Alpkit

Thread: few spoons

Default few spoons

Here are a few spoons I've carved lately.

Mesquite....

And some black walnut....

Lovely lovely spoonage, sitting here 2.40 am hands sore as heck as i've been whittling a piece of seasoned pink ivory wood

Thanks! Don't envy you. I tried some ironwood once and gave up quickly.....Bet it'll look nice though when you're done.....kind of like sculpting....

it really really is like sculpting, i'm using a razor sharp sloyd knife and i am shaving it smaller at best, any more than that and i lift wedges tearing across the grain, only been carving for about 2 hrs and i have had the knife back on the honing stone every 15 minutes just to keep the shaving possible, no rush it will be a something

Lovely spoons again Forginhill, and the chip carving is great.

Look forward to seeing your work too GGT.

I am not young enough to know everything.
    Oscar Wilde

The spoons on their own are superb but the chip carving really sets them off

Really clean, nice work. I definitely need to step up my spoon game.

Thanks guys for the kind words....

GGTBod, you have more patience than I....whew, that'll teach one about edge maintenance....

I eventually had to put it down mate, fingers and thumbs are all tender, knife looks like i have been cutting knots in kin dried oak or summick, the pink ivory is totally knot free but so bloody dense

Sounds like you're close to overdoing it with the hand and your knife edge (but I know progress is addictive)....I have a piece of pink ivory I was saving for handles. Might whittle on an edge just to see how crazy it is to carve.

Lovely spoons! And it looks like your chip carving decoration is getting more intricate. Is there any significance to the patterns ( some tribal influence perhaps?).

Quote Originally Posted by forginhill View Post
    Sounds like you're close to overdoing it with the hand and your knife edge (but I know progress is addictive)....I have a piece of pink ivory I was saving for handles. Might whittle on an edge just to see how crazy it is to carve.
    I should have put the knife down long before i did but i was enjoying myself despite the finger n thumb pain, mine are still in training from 20 years of office work to being an outdoorsman, slow n painful progress but they be getting tougher callous by callous and blister by blister, the wood is brutal on the knife edge though, spent a good hour when i was done this morning just restoring the edge fully

Wow! They are beautiful!
    Amazing job you've done there!
    "Always hike in bear country with someone you can out run" - Unknown.

I always look forward to the diversity of handle designs. Never a disappointment.

That's lovely work. Very well done.

Very nice work!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk