Alpkit

Thread: axe/hatchet

Default axe/hatchet

I'm wanting some ideas about buying a small axe or hatchet up to 50 what should I get and where from for best deal

Hello Mike, how are you old buddy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
    Hello Mike, how are you old buddy ?
    wow hello Robbi I'm good thanks and you so much has changed in the forums .hope I don't get in trouble but where is BB gone

All good here Mike

There's loads of threads on it Mike, have a search matey

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
    All good here Mike

There's loads of threads on it Mike, have a search matey
    just found some info wow Mr cooper and I had our deference's but would I wish him well

Buying an old head and restoring it would probably give you the best performance for the money, most old English, American, Swedish made heads would do if in decent condition. That being said if you don't mind spending 50 you can get a Hultafors classic hunting axe which I can assure you is a really good performing axe, mine came shaving sharp with a perfect straight grain handle. Definitely no complaints. Here's a quick search I found one for just under 50:
    https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/...yABEgJ9SfD_BwE

Husqvarana hatchets look a real steal at around 20.

https://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/...het-2170-p.asp
    https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/husqv...1-hatchet.html

Can't quite remember which Swedish maker makes them under contract, was either Hultafors/Hult Bruks or Wetterlings

Hultafors axes are very good!

I bought a Hultafors and I have to say it's a fantastic axe for the price. I got mine form HH:

https://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-ag...e-trekking-axe

As mentioned above, it came shaving sharp and does an excellent job. Felling might be a bit of a task with it, but splitting, chopping and processing of firewood's a doddle. I've also used mine to process shot rabbits, and whilst it's not as easy as when using a knife, the axe will do it.

thanks everyone for your input now I have to make my mind up on witch one .looking at all links

I have owned a roselli all round axe for around 10 years and love it for carving. However I got a hultafors carpenter axe around 6 months ago. In fact I was using it earlier today to do really fiddly choked up slicing cuts on tiny little fishing lure frog bodies. It just occurred to me I have only sharpened it once...on the day I got it. It just goes and goes, I've carved alder, beech, birch, euclatyptus, pitch pine, oak. Its a very very nice axe. Only down side is its a lot heavier than the roselli which is tiring after a while, but then again that weight gives the fine control on the delicate little cuts I was doing today

Of course, best advice is, for felling, get a felling axe, for splitting get a splitting axe, for carving......
    Last edited by mr dazzler; 09-08-2017 at 20:17.
    "Old green woodworkers never retire, they just find a quiet corner to go for a whittle"

Quote Originally Posted by mr dazzler View Post
    I have owned a roselli all round axe for around 10 years and love it for carving. However I got a hultafors carpenter axe around 6 months ago. In fact I was using it earlier today to do really fiddly choked up slicing cuts on tiny little fishing lure frog bodies. It just occurred to me I have only sharpened it once...on the day I got it. It just goes and goes, I've carved alder, beech, birch, euclatyptus, pitch pine, oak. Its a very very nice axe. Only down side is its a lot heavier than the roselli which is tiring after a while, but then again that weight gives the fine control on the delicate little cuts I was doing today

Of course, best advice is, for felling, get a felling axe, for splitting get a splitting axe, for carving......
    thanks for your info mate I'm looking

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    I like the look of that axe cheers mate

I have a Robin Wood axe, it's a nice weight and has good balance but handle needed a bit of finishing. He leaves them rough on purpose which was fine with me but mine needed evening out a bit as it was thicker on one side than the other.

For value for money, the Husqvarna Hatchet at around 20 is bargain. Good steel, Hickory shaft, comes nice and sharp. Sheath is ok, it can be modded to be more secure.

If you want something a little nicer (read more expensive) the Gransfor Bruks and Wetterlings are great axes. Personally all I have nowadays is a Scandinavian Forest Axe from GB. Does all I need from an axe.

That's lovely. I'm so pleased that you all keep the total included bevel angle a secret. That's important.
    For carving, buy carving tools. Learn to use a D adze and an elbow adze.