Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does this measurement mean

I'm really not so sure metric has caught on in the UK despite it being official, We still think in miles not km, especially with regards to speed, we drink pints not half litres, shirts are bought by collar size or inches round the chest, ask most people including kids and they wear size 8s rather than 42s or what ever. For science and industry metrics the norm but for the rest, you have a quarter pound burger not whatever that is in grams etc etc amen. Ask some one their height and it's hardly ever in metric, I've never heard someone described as a strapping 183cmer.

So long as it's clearly marked what the measurements are it doesn't really matter. Bizarrely I think in feet, inches and millimetres, just about 1/25s of an inch! I personally do find imperial more natural, I walk, on level ground, with no load, at almost exactly 3 miles an hour, from nose to finger tip it's as near to a yard as makes no difference. Each to their own, it's when they don't specify it becomes troublesome.

ATB

tom

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tombear View Post
    I'm really not so sure metric has caught on in the UK despite it being official, We still think in miles not km, especially with regards to speed, we drink pints not half litres, shirts are bought by collar size or inches round the chest, ask most people including kids and they wear size 8s rather than 42s or what ever. For science and industry metrics the norm but for the rest, you have a quarter pound burger not whatever that is in grams etc etc amen. Ask some one their height and it's hardly ever in metric, I've never heard someone described as a strapping 183cmer.

So long as it's clearly marked what the measurements are it doesn't really matter. Bizarrely I think in feet, inches and millimetres, just about 1/25s of an inch! I personally do find imperial more natural, I walk, on level ground, with no load, at almost exactly 3 miles an hour, from nose to finger tip it's as near to a yard as makes no difference. Each to their own, it's when they don't specify it becomes troublesome.

ATB

tom

Knives are inches long but millimeters thick ... Rucksacks carry pounds in weight but liters of volume ... fields are in acreage but rivers flow in cubic meters per second..
    Life at 60 is very confusing!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

Quote Originally Posted by John Fenna View Post

Knives are inches long but millimeters thick ... Rucksacks carry pounds in weight but liters of volume ... fields are in acreage but rivers flow in cubic meters per second..
    Life at 60 is very confusing!
    What'll it be like at (hopefully) 80?
    How do you make the Gods laugh?........................ ..Tell 'em your plans!

mmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Janne; 20-08-2017 at 19:27.

Ironically here it's a mish-mash. our bulk drink bottles (soft drinks) are in metric (a liter or a multiple thereof) but most of us still refer to them, as quarts. Pet food is still labelled in pounds but the number of pounds per bag make it obvious it was packed somewhere metric.

As RV said, we have no "stones." It's 16 ounces per pound and no measure between a pound and a ton (2000 pounds for a standard ton ----- more for a "long" ton, and less for a "short" ton)

Is flight altitude in the UK still measured in feet? Is Flight Level 320 (32,000 feet0 or Flight Level 360 (36,000 feet) still prescribed by ATC?

Ironically we (the US) still operate in the old system because of the UK. Almost immediately after the Constitution was adopted/ratified in 1787 one of the first acts of Congress was to prescribe the official weights & measures. There was almost a unanimous desire for metric, but our major trading partner (the UK) was using imperial so it would have been impractical.
    Last edited by santaman2000; 24-07-2017 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    Ironically here it's a mish-mash. our bulk drink bottles (soft drinks) are in metric (a liter or a multiple thereof) but most of us still refer to them, as quarts. Pet food is still labelled in pounds but the number of pounds per bag make it obvious it was packed somewhere metric.

As RV said, we have no "stones." It's 16 ounces per pound and no measure between a pound and a ton (2000 pounds for a standard ton ----- more for a "long" ton, and less for a "short" ton)

Is flight altitude in the UK still measured in feet? Is Flight Level 320 (32,000 feet0 or Flight Level 360 (36,000 feet) still prescribed by ATC?

Ironically we (the US) still operate in the old system because of the UK. Almost immediately after the Constitution was adopted/ratified in 1787 one of the first acts of Congress was to prescribe the official weights & measures. There was almost a unanimous desire for metric, but our major trading partner (the UK) was using imperial so it would have been impractical.
    Thats really interesting. America, the last great stalwart of imperial measures actually wanted the metric system from birth

AFAIK we still use feet for flight altitude

Surprised no-one has mentioned pounds, shillings, and pence yet

Wonder if he ever got an axe handle?
    Uncle chop chop

Wonder if he ever got an axe handle?

Brilliant !

mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Janne; 20-08-2017 at 19:34.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12