Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tick removed....now what?

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    .....Look: The nose beaks are barbed so you have to get all of that.
    Never squeeze a tick for any reason. They can puke up a buffet of arboviruses,
    some of which may be new to science.
    When I was a kid sometimes instead of pulling a tick off, they'd stick a hot match to it so it would back out. Now we know that can also make them puke up toxins.

If you see your GP after each tick bite he will diagnose you as having Entomophobia and send you for shock therapy. Maybe a lobotomy if your phobia does not disappear.

( do not worry, at most he will prescribe Zanax. That is some good s*it, trust me!!))

The power of suggestion: 6 faculty on an extended field collecting trip in serious TICK country (west of William's Lake, BC).
    May, after supper, we're all in one motel room having a slurp and watching Stanley Cup playoff ice hockey.
    I went into the bathroom and did a very serious search of all parts of me, with a mirror.

Got dressed, came out, cracked a beer and sat down. Said: "Well, there are no ticks on me."
    One by one, over the next half hour, _everybody_ made a long visit to the bathroom !!!!

Chris

Being lost is a state of mind, not a state of place.

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Claycomb View Post
    I hadn't heard of it until now. That said, it looks like it's still confined to the Northeast for now; that could be why it's not in the news down here. Thanks for the heads up, I'll spread this on FB for my friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    If you see your GP after each tick bite he will diagnose you as having Entomophobia and send you for shock therapy. Maybe a lobotomy if your phobia does not disappear.

( do not worry, at most he will prescribe Zanax. That is some good s*it, trust me!!))
    I agree it's overkill, but I can't/won't laugh because some of the members on this forum, possibly on this thread, have Lyme's and because some of them also probably get ticks infrequently enough to make such checks more practical than us.

Do not recall hearing anything about it, here in the Pacific Northwest.
    I'll ask the farm & ranch gang here in the district.

had my first and probably not the last tick a few weeks back.noticed it on the sunday evening.i just brushed it off not realising what it was then followed a frantic search to see if it came away intact and thankfully it did.no symptons and bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    I agree it's overkill, but I can't/won't laugh because some of the members on this forum, possibly on this thread, have Lyme's and because some of them also probably get ticks infrequently enough to make such checks more practical than us.
    I have had Lyme's myself. Was properly treated.
    We should laugh about everything in an attempt to make our short, miserable lifes happier!

I've never managed to get a tick on me yet, which is quite surprising considering I regularly scrabble about in a steep sided forest with high foliage, and a good amount of deer.

I always wear boots and long durable trousers when I'm in there, so I would only expect them on my arms if they appeared.
    Now what I'm wondering if how is it I read of so many of them attaching themselves to scrotums. Are they climbing up your legs whilst wearing baggy shorts, or can they route their way through tucked in clothing?

Their crawling speed can be substantial. Up your pant leg, down your shirt collar.
    It is prudent here to examine _all_ of yourself with a mirror.

The deal is that they do their biology on the ground. Then they want a warm, living host to ride for a year.
    So, the scent of urine attracts them to game trails. They climb the shrubbery and sit with front legs extended
    to grab the next passer-by.

Standard collection device is a square meter of white flannel on a stick to sweep the game trail ahead of your travel.

Well you've made me buy a tick remover tool from ebay just in case now!

This is the reason a bushcrafter gets married. Check for ticks in hard to see areas!

Worrying things. Have had a few, so far so good, use tick tweezers.
    A son of a friend started his maths degree at Oxford, got sick in the first year, by the time the doctors decided it was Lymes or something like it, too late. On a good day he can walk to the shops, on a bad day he cannot getboff the sofa. For the last thirty years.
    Be careful !!

There is no 'S', it's 'Lyme' disease!
    Chris

'Experience teaches only the teachable'. Aldous Huxley

Ciao Jules

If in doubt get it checked out, two friends of mine one a FC stalker and one a Gamekeeper have both now got Lymes disease which is debilitating in both cases. This is in the Scottish Borders.
    Better safe than sorry, it's a genuine reason to get checked out and if found treated promptly thus stopping this life changing illness.
    Best
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by Dogoak View Post
    There is no 'S', it's 'Lyme' disease!
    True. Better to call it Borreliosis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    This is the reason a bushcrafter gets married. Check for ticks in hard to see areas!
    This post comes close to the sites ongoing 'change a letter' thread! (I'll post a clue for those who need one )
    Free-State Yorkshire Now!

Another west-coaster. Had my fair share of ticks. The children often have them whilst playing out. We just remove them (ticks, not the children) and move on with our lives. The red deer are a major problem carrying them and then passing them to our sheep. It doesn't help when your laird is a namby-pamby deer hugger and won't cull the buggers sufficiently.

Our friends recently returned to the islands. Took their sheep back and unknowingly put them on land that the deer had been heavily running on. They lost 50 sheep in less than 2 weeks due to the ticks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12