Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you DPM or not and why?

Blog Entries

Aye Up,

By ‘dpm’ I assume that you are using the generic term to cover all patterns of ‘camouflage’ material and not just 1960s – 2000s British camouflage pattern.

Do I wear it?

To and from locations – no. (Apart from when I'm using a 120l ruck but I cover that with an OD cover).

At locations where/when it is required – and I’m static – Yes.

Aside from the practical advantages/disadvantages of wearing ‘camouflage’ clothing i.e. it can blend you in if you get it right or show you out if you get it wrong, there is without a doubt a perception issue with it – the perception of others who may observe you wearing it.

You can walk through the countryside in OD and most people will dismiss you as being part of the country scene*. Do the same in ‘dpm’ and most likely more notice will be taken of you, maybe even being perceived as ‘up to no good’. (*Although frequently people with whom I have spoken with en route have referred to OD as camouflage!).

I believe that this perception harks back to the 1970s when the UK population were extremely alert to the issue of domestic terrorism.

But as they say - each to their own.

Plain, 'Earth colours' and particularly grey can be as effective as any disruptive pattern if used correctly.

I've always looked to nature for cam inspiration - you rarely see a fallow or a squirrel until they move - brown/taupe and grey.

DSCF0178.jpg

And wildlife are the masters!

Owl.jpg

Do I use disruptive pattern for 'base camp' items - Yes, appropriately sited they help maintain a low profile.

As for bright hiking clothing – that’s a form of pollution isn’t it?

I’ve lost count of the number of people dressed in Day-Glo who I have spoken with out in the sticks who have complained that “we haven’t seen any deer”.
    “Don’t worry, they couldn’t miss you!” I often reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Free-State Yorkshire Now!

I don't mind wearing Camo, when when away from the towns and city's, out in the sticks.

On one of my trips out in the Yorkshire dales, with Al ( Bopdude) we were hiking on a narrow trail, and spotted a group of hikers coming towards us, so we moved of the trail to let them past. As they pasted they nodded and thanked Al. But hadn't seen me stood near a tree, dressed head to toe in MTP
    Last edited by Big G; 14-09-2017 at 12:48.

i do own some flectarn trousers but only use for work as for the outdoors i mostly hike around dartmoor and the beacons black hills , with dartmoor being a training area i dont think it looks good being in camo and to me feels odd walking round in camo with squaddies about but i understand from a price point some pepole carnt afford expensive gear so in the need to get out and get involved use it till they can afford better gear

If you want to dis wearing fluorescent/Day-Glo, maybe even camo pattern, OK but remember this:
    In many jurisdictions in North America, fluorescent clothing is the LAW for hunting,
    right down to the minimum specified number of square inches of it. Like it or not.
    So in the adverts, you may see mention of the area covered. That's why.

This is all I know and it sure as Hello works for our big birds, turkeys included:

Just don't move. Don't. Learn to sit/stand still with whatever pattern you're wearing. The best I can do is 15 minutes by the clock.
    Canada geese and Snow geese are incredibly sensitive to motion. Sit still, out in the open, and they behave dumber than a bar mat.

I've used cut-leaf camo cloth to dress up a long jacket as a ghillie top, did that ever work well!
    Earth tones of house paints brushed on old clothing works for me.
    Most camo patterns here are too green and too dark for the landscape but some light gray and browns of paints can fix that.

I am invisible in my NatGear snow camo, even standing in a snow-covered pea field.
    As long as I don't move. My partner looks for the gun barrel.

Tourists, maybe. Otherwise, wearing camo of any kind around the village just isn't done.

I only wear outdoors also just because I prefer it and at my age I answer to no one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    kindness is a language blind people see and deaf people hear
    my blog http://davesbushcraft.tumblr.com

Without wanting to appear like a cheapskate, for the last few years I've bought nearly all my clothing, shoes and socks, etc. from online shop sales. Unless I really dislike the colour, I couldn't care one bit about that. I have worn old army jackets in the past because they were super comfortable and near impossible to wear out but I would draw the line at trousers too. For me, it appears to be going over to the military, wanting to appear to be hidden side of things and I wouldn't fancy that on an average stroll out and about.

I'd usually buy Dickies or Craghopper trousers and go towards darker colours like deep brown and navy cos that's usually what's on sale. And for my t-shirt and fleece, any colour. Jacket, darker again. Sometimes not easy when the sale colours are puke green or volcano orange/red. The secret is getting signed up for offer newsletters and then buying quick!

Most all of my gear is super grade military issue (old un issued or "new stock") olive drab or camo for no other reason than just because its bomb proof it does the job & it's aesthetically pleasing to me & it all looks like it belongs together like part of a set.

& I proudly wear my DPM camo British Army Soldier '95 combats most every day in civi street like some guys wear jeans & the likes, without fear of prejudice or ridicule, I am 54 years old 5' 4'' & 147 lbs & like dave53 I care not what anybody thinks.
    I like the colour/pattern, for me its a fashion/life style choice.
    When the weather is dry not too cold I normally wear an olive drab or coyote vest top with mine, & if its wet I wear my Camo Goretex Wet Weather MVP hat, not that I Give a $hit but seemingly nobody bats an eye lid, least wise not that I am aware of if they do. The so called perception of domestic terrorism as Jaeger so aptly puts it, does not seem to exist when I am standing in the school play ground waiting to pick up my kids from primary school.

They are cheap @ £15 a pair new & un issued. In summer they are practice for DIY, cool because they are light weight, they wear well & they shrug off most every day DIY grime & if inadvertently you splodge food stuff or oil or grease on them it sort of disappears in to the pattern & they don't need washing every other day & still look the same.
    Last edited by Alan 13~7; 15-09-2017 at 23:17. Reason: inaccuracy error

Yes because they are comfortable durable and I don't care what others think

I was an early adopter of Realtree, got it from the US before it was available in the UK back in the 90s, used if for hunting. I found DPM too dark for the areas I was in, also I didn't like how people associated it with the military which shaped how they reacted to me. For close encounters with animals I am a believer in camo that matches the background. Walking around in public in the UK though, camo stands out as much as day-glo does in the woods. These days, since I hardly hunt any more, I rarely find myself in any sort of camo. My normal wardrobe is full of earth tones though, so the line between every-day clothes and muted woods gear is very blurred.

When I was visiting my folks in Kentucky, I found that no one looked twice at me if I went into a super market wearing head to toe Realtree. There are a lot of people around there that hunted and camo painted pick up trucks were pretty common. Places like Walmart, K-Mart and Rural King sold hunting clothes, guns and ammo, as well as greetings cards, baby clothes and gardening tools. As a result, I wasn't bothered about wearing it to and from hunting with friends, even if we had stop at stores on the way.
    Chris

Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place.

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time.

Earthy colours for me. I did start out wearing camo but felt embarrassed wearing clothes that might label me as something I am not nor ever have been. Although they are in plentiful supply, are relatively inexpensive and pretty hardwearing, I still prefer the earthy, subdued colours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12