Alpkit
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best / Favourite UK Legal Pocket Knife..

Default Best / Favourite UK Legal Pocket Knife..

I think the title says it all really.
    Please post with what is your preferred pocket knife.
    Feel free to add photos, links reasons why.
    (Please don't include UK non-legal models unless they've been modded to be legal.)

I have a couple of SAKs but by default really (as it is my only UK legal knife) my favourite pocket knife is my TBS Boar Folding Pocket Knife in Turkish Walnut.
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/t...ii-16332-p.asp

Mainly I'm looking for inspiration for a new shiny so try to persuade me yours is best...
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

This is mine:
    https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...olo-handle.htm

But glad to say I only paid about 60 for it umpteen years ago!
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

Spyderco Urban or Spyderco PITS. The Urban is perhaps the more perfect, but doesn't have the chic charm of Mikes Spydie collab.

The Urban is light, has a strong spring, a decent choil to prevent the blade closing on you, is one handed opening,
    and a half stop prevents that slightly worrying snapping shut on closing. It's honestly my most used knife and is carried daily.

I can do some pics, but I've just scrapped a glitchy Photobucket account and starting a new one, so will need to download them to the new account.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

Enzo PK70. I love mine, its on my belt, everyday. Full flat, Sv30 steel, stays sharp for a long time, but is a pain to get sharp. Really tough steel. Great knife.
    He who says, "he can" and he who says "he can't" are both usually right.

Blog Entries

Tbs boar

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
    William Blake

I've a few which I enjoy like Spyderco, Case and Puma but, just last week in fact, I found out one I really don't like.

I paid just shy of a ton for a Canadian Grohmann stag slippie. The blade rubs the brass liner about half the entire length while the snap and spring to stay open is virtually non-existent and there is a step from the backspring to the slightly rounded tang of the blade. While I'm not hoping for it to be invisible, I'd rather not have a step between the two and I'd like the blade tang/backspring to butt into each other the entire width so it would be more rigid. I was in the hardware shop this afternoon buying some bits and they had what was like an old fashioned sweetie jar full of Rosewood handled Lambsfoot slipjoints for 7 each. They put the Grohmann to shame for blade centering and a snappy open/close. It's clumsy, poorly built, poorly finished and downright dangerous to use. Simply utter garbage.
    Last edited by Eighteen12; 18-05-2017 at 23:05.

At the moment I think the Urban is still the most perfect, if not a little pricey these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerne View Post
    This is mine:
    https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/...olo-handle.htm

But glad to say I only paid about 60 for it umpteen years ago!

falkniven have gone raving made 60 is about as much as I'd pay. Didn't get on with mine though the exposed metal on the handle gve me hot spots

I don't know about best but I carry a SAK Climber every day.
    Everyday is a school day

Whatever else I try I always seem to end up going back to carrying a SAK, usually a Huntsman, and there is a SAK Classic on my keyring, just in case.
    So many look, so few see.

I'm not tight! I'm frugal!

Quote Originally Posted by KenThis View Post
    I think the title says it all really.
    Please post with what is your preferred pocket knife.
    Feel free to add photos, links reasons why.
    (Please don't include UK non-legal models unless they've been modded to be legal.)

I have a couple of SAKs but by default really (as it is my only UK legal knife) my favourite pocket knife is my TBS Boar Folding Pocket Knife in Turkish Walnut.
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/t...ii-16332-p.asp

Mainly I'm looking for inspiration for a new shiny so try to persuade me yours is best...
    SAK Huntsman for me but this is as much for sentimental reasons as it is for being a useful tool (particularly the tweezers!).

I must admit that I've been eyeing up that non-locking TBS Boar folding knife for a while now. I'm guessing that you rate it?
    Barneys Bimbles and Adventures, check out my blog for tales and photographs of my outdoor adventures.

http://barneysbimbles.blogspot.co.uk

SAKS are useful multitools but for the pleasure of carry and use I like Buck knives

either the 703 or 303 are always in my pocket/bag

TBS boar but I am currently in love with my viper dan2. A little fiddly to open, but what a knife!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hughlle1 View Post
    TBS boar but I am currently in love with my viper dan2. A little fiddly to open, but what a knife!
    I screwed a thumbstud onto my TBS for the same reason, makes a world of difference.
    https://www.heinnie.com/kwik-thumb-stud
    William Blake

I have always been very fond of my Alox SAK solo. Great fit and finish, strong back Spring, light weight and very cheap. The only thing that lets it down is the edge retention - even look at the edge the wrong way and it packs up and buggers off. Still, a quick strop and he's back again.

I thought the BB urban was going to be the one EDC to rule them all but it just seemed too fragile (especially the tip) and left me feeling a bit cold. Thought it needed way too much effort to overwhelm the back Spring to close it.

Now mostly when don't carry my Opi 7 carbon (at work), I carry an EM Pingo. It has all the positives of my solo, only has a pocket clip and the M390 blade keeps an incredibly sharp edge. Although not long had it, it Might just be my favourite EDC so far.

Another vote for the TBS Boar. A really solid feel and a real scandi grind for whittling. Mine has a fingernail notch in the blade which I believe is an upgraded version.

Of course I would always have a SAK Hiker in my other pocket as the Boar is not so good at opening bottles / undoing Phillips head screws.

Z
    "Ne mg werig mod wyrde wistondan ne se hreo hyge helpe gefremman."

Not mentioned yet but I carry one of the Boker techtools, #4 I think. It goes everywhere I go, I used to carry a sak huntsman but I think the Boker is a cut above. A lot of people have mentioned the boar which I have and love the fixed blade version but for me I think I'd miss the extra features of a multi tool, I'll just use a fixed blade for carving or a carving jack. That being said I think the boar folders are probably the best for what they are.

IMG_1164.JPG

the British army clasp/ jack knife with black handle ( for its strength and feels like a strong reliable tool, excellent blade) issued I believe from WW1 to the 1950's.

Or a Swiss Huntsman for the scissors I use the most and tweezers and it has a saw blade ( lots of multi use in a light small tool)

IMG_1166.jpg
    Last edited by MikeLA; 19-05-2017 at 18:55.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    I screwed a thumbstud onto my TBS for the same reason, makes a world of difference.
    https://www.heinnie.com/kwik-thumb-stud
    Oh, the TBS boar is fine, never had an issue, even without the fingernail notch. I was refering to the viper dan2. It's a fantastic knife but the only way to open it is with a lever, like on a friction folder, except it is a like a slipjoint so there is a good bit of resistance.

[IMG]0ahUKEwikjtKptvzTAhVGahoKHdj3C XsQ_AUICigC#imgrc=15iwucAK1Y1z pM[/IMG]

K
    Klenchblaize

It was evening all afternoon.
    It was snowing
    And it was going to snow.
    The blackbird sat
    In the cedar-limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    [IMG]0ahUKEwikjtKptvzTAhVGahoKHdj3C XsQ_AUICigC#imgrc=15iwucAK1Y1z pM[/IMG]

K
    Linkee no workee!
    How do you make the Gods laugh?........................ ..Tell 'em your plans!

I'm glad there's so much love for the boar. I do like it and am glad I got it, but I did very little research before hand.

I am also enjoying googling other people's knife choices.
    There are some really nice (but expensive) folders around.
    Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos. Stelio.. Stelio Kontos....

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    falkniven have gone raving made 60 is about as much as I'd pay. Didn't get on with mine though the exposed metal on the handle gve me hot spots
    I have a U2 which is now aparently 101quid! And it's not very good either

Quote Originally Posted by KenThis View Post
    I'm glad there's so much love for the boar. I do like it and am glad I got it, but I did very little research before hand.

I am also enjoying googling other people's knife choices.
    There are some really nice (but expensive) folders around.
    I do find it interesting. When I joined this forum I got a slating for buying a mass produced knife (the boar). I'll say what I said then, if it is a good knife, then to hell with the provenance. And the boar is fantastic, fixed or folding. The more scandi slipjoint the better. I'm also very tempted to buy one of the boar locking folders to go in the emergency pouch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hughlle1 View Post
    I do find it interesting. When I joined this forum I got a slating for buying a mass produced knife (the boar). I'll say what I said then, if it is a good knife, then to hell with the provenance. And the boar is fantastic, fixed or folding. The more scandi slipjoint the better. I'm also very tempted to buy one of the boar locking folders to go in the emergency pouch.
    Really? Sorry about that, odd given the goto recommendation for a knife on this forum is usually a Mora... Mass produced, cheap, and a great knife...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by MartiniDave View Post
    Whatever else I try I always seem to end up going back to carrying a SAK, usually a Huntsman, and there is a SAK Classic on my keyring, just in case.
    Snap .

But Boker Plus tech tool 1 is starting to creep into my pocket quite regularly at the moment though.
    It's not the years in your life that count but the life in your years.

I'm not bound by the limitations of uk legal, but the UKPK is a very fine knife. Light, keeps a decent edge, not too expensive and can be put to hard use (for a pocket knife).

SAK farmer is another good option, but I find it hard not to have a one handed opening everyday pocket knife after having a few Spydercos.
    http://mylercustomleather.com/
    Bespoke leather goods. Handmade in Ireland to last a lifetime.

The Byrd Tern is nice if your budget is constrained. One handed opening too.

I like my ukpk, seems to stay sharp for ages despite loads of abuse!
    The things that come to those who wait will be the things left by those who got there first.

I like my Spidey UKPK too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast