Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed; Cooking pot set for newbie?

1. Default

http://shop.scouts.org.uk/p-14992-va...etfilters=true 😄Before i Buy this a good choice ? Thanks

I'm also in the market for a new cookset and just picked up one of these for 30.

I like the strainer in the lid thing. I go out with my son a lot so I'm usually cooking for two and you can barely get enough pasta in a 1.5l. I also have to carry everything. My stainless plates fit inside (I checked) and I use those as cutting boards or whatever. I like to actually cook rather than rehydrate stuff.

HOWEVER, I've also bought one of these for also only 30. Basically a mess kit for two. The idea being I'll return whichever one I don't like.

Unfortunately there's too much choice, so it comes down to what you need. The kits you posted look fine. Both are good size for one, possibly slightly small frying pan for two. 1.6l is loads for one person. With this Alpkit i would probably skip the kettle and just boil the water in the pan. You can then fill the space with plates if u want them, utensils, stove, gas (if you use it), food etc.

I also like this one. it has everything you need, plus it's steel and will last.

Here's another good buy from our friends in China. Stainless with copper bottoms which is what your pans at home will have

Stainless steel mess tins.

I'm also in the market for a new cookset and just picked up one of these for 30
    I recommended them as well - good price for Fire Maple (rebadged), and a useful set. Same for the Alpkit.

Stainless steel mess tins.
    Try actually practically cooking with mess tins - they don't really work, or at least all that well. OK for heating up water or sloppy stuff like stew, but more than that you start to have problems.

They aren't nonstick, and because they are relatively deep with corners, are a pain to fry anything in, and a pain to clean. And being rectangular, they dont nestle very well. That probably worked fine with a hexi burner, but a Pocket Rocket etc, small gas bottle, plate, etc will all pack very well into a round set.

I gave up on mine very quickly and bought something more like the Vango set above. Much easier to use, clean and pack.

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    Here's another good buy from our friends in China. Stainless with copper bottoms which is what your pans at home will have
    That link is to ss Regatta pots with no mention of the copper?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That link is to ss Regatta pots with no mention of the copper?
    http://www.regatta.com/compact-steel...lver-0-14.html

What kit you obtain depends on how it will be used. Are you using e.g. a butane burner like a pocket rocket, an alcohol stove like a Fancy feest, or cooking over an open fire? Also what are you cooking? and for how many. If solo a kettle is is, imo superfluous if using a single burner gas or alcohol stove. Will you be in a stationary camp, a short walk from your vehicle orwill you be hiking long distances with lots of elevation gain. What will you be cooking? Fresh foods like bacon will need a frying pan, but if you are just heating up cans of stew or soup,then all you need is a small pot. You can save a lot by scavenging in charity/thrift stores. We haven't mentioned budget. I take pleasure in putting together cook kits by recycling pop and tuna cans (for stoves) and repurposing ss or al bowls found in thrift stores. Seems more "bushcrafty" tp me. On the other hand, with an unlimited budget you can splash 150 p0unds on the latest,nested Titanium sets. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money and put it towards the best sleep system I could afford. I do like the earlier suggestion of repurposing (and saving) a food can to make a billy and a small frying pan - cool. And use food cans to make a hobo stove, or even a wood gas stove, to burn twigs and small sticks if you prefer a natural fuelled system.
    Last edited by PDA1; 19-06-2017 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post
    I recommended them as well - good price for Fire Maple (rebadged), and a useful set. Same for the Alpkit.
    The Vango is a Fire Maple Feast 2 I believe but I'm not sure the GSI is, unless you can point me to the original. It's their own proprietary coating and normally quite expensive.

I meant the Vango, and the Alpkit. GSI probably makes their own, although you'll pay a bit extra. I'd like some GSI when I can afford it!

Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    Cheers for the link

Get some with locking handles like the msr alpine pot. A lot like it on here for the reasons mentioned above (gas cannister etc) sort of a round mess tin. I believe it's also cloned as a zebera.
    A man can do no sin with his own wife,
    Nor can he hurt himself with his own knife

As I suggested before, I use stainless steel mess fine with a homemade lid. They do nestle well either together or in my rucksack. Difficult to clean, not really I have seasoned my larger one and only use the smaller one for boiling water. I have cleaned mine more than once by just turning it upside down and putting it on the fire. Something i wouldnt recommend with aluminium. Difficult to fry in, I regularly fry steak so no.
    First decide what you are going to be cooking and then take it from there. Then decide what fuel you are going to be using. With these two things in mind then start looking. Better still go out with people or to meets and have a look at what's being used.

PDA1 has it. No aluminium on an open fire - an issue for some, not for others.

Are you carrying your kit on foot? If so, how far?

What do you want to cook and for how many people?

A single can of 750ml or so may be fine for one person, and you can eat and drink from it as well. Mess tin cooking is also fine for one, IMO. That's what they were made for, after all.

A thing to note with frying pans is that a lot of the ones in the nesting kits are amazingly small - the size of a saucer - so you can only fit one egg at a time. And because we're talking about the area of a circle, an 8" pan is actually over 50% larger than a 6.5" pan. It can make a big difference.

When cooking for two, I prefer low and wide pans as they nest with a bigger frying pan, fit better in a rucksack and boil faster if you have a reasonable sized stove. A couple of deep plates can be used for soup or dryer food and you can cut on them. Fresh gathered wild garlic soup! Pan size 1.5l up, and then everything gets stored inside.

On my own I wouldn't bother with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
    What kit you obtain depends on how it will be used. Are you using e.g. a butane burner like a pocket rocket, an alcohol stove like a Fancy feest, or cooking over an open fire? Also what are you cooking? and for how many. If solo a kettle is is, imo superfluous if using a single burner gas or alcohol stove. Will you be in a stationary camp, a short walk from your vehicle orwill you be hiking long distances with lots of elevation gain. What will you be cooking? Fresh foods like bacon will need a frying pan, but if you are just heating up cans of stew or soup,then all you need is a small pot. You can save a lot by scavenging in charity/thrift stores. We haven't mentioned budget. I take pleasure in putting together cook kits by recycling pop and tuna cans (for stoves) and repurposing ss or al bowls found in thrift stores. Seems more "bushcrafty" tp me. On the other hand, with an unlimited budget you can splash 150 p0unds on the latest,nested Titanium sets. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money and put it towards the best sleep system I could afford. I do like the earlier suggestion of repurposing (and saving) a food can to make a billy and a small frying pan - cool. And use food cans to make a hobo stove, or even a wood gas stove, to burn twigs and small sticks if you prefer a natural fuelled system.
    Last edited by parker_knoll; 20-06-2017 at 08:47.

TK maxx in Glasgow have Salter carbon steel pans in for about 10 for the mid size pan, metal handle with a bit of plastic on the end (most likely metal underneath);

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Salter-Pan...nq7xiIdOIY4eSg

Should last years.

Tonyuk
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12