need, rare I need an axe to be honest so don't often take one along.

Revised view, bowsaw and Leatherman pretty much does it all thinking about it.
    Last edited by rik_uk3; 12-12-2010 at 15:56. Reason: revised view.

Forward where the knocks are hardest, some to failure, some to fame;
    Never mind the cheers or hooting, keep your head and play the game

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast