Alpkit

Thread: Ration Packs - What's Your Favourite?

Default Ration Packs - What's Your Favourite?

My wife has discovered the guilty pleasures of a British Army 24hour ration pack. Says the beastings will continue until I get her another one

Nine years we've been married, no nom-nom-nom secrets, never nom-nom-nom bloody once nom-nom-nom mentioned non-nom-nom good the chocolate nom-nom-nom brownies are. Thought it was nom-nom-nom some man nom-nom-nom thing because your nom-nom-nom mother didn't send you food parcels any more. NO I am not sharing, what do nom-nom-nom mean got only one box? ooh Cinnamon bun nom-nom-nom put the kettle on!

Do you have a favourite menu or specific item from the British army or are you hooked on the gourmet offerings from other nations such as the French RCIR packs?

PS: should I tell the wife what the calorie count is or let the bathroom scales break the news to her ?
    It may seem like a good idea at the time but never open a tin of beans with an axe

Most of the Tuna main meals are my favourites - the Mediterranean Tuna the best!!
    Phil

I think the latest version of rat packs are absolute dog toffee. Meat sticks and rice anyone?

Far too much fish and vegetarian stuff (in the standard packs) the soups now come in a pouch ready made but aren't that filling and would be better taken up with something else. The deserts are now poor, the cus-turd is some form of luminous slime and for many of them its just a dry sugary block of "lemon/mango cake" The Museli is gopping unless you heat it up with a bit of sugar.

They got it right with some of it however, the tins of mixed nuts, the beef jerky and the extra drink sachets are a good addition, but overall the quality seem to of went far downhill.

Tonyuk
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

Please let me know where you can get a full days food plus all the trimmings for about a tenner. Last time I looked in Fortnum and Mason, well when I say "I" one does mean one's Batman, they where priced well above the 10 Guinea's point. I was very happy living on them at the moot.

The tuna with lime and black pepper pouches are delicious.
    "Go light; the lighter the better, so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment" - Nessmuk

I've got a box of 10 with 4 opened and the snacks taken out for work, love them, so do the kids when we're camping.
    I've a thing for fruit biscuits or even biscuits brown. I'm a simple soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I've ever tried ration packs but I have tried freeze dried astronaut food at the Johnson Space station (NASA) Houston. I rememeber the icecream was really good.
    I watched a you tube channel of someone comparing different nations ration packs that was very interesting.
    When I go camping I usually make my own version of ration packs to some extent for breakfast and lunch (dried soups, pastas, porridge oats, rice, noodles etc.) but always enjoy cooking properly for dinner.
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

Quote Originally Posted by KenThis View Post
    ......I watched a you tube channel of someone comparing different nations ration packs that was very interesting.....
    Was that Kiwi Dude?

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    Was that Kiwi Dude?
    Sorry I don't remember.
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

Was a bad day when they did away with the corned beef hash breakfast...

I bought some from a member on here a while ago.

Tried the Mexican tuna and the spicy vegetable pasta so far. Gotta say, they werent bad. Mexican tuna was better than the John West tuna lunches.
    As for the biscuit browns and cheddar flavored machine grease.....

Though the Meat sticks and rice doesnt sound very appealing. Im not sure what a meat stick is, or was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyuk View Post
    I think the latest version of rat packs are absolute dog toffee. Meat sticks and rice anyone?

Far too much fish and vegetarian stuff (in the standard packs) the soups now come in a pouch ready made but aren't that filling and would be better taken up with something else. The deserts are now poor, the cus-turd is some form of luminous slime and for many of them its just a dry sugary block of "lemon/mango cake" The Museli is gopping unless you heat it up with a bit of sugar.

They got it right with some of it however, the tins of mixed nuts, the beef jerky and the extra drink sachets are a good addition, but overall the quality seem to of went far downhill.

Tonyuk
    Tony, I've found all the deserts in foil packs taste rubbish - unless you warm them, then they taste five times better. I heat my main meal then drop the desert in the water to warm while I eat the meal - it transforms them!
    Oh, and the fruit cake is just brilliant
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mesquite View Post
    my absolute favourite 👍

I've not tried any of the new rat pack meals, i've still got a few Chicken tikka and Chilli con carne ones, i think the use by date has well gone on them, but i'll still scoff em

I called in Poundland a few weeks back, the LWWF meals Italian Beef Meatballs had been reduced to 50p, still had a good use by date on them. I stocked up with a fiver's worth, cleared the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Mesquite View Post
    Even worse was when the steak and kidney pudding went!

Quote Originally Posted by lou1661 View Post
    Even worse was when the steak and kidney pudding went!
    Babies heads also Chicken supreme. Followed by apple pudding... Hungry now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Babies heads also Chicken supreme. Followed by apple pudding... Hungry now.
    Miss the boil in the bags old versions, Yorkies, Porriage with apple flakes, hot chocolate, proper tea bags. The new menu is very sicky sweet

But most of all the Tin Bacon grill

Loved the Canadian IMPs, Salisbury Steak and Beans with Wieners though I would have traded the latter for American MRE Corned Beef Hash when I could! Don't ever recall trying the Brit Rations though worked with them often. I'm going to see if anyone carries them over here.

Sittingbourne Kent U.K. 3rd rock from the sun

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLA View Post
    Miss the boil in the bags old versions, Yorkies, Porriage with apple flakes, hot chocolate, proper tea bags. The new menu is very sicky sweet

But most of all the Tin Bacon grill
    Go to Aldi's and get a tin of Bacon Grill, very nice

Anyone remember tinned sausages in the old ten man ration packs or the processed cheese commonly known as cheese possessed ......
    "Better weight than wisdom a traveller cannot carry".

Havamal - the saying of the Vikings

Tin of sausages covered in lard, fry up the sausages and bacon grill + eggs in the grease from the tin, serve with beans + brown sauce in a mess tin, brew in the mug and scoff it all in the lashing rain, with your top bent over covering the mess tin from flooding.

The new "cheese" in the packs is worse than the old tins imo, the tuna sachets are better than the pate but the biscuits that come with can be a bit off, i remember opening a pack relatively recently and having tuna with lime and a packet of chocolate chip oat biscuits, interesting. The new drinks are an improvement but we seem to be going backworks on the hot meals. Lots of cake like things replacing hot breakfasts like the old corned beef hash and sausages in beans. Opening up a cold apple bun in the morning is demoralising when you see others digging into hot scran, warming the buns up doesn't seem to work that well either, even on opps hot scran was essential to keep going (fecking cold in the morning when your used to the heat of the day).

Also check out Aldi's tinned chopped pork and ham, about 90% meat (60%? in most bacon grill i think) and the taste isn't that much different. Price is the same.

Tonyuk
    Last edited by Tonyuk; 19-09-2017 at 14:10.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    Loved the Canadian IMPs, Salisbury Steak and Beans with Wieners though I would have traded the latter for American MRE Corned Beef Hash when I could! Don't ever recall trying the Brit Rations though worked with them often. I'm going to see if anyone carries them over here.
    Now you're reaching back a ways. The US corned beef hash was discontinued over 20 years ago. I miss it too.