Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splinter

Default Splinter

Ivxxxxxx. Xxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 04:18.

Oof the cringe place!

Do you have magsulph paste Janne ? that'll draw out the remainder of the 'splinter', or take a bar of soap and shred up a little bit (scrape it with a knife) and add the same amount of sugar to it. Mash the two together and pack it around your nail, wrap it up in a thick elastoplast and leave it overnight if you can. That works to draw out the debris too.

M

p.s. found an Australian lady on youtube demonstrating just how to make this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UioNnFPEhM
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 04:18.

It's a horrible place to get a skelf/splinter.
    I think I'd try to avoid cutting there if I could, but you know your tools best.
    I do know that the soap and sugar works very well on most things that get trapped in the skin, not sure how it'd do through nails though.

Either way it sounds like it could be painful if it goes septic. Best of luck with it; I hate it when my hands are sore like that.

M

I wouldn't bother with the paste; splinters from pressure treated timber will generate a fair amount of pus pretty quickly and that will push the splinter out. If the pressure gets too much under your fingernail, melt a hole through with a heated needle.

BTDTGTT

A day when you have a legitimate, practical reason to use an axe is a good day.

Magnesium sulphate paste as first recommended by Toddy.
    Sold at most chemists /pharmacies.
    Works a treat .
    I carry a little pot in the glove box for the splinters that I can't cut out with a Stanley ...

xxxxxxxxxx.
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 04:17.

Are you sure it's still in there ? and you're not just seeing the blood track of where it went in and was pulled out ?
    That can happen, especially under nails where it's tight quarters.

Pleased to hear that it's not bothering you though

M

Xxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 01:30.

you know the rules.........photos or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
    you know the rules.........photos or it didn't happen.
    +1 to that..

Rules are rules Janne...
    😁

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 01:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I can see the wood, also it is tender when ai press on yhe nail. Whrn I come home I will do some surgery and take it out.

The last time I used my work tools I emptied a large blood pool under another nail, on my left toe. Hammer damage. Dropped it. When I went through the nail ( used a small round diamond bur and high speed drill ( 400 000 rpm) my assistsnt almost fainted when she saw the blood spurting out.
    Was spectacular!
    LOL brings back vivid memories. exactly 20 years ago (approximately), I pinched my thumb in a pallet recycling machine, it was like a tom and jerry cartoon HUGE black swelling. I went to casualty, 2 nurses held my arm down on a table then they used like a soldering iron to burn a hole through the nail, hey presto black blood escaped, pressure relieved
    "Old green woodworkers never retire, they just find a quiet corner to go for a whittle"

[QUOTE=mr dazzler;1824744]
    , 2 nurses held my arm down on a table then they used like a soldering iron to burn a hole through the nail, hey presto black blood escaped, pressure relieved[/QUOTExxxxxxxxxxx

On a far less impressive note. Bizarrely this evening I turned on the kitchen tap and sliced my finger. Turns out the chroming has lifted and created a razor sharp edge. Who knew it could do that?

Anyway Ive filed it down now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm cringing here.
    I hope it heals quickly for you.

M

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 01:28.

The idea of cutting a hole in my nail just makes me feel weak. Nevermind actually doing it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 01:28.

Well, it is out. Cut a v notch over it, and fished it out with a suturing needle.

About 5mm long, 0.5 to 1 mm wide.

Modern chroming can do that, it is crap. I have rechromed loads of car and bike parts. Has to be done the proper way. Copper first, then nickel, chrome on top.

Not easy to find somebody that does it that way these days. Apparently some of the stuff is toxic.
    Degrease first, then polish the metal, then copper plate, polish, degrease, bright nickel plate, polish, degrease, chrome finish. Its the polishing that is the secret, that and thorough degrease each time. I can still here the gaffer from Holmes plating (Greenwich SE5) "thats no farkin good, its SHOWING NICKEL MATE, showing NICKEL" We did mostly MoD work aircraft and tank parts.
    "Old green woodworkers never retire, they just find a quiet corner to go for a whittle"

Quote Originally Posted by JamPan View Post
    On a far less impressive note. Bizarrely this evening I turned on the kitchen tap and sliced my finger. Turns out the chroming has lifted and created a razor sharp edge. Who knew it could do that?

Anyway Ive filed it down now.
    Is that your finger or your tap you filed down?

Quote Originally Posted by mr dazzler View Post
    Degrease first, then polish the metal, then copper plate, polish, degrease, bright nickel plate, polish, degrease, chrome finish. Its the polishing that is the secret, that and thorough degrease each time. I can still here the gaffer from Holmes plating (Greenwich SE5) "thats no farkin good, its SHOWING NICKEL MATE, showing NICKEL" We did mostly MoD work aircraft and tank parts.
    xxxxxxxxx. Xxxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 01:27.

Can you still find somebody in UK that does a 100% job?
    Yes, but it tends to cost more. I work in aerospace too and while there are sometimes some parts that go wrong, the vast majority come in to us to spec. As for chrome plate, decorative chrome plating will be banned in the EU come September this year. Performance related hard chrome has a 7 year grace before it too is up for banning. Its only a matter of time before the rest of the world follows suit.
    Chris

Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place.

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time.

Chromium is horrendously polluting. It causes feminization of the creatures at the bottom end of the food chain. It disrupts/ destroys entire ecosystems.
    Natural dyers have have been complaining about it's use in commercial dyes for years.

M

Quote Originally Posted by C_Claycomb View Post
    As for chrome plate, decorative chrome plating will be banned in the EU come September this year. Performance related hard chrome has a 7 year grace before it too is up for banning. Its only a matter of time before the rest of the world follows suit.
    What will those geniuses at brussles impose on the industry (which I no longer have any connection with) instead of hard chrome? LOL we used a micrometer to check how much was on for some parts. Its the best solution for corrosion and wear resistant parts eg on hospital equipment. But the eu know what they are doing, the eco light bulb fiasco proves it

I got me some TAMA cymbal stands and a hi hat stand a while back. they are supposed to be among the best. Yet in no time the chrome was flaking off in sheets (pretty much as the OP described on their tap) It looked like there was brass underneath, but whatever it is a "very poor" job. Yet you can get a vintage yamaha that doesnt peel and the chrome is still reasonable......
    Last edited by C_Claycomb; 14-08-2017 at 21:10.

That is why there has been a 7 year extension recommended by the European Chemical Agency for the use of performance related chromates, because substitutes are so hard to do. Actually though, hard chrome is one of the easier things to replace, provided the application isn't temperature sensitive. Problem if you need it to be applied below 160degC though. Chromate conversion coating of aluminium is a bigger challenge and it is only in the last couple of years that there has been any real progress in alternatives

Sorry for the hijack and off topic.

Glad to hear that the splinter was removed, although the method makes my stomach turn over. I managed to get a huge splinter driven into my little toe, dang thing was lodged in my trouser turn up when I put them on. Went to the local cottage hospital thinking they could just spray something to numb the area and have it out...apparently they are not permitted to use such things, so the best they could do was give me a really pointy pair of tweezers and wish me luck. I had the fun job of removing it myself, but at least I was able to numb it somewhat with repeated applications of 15 year old Anbesol. I don't like splinters!
    Chris

Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place.

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Janne; Today at 01:27.

outstanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast