Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Available knives with a butt plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    It is: Too long. Too thick. The Parkerication ( I think it is called) is 'rough' so slicing food is not easy.
    The edge angle is quite large - difficult to cut. The cutting edge starts a bit into the blade.
    Tip very large.

(quality of steel - war steel. Irrelevant on modern examples!)

I need to check it again tonight after work! Probably rusty!

Handle is not comfortable, the ridges in the stacked leather are quite sharp and dig into the palm when forcefully cutting.

Sheath ( irrelevant on modern examples?) is soft so you cut it.

Really ?.....both of these are available in the UK at reasonable prices......

https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Kraton...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Straig...9574AMJE98ZQWD

Isn't the purpose of the KaBar rather different to what it is being used for by us folk on here? It was designed to be good at tasks fortunately none of us is likely ever to be faced with.

I wouldn't use a Spyderco Civilian for camp food prep and then complain about the features that make it the dedicated purpose tool it is as hindering its use for camp food prep.

I referredto the classic Ka-Bar USMC.
    I believe that it was designed to be an all purpose knife, not just a fighting knife.
    Opening cans, cutting food, cutting wood for starting a fire, hammering in shelter spikes, stuff like that?

Those other Ka-bar knifes look quite useful. Did you find them by Googling 'butt plate'?

Last edited by Janne; 17-06-2017 at 14:07.

"Did you find them by Googling 'butt plate'?"

No Sir !!

I have one of the above and it's a great knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
    "Did you find them by Googling 'butt plate'?"

No Sir !!

I have one of the above and it's a great knife.
    It does look good. How is the steel, and how thick?

I did sharpen mine, and removed the surface rust layer last year or the year before.
    The scabbard is pretty bad too, soft-ish leather.

I did carry it in Nature about 15 years ago just after I bought it at an auction. I could not do anything a normal knife does.

I think they were designed to open thick cans. Hammer in spikes. Cut human anatomy.
    You're partly right. They were designed to take abuse (open cans and ammo crates and such) "Designed" might be the wrong word though; they're really just a small bowie knife with a military handle.

All that said, I never had any trouble with mine as far as using it as a knife. Cuts just fine whether peeling fruit or butchering a deer. Not a particularly good skinner though.

And yeah, some of the old sheaths were crap.

This old fashioned Pilot's Survival Knife (still being produced and marketed by Ontario Knife Company) isn't bad as such knives go. However, the problem with it (or any other knife) used for hammering is more than just needing a tough but-plate. The but plate on this one, and several others that have been recommended, is that said but plate while more than tough enough, doesn't have sufficient mass to impart the energy needed for real hammering. Nor is the blade (which is the default hammer handle) long enough for the leverage to generate enough torque.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Isn't the purpose of the KaBar rather different to what it is being used for by us folk on here? It was designed to be good at tasks fortunately none of us is likely ever to be faced with.....
    It was "designed" a couple of centuries ago as the Bowie Knife. It's an all purpose knife although the military version Kabar is a bit small.

It does look good. How is the steel, and how thick?
    Unless stated otherwise, the steel for Kabars is 1095 carbon steel. The old military ones came in a number of different finishes (including parkerized as you mentioned) You can also find examples that are dry coated, anodized, blued, etc. The ones for civilian sale can easily be found with a high gloss slick black finish.

Santaman, out of interest mate. Would you have been issued/carried a bayonet as well as the KaBar?
    Uncle chop chop

Good to hear from the horse's mouth about them!

I also have a few other war blades, from the Axis side. One German bayonet, made in -44, is not even made from an Iron based alloy. Some kind of Aluminium (?) alloy. No wonder they could not stop the Soviets. I guess ok as a sticking weapon, totally (100%) useless for anything else.

Thanks for the memories. I had a cheap, knock-off 8" Bowie. Opening cans, chopping wood, pounding tent pegs, slipping oysters off the rocks. . . . . and I lost it.

I didn't think the butt plate on my rob evs bushtool would get much use but I was wrong.

I bought the knife because of robs reputation for his craft and the fact it looked nice

I have used the plate for processing sinew, crushing pigment, cracking nuts, cold forging a small bit of metal, processing shellfish, hammering u-nails,,,

Stunning bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    . . . . . and I lost it.
    I think I am responsible for a lot of future Archeology finds in Europe.
    Started here too, by losing a Fällkniv on a sand bank in the middle of the night...

Quote Originally Posted by sunndog View Post
    Santaman, out of interest mate. Would you have been issued/carried a bayonet as well as the KaBar?
    It's an interesting question without a definite answer. I could be wrong but I don't know of anybody actually being issued the Kabar in decades (since the Vietnam era or so) Most Marines and/or other service members buy their own; or another preferred knife. there is still an NSN for it (although the manufacturer probably won't really be kabar) but I'm not aware of it being issued. I bought one (a real Kabar manufacture rather than a generic copy) for a younger cousin as a gift when he graduated Marine Corps Boot Camp a few years ago.

Just seen a production Bushtool-type knife for sale in some photos from today's KnivesUK show - have a search for American Knife Company and their Forest series.

The Gerber LMF II has a pommel that was designed to be used as a hammer.

https://www.heinnie.com/gerber-lmf-ii-infantry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12