Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you DPM or not and why?

Default Do you DPM or not and why?

Do you love DPM and kit everything you own out in it?
    Or maybe prefer just plain earthy colours?
    Or maybe bright hiking colours?

What's the reason for your choices?

Yeah I'm up for a bit of camo. Flecktarn is my preference although I do have some dpm stuff. One rule I live by though; only camo trousers or top, never both.
    "Go light; the lighter the better, so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment" - Nessmuk

Blog Entries

I am not that interested in camo per se (although I do own a couple of camo tarps) but I do love my "Earth Colours" and pretty well live in Olive and various shades of green and brown.... even my car is beige!
    I like to gently blend in to my environment - but not actively "hide" in it
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

Yes, I do wear camo, though I feel a bit like I'm playing soldiers if I wear both camo trousers and jacket.

Plain earthy for me, 5.11 trousers, Bison Guide shirts, Twodogs or ex German army for wet. The only camo I have is my Lowe Alpine Sting and that couldn't be helped at 100 brand new with the side pockets.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

I don't camo and I don't really do earthy colours either.
    I like to wear at least one bright primary colour when out and about.
    Mostly because I enjoy those colours so those are my clothes colours (I don't really have separate kit I only wear outdoors).
    But also I do not want to blend in with my surroundings. I am not too interested in wildlife spotting anything bigger than an insect. But I really don't want people to inadvertently come across me when I'm playing in the woods. Just a personal preference but I want to be seen from far away and then avoided if possible, in general this works.
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

Rumour has it that coyote brown is the new black on the catwalks this year .

No DPM for me anymore. Earth colours are great.

I love a little bit of camo but as mentioned above; not as a two-peice outfit as that does rather suggest a certain intensity of purpose I'd rather not be associated with however unjustified.

Equally incongerous to my mind is taking to the woods, if intending to 'integrate' as most bushcraft folk crave, wearing hi-viz or non subdued street cloths but each to his own.

K
    Klenchblaize

It was evening all afternoon.
    It was snowing
    And it was going to snow.
    The blackbird sat
    In the cedar-limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Equally incongerous to my mind is taking to the woods, if intending to 'integrate' as most bushcraft folk crave, wearing hi-viz or non subdued street cloths but each to his own.
    K
    I can understand your point entirely, made me think about why I bushcraft and I guess I'm not trying to 'integrate' or commune with nature. I bushcraft because I crave the solitude and the quiet and the learning skills and in particular love the repetition of practicing bushcraft. I think I find the repetition more soothing than the greenery. When I'm 'bushcrafting' I'm using the part of my mind that is usually anxious, so I'm more relaxed, the last thing I then want is for some people to come and surprise me and take me out of that place. In general I've found that people in the woods want to do their own thing as much as I do and if they spot you early enough they'll sort of go out of their way to avoid you.
    Derren Brown says the best way to prevent someone from sitting next to you on a bus is to make eye contact with the person early and stroke the seat like you really want them to sit next to you. I think I'm doing a similar thing with my bright colours, if that makes sense.
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

I usually wear camo or olive drab in the bush and I'll wear it going to work sometimes. I normally wear it at shooting competitions too. Most of my camo I have sewn myself.
    The shirts are the British 95 pattern. I pulled one apart and made a pattern. I have them in olive, Marpat, OAR2, Multicam, Finnish 05 and Swedish M90.
    My pants are based off German army pants and the pockets on them borrowed from the Canadian military.
    I picked up a British Smock in my size and will be taking that apart to make a pattern then sewing the smock back together again when done. I can add my own tweaks to the clothes such as a pocket inside one of the pockets for my reading glasses.
    I wear camo to blend into the surroundings, a throwback from my younger days when I used to hunt a lot. Plus I do it as my own statement about small town, rural living to separate myself from the city dwellers. I say if we are a multicultural society in Canada, then redneck is a culture and camo is a part of it. That may not translate for those in other countries.
    Last edited by theDuck; 11-09-2017 at 23:18.

i am mostly a camo bushcrafter,bivy bag is woodland dpm helps to be low key.
    bivy bag is olive green
    army suplus is cheap, trousers dry quick even in multicam, and my gortex dpm jacket is far better then any walking jacket i have found.
    also have a few green thermal fleeces

Brown, grey and green to blend in. Never camo.

Camo if I'm hunting. if now I wear whatever.

Blog Entries

I do wear camo, mostly I suppose because I hunt and a significant part of my outdoors wardrobe is camo.
    Beyond that I have developed a bit of an interest in the subject and I have everything from Tigerstripe to Realtree.
    My least favourite is my issue MTP!
    DPM, Flectarn or Realtree works well in this country.
    Wear it because it helps you blend in and offers the opportunity to encounter nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No camo for me.
    I'm another greens/greys/browns wearer.
    Why? I feel a bit self-conscious in camo and, ironically, it makes you stand out more.

Each to their own though. But it's not for me.

Never cammo since a kid with a cammo cap playing soldiers. Sorry but cammo has too much of the kid playing soldiers about it IMHO. I tend to wear good quality outdoors clothing that's designed for being in the hills. It's just a choice though so whilst personally I find DPM not to my choice is certainly is the choice of others.

One thing though, I think wearing it is activity dependent. If you're out hiking in the lakes in full DPM then you may get funny looks or comments it if earshot. If you're stealthy in the woods somewhere less so. Also hunting and perhaps fishing too it's highly accepted. Whether by that right or wrong is personal perspective.

Above all the right kit for the right activity is my view.

Dark colours for me greys and blacks.ive nothing against camo I just don't rate surplus kit.i prefer modern technical clothing for my waterproof layers they fit and pack much better.i' usually bring along an old woolly jumper for thrashing about round camp and sitting next too the fire.

I have a load of buckshee combats that i wear out now and then and when painting etc.., rest i exchanged for mtp a few years ago.

Tonyuk
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

I have a few sets of DPM and desert pattern camo. And to me it's just cheap gortex. I wear it for function and don't worry about the look.

I get the odd comment in the office of, 'Ah, I didn't see you there'. And that is with the desert pattern stuff that I keep in the car. But that's about it.

I do recall a friend once getting a bollocking on a civilian run rifle range, as the guy running it thought that camo had no place there, you think you are in the army etc. When he pointed out that he was still wearing his stripes, and that if aunty Liz saw fit to issue them, he saw no reason not to wear them. (And that he was RAF, so how dare he insult him calling him army!)

No DPM.
    But I wear flectarn gore tex (surplus), and carry a Norwegian army rucksack (Camo).

Why?
    Because the flecktarn cost a fraction of what a civilian jacket/trousers does, and the rucksack was free (issued by the government).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_the_great View Post
    I have a few sets of DPM and desert pattern camo. And to me it's just cheap gortex. I wear it for function and don't worry about the look.

I get the odd comment in the office of, 'Ah, I didn't see you there'. And that is with the desert pattern stuff that I keep in the car. But that's about it.

I do recall a friend once getting a bollocking on a civilian run rifle range, as the guy running it thought that camo had no place there, you think you are in the army etc. When he pointed out that he was still wearing his stripes, and that if aunty Liz saw fit to issue them, he saw no reason not to wear them. (And that he was RAF, so how dare he insult him calling him army!)
    Anyone not currently serving is not allowed to wear military camouflage at Bisley certainly and I believe it is generally not allowed on Military ranges under civilian use.

Elsewhere on ranges you might get away with it but clubs are becoming a bit more media savvy these days and nobody wants to give the press the impression of a paramilitary club or a bunch of armed "wannabe Rambos".

Depends what I'm doing in the outdoors...Olives for doing the bushy stuff....camo for hunting / airsoft and normal hiking gear for, well, hiking...
    "Everyone Who Has Not Already Done So Should Avail Themself Of The Magnificent Panorama Provided By Nature!"

I prefer greens or browns when out and about in the woods, I do own camo trousers and jackets of various different countries, bit of a collector me, but I would never wear a camo jacket and trousers at the same time, but it does not bother me in the slightest when others do. Each to their own, whatever makes you happy and works for whatever you are doing.

May just be a rumor; but I heard John Fenna had ordered this bit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    May just be a rumor; but I heard John Fenna had ordered this bit

Lies - all lies I tell you!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

I only have one or two camo tarps, other than that I wear earthy colours, to be honest and I don't want to upset anyone here. But when I see people in camo from head to toes, I just think it looks silly.
    A little bit is ok, but some go over the top on it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    if i could live in the wild, i would

Quote Originally Posted by John Fenna View Post
    Lies - all lies I tell you!
    Are you sure John...

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

It's interesting. The reason I asked is because I drove past an old weathered chap with a long grey beard in full army DPM including Bergen who was walking down a suburban street.

My instant thought was he was a bush crafter either on his way to the woods or coming back, and he looked really out of place where he was.

I'm either earthy colours, or bright hiking gear and don't own any camo at all. Even in my earthy colours I get a sense of passers by feeling less at ease in my presence than the bright hiking gear. Even walking through the forest I get a lot less hellos than the bright gear.

Quote Originally Posted by JamPan View Post
    Even walking through the forest I get a lot less hellos than the bright gear.
    That's odd because I found it sort of the other way, in that I feel like I meet less people when I'm brightly coloured rather than classic 'grey' man. Maybe it's a real difference between Yorkshire and Wales? or maybe it's just a trick of perspective?

I should add though I'm more static in that I find my spot and then start playing/practicing. When I walking to my spot I don't make eye contact and people have told me I'm almost perpetually scowling, almost as if I'm purposely trying to dissuade social interaction...

dark colours for me, i have a black smock, a navy blue smock and various shades of OD and green fleece, jumper etc.

I wouldnt wear camo jacket and trousers at the same time, i do have a dancam jacket which is well thought out design but i rarely wear it anymore as i have gone off camo a bit.

I also have an ex-mil landrover that does the rough/dirty/heavy work at home and i wouldnt drive that in public in any type of camo.

I wouldnt wear DPM or current issue MTP tbh
    www.TheTimeChamber.co.uk - Now re-launched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast