Alpkit
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the stick

Quote Originally Posted by hellize View Post
    I know
    Meantime I found this site featuring the prohibited weapons and such and I just can't place this one under either of it. It is too short to be a sword, it isn't disguised to appear as a cane, it isn't a baton and so on. But people just don't seem to understand, that your law permit it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-c...ensive-weapons
    I dunno, it looks kind of concealed to me, like a deliberate attempt not to look like a sheath, I would not be comfortable carrying it even if I had a use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hellize View Post
    I demand pictures!
    Never happen........ Photobucket broke........convenient ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
    I dunno, it looks kind of concealed to me, like a deliberate attempt not to look like a sheath, I would not be comfortable carrying it even if I had a use for it.
    And what use would that be ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
    Never happen........ Photobucket broke........convenient ☺
    Broken? No, they wanted my money last time I tried. I guess you in Northern Ireland get it for free, paid by England like everything else??

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Broken? No, they wanted my money last time I tried. I guess you in Northern Ireland get it for free, paid by England like everything else??
    Dangerous ground my friend

Dangerous ground my friend
    You started by implying I am a liar, my friend. Please note I did not say anything personal against you.
    Northern Ireland does receive about 40% more than they contribute.

There are other media to post photos.......... Over to you

Much cheaper to become a full member and just upload your pictures
    Cheers,
    Broch

Quote Originally Posted by Broch View Post
    Cheers,
    Broch
    Will look into that! Thank you.

Cheers,
    Broch
    You're 100% right Sir..... Never happen though.

Well I am supposing, no ifs or buts that would be totally illegal in the UK.
    Erm, no. Let's not do the tedious legal arguments, because there is no argument. It is legal to own this knife in the UK, and it would be a pleasure to do so.

The best way to look at this is; it's not a bushcraft tool, or a weapon, it has no intended use other than the imagination, it's a piece of skill and art that is here to be admired and appreciated as such.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

So it could it be owned as a Collectors Item?

I'd like to have it as the most amazing letter opener on my desk ☺

But why would you want to carry it? It's an art piece.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

And what use would that be ?
    Well exactly I can't think of one.

Does a knife need a 'use' to be legal?

I concur with Nice65 as long as it stayed on private land or was used in some sort of exhibition or LARPing it's definitely UK legal (might have to double check on public liability insurance etc.).
    It's similar to that lovely seax I saw a while back, it's basically beautiful art, but if you want to use it/play with it best to stay on private land or have a valid and extremely convincing reason otherwise.
    I'm not ashamed to admit if I owned such a piece I would dress up and play with it like a real life toy as part of a fantasy costume, in private of course.
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

So it could it be owned as a Collectors Item?
    There's no such slot for it Janne. It is covered in the law as a fixed bladed knife. If a person has 'good reason' to carry a fixed or locking knife, then they may do so. Hence, I wouldn't see this one leaving the house, but it is completely legal and doesn't look like a user to me, it is not disguised like a belt buckle knife, or that Sinclair knife card thing, or a Swisscard for that matter (concealed fixed blade).

I'm appreciating it as a lovely piece of work, with great imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by KenThis View Post
    I'm not ashamed to admit if I owned such a piece I would dress up and play with it like a real life toy as part of a fantasy costume, in private of course.
    Hit me with your rhythm stick,
    Hit me slowly,
    Hit me quick,
    Hit me!
    Hit me!
    Hit me!

I'm missing the point again (must be old age). There is nothing illegal about owning the beautiful piece of artistic weaponry as far as I can see; (I am very jealous of the craftsmanship and skill). Carrying it in public without good reason would be illegal. What's the difference between owning this and a Samurai Sword? or are they illegal now? (that's a genuine question by the way).
    I have a stick/sword made for a private Steam Punk party that would be total unacceptable at a Steam punk fair!
    Cheers,
    Broch
    Last edited by Broch; 13-09-2017 at 23:14. Reason: typo

LOL an amazing thread fact.....I can think of no good reason to carry this knife in public in the UK.... make one up if you want.... won't work in the courts....

sit it at home on you're desk.........fine... no problems at all

any problems with that ?

I'm missing the point again (must be old age). There is nothing illegal about owning the beautiful piece of artistic weaponry as far as I can see; (I am very jealous of the craftsmanship and skill). Carrying it in public without good reason would be illegal. What's the difference between owning this and a Samurai Sword? or are they illegal now? (that's a genuine question by the way).
    I have a stick/sword made for a private Steam Punk party that would be total unacceptable at a Steam punk fair!
    Cheers,
    Broch
    Your stick sword isn't legal unless an antique and kept within your home. Dammit, I was trying to avoid all this and just appreciate the knife. Look here's the Gov law thing. Samurai swords are mentioned.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Dammit, I was trying to avoid all this and just appreciate the knife

100% Sir......it's a beautiful thing indeed, why the legal crap ? I've no idea !....appreciate it for what it is....stunning craftsmanship.

There you go. Move to the Cayman Islands and you can have those at home............

Legally. Just explain it is kind of machete. I had to do it with granddads sabers.

There you go. Move to the Cayman Islands and you can have those at home............

Legally. Just explain it is kind of machete. I had to do it with granddads sabers.
    we can do that as well....no problems.

we can do that as well....no problems.
    Sunshine most days, nice and warm, the occastional downpour to water the plants....
    Tripical storms and the odd hurricane to keep us on our toes and alert....

No further questions your Honour

I rest my case.

Lovely work my dude! The wood grain is gorgeous, how did you shape it and still leave the natural 3d grain? I'd personally display it with other old timey trinkets.

Oh and the comments gave me such a good laugh I read them twice! lol
    Beware beware of the badgers lair!

It is a thing of beauty and should be appreciated as such.

Very obviously it is not a cane - far too short - so it is not a 'sword cane' and hence not becoming illegal under that category.

Of course you wouldn't wear it on your belt walking down the street, but then neither would I wear a 10" filleting knife. Neither would be appropriate or permissible. Lets not get into that tedious argument again.

Lets just appreciate the design work and quality of production of this piece of art.

A day when you have a legitimate, practical reason to use an axe is a good day.

Cheers,
    Broch
    I should not have opened my big mouth, I have not said anywhere that it is not a beautiful piece or a work of art, as believe it or not, I do appreciate fine blades, I like to make handles for blades too and I even own a sword, as a display piece, and it would be way to big to conceal. In my own mind I was merely considering that the item in question looked rather too much like a short sword cane for legal comfort so would raise a lot of questions. One question is when does a knife become a sword, at what length? The roman gladius was clearly a sword but relatively short and many a machete or parang could be considered as a form of short sword too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast