Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Socks for your boots - layering?

Yeah I didn't like the feel of the thinner sock under the thick it seemed to rub and burn my skin.

I tried double socks. Very tight fit.
    And, one sock always rubbed against the other and one was on it's way to being packed into the toe of my boot.
    I like a single pair.

Then, I have several pairs of felt insoles. Like walking on as cloud and I replace those daily.
    I'm not interested to do a lot of walking in the winter so the felt insoles add a little more insulation.
    My winter boots are good enough to go barefoot.

I just have one pair of felted merino socks

Last Tuesday I walked 28km across boggy mountain plateau of 14 km and then 14km on roads using sealskin waterproof socks with a second thin pair inside. I have had them a long time and they decided not to stay waterproof on this trip. The damage was caused on the road section. This is my feet two days later after the top of the blisters 'came off'.

20170812_002223 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

20170812_002249 by chrstphrferg, on Flickr

Sealskins are good for standing about but i wouldnt want to walk any distance in them, hold far too much sweat in.

Get some tinc benz on the blisters, it wont sting at all, i swear.

Tonyuk
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyuk View Post
    Sealskins are good for standing about but i wouldnt want to walk any distance in them, hold far too much sweat in.

Get some tinc benz on the blisters, it wont sting at all, i swear.

Tonyuk
    Yep, I found that 😁

You swear eh, I believe you! Iodine stings though 😂

It's taken a week for them to heal.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Ahh but iodine doesn't give that interesting fizzing sensation and look right before the pain hits, you put it on, see it fiz a bit and think this isnt so bad. That changes quickly.

Its good that you know where on the feet your prone to blistering, next time a bit of tinc benz onto clean skin, let it go tacky then apply zinc oxide over. The benz acts as a sort of glue to hold the tape on properly.

Tonyuk
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by FlashPan View Post
    But also the info I was looking for was which type of socks to use if you go for 2 pairs? I have mountains of thick army surplus socks but not sure what smaller inner sock is suitable to purchase?

Cheers
    Lots of negatives of wearing two pairs of socks - the most obvious being extra elastic leading to greater compression of the toes, therefore increasing likelihood of blisters due to increased friction.

IF wearing two pairs, try Injinji toe socks as your liner. The material between each toe lessens the likelihood of inter-digital blisters as the toes won't directly rub together. If you're a runner, you'll likely know ultramarathoners swear by them.

Maybe some young kid who serves on Marines/Pathfinders etc will elaborate as I'm an out of date old codger, but during training days if we got a bad blister we'd have iodine injected straight into it. 'Tinker treatment', they called it You'd report a blister once then never go back after 'first treatment'.

Being as I prefer to wear sandals most of the time, no socks is best. Two pairs in a pair of boots is excessive for me, if the terrain demands boots then one pair is enough, I have a very comfortable pair of brasher boots and no particular problems with blisters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12