Alpkit
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shower ? cleaning yourself clean !

I don't wash but I always stand next to some who smells worse than me. Same logic as running fast and Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by adestu View Post
    evening all
    i have a sea to summit shower due for delivery any day now and will hopefully test it this weekend.just with warm water.have to say nothing better than birthday suit in the woods and a billy of warm water poured over the head just before bed after a quick towel of course.
    Hope you don't scare the wildlife away Ade !

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm View Post
    Hope you don't scare the wildlife away Ade !
    Well, at least it won't be living in his pants, unlike the rest of us
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

Hey Paul
    It scared you away . honestly with a mix of hot and cold and it suspended from a convenient tree it worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock_man View Post
    I don't wash but I always stand next to some who smells worse than me. Same logic as running fast and Bears!
    And attractiveness, mind for me that's easy as I'm soo gosh darn 'purty.
    A man can do no sin with his own wife,
    Nor can he hurt himself with his own knife

I like to have a swim in rivers and lakes and the sea when I'm out and about, I don't use soaps or detergents of any sort in these places.
    For washing, I always carry a 5L Ortlieb folding bowl when I'm backpacking, fill it with soapy water, I like to use a bar of soap and a cotton flannel if I can, lather up, get clean, replacing water if necessary then rinse with clean water.
    I'm considering replacing my Ortlieb bowl though, it's a great bit of kit and bombproof. Any suggestions of something a bit lighter would be welcome.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk
    It's a lonely old world..........if you try hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe tahkahikew View Post
    We always washed or swam in the rivers or lakes. Bit harder in winter after the freeze up!! Cold water is good for body, spirit and heart.
    Washing in cold water is a very good way of training the bodies cold shock response, which has the advantage that you're less likely to inhale if you land in cold water accidentally, reducing you're risk of drowning. Even if you don't wash in cold streams, a cold shower every 2-3 weeks is enough to train the response.</useless trivia>

J
    --
    Http://b.42q.eu/ - Beer, Bikes and Backpacking.

Last weekend I rigged up a squadpak - its a 25 Ltr camelbak - in tree. Excellent shower!

well for what it is the sea to summit shower works pretty well.

I'm struggling with people advising to wash in streams. If you are washing in my drinking water expect to be challenged.

If you are camping you have many receptacles that will hold water. Wash and dispose of the water away from watercourses. Perhaps the same people would use them as toilets too?
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    I'm struggling with people advising to wash in streams. If you are washing in my drinking water expect to be challenged.....
    No problem. just be sure to challenge the fish having sex in that water; and the land based wildlife dying in it; the bears fishing in it, the cattle crossing (and urinating) in it; etc.
    Last edited by santaman2000; 19-06-2017 at 21:05. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    I'm struggling with people advising to wash in streams. If you are washing in my drinking water expect to be challenged.

If you are camping you have many receptacles that will hold water. Wash and dispose of the water away from watercourses. Perhaps the same people would use them as toilets too?
    Do you know that a lot of the tap water in Europe is purified sewage?

When I wash myselves in a stream I am improving the flavour and nutritional value of the water!

nutritional value
    please please please... no more details

Absolutely. We pay a lot of money to have the water purified.

What I don't expect when drinking water from a nice stream in the high hills it that some muppet is taking their ablutions in it further up stream!
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

The muppet is downstream.....

In Scandinavia we have an unwritten rule not to do a No 1 or No 2 close to a stream.
    Of course, if there is a stream close by, we do wash our hands there.
    Only unhappy dwarfes carry water away from a natural water to wash themselves. That is one of the reasons they sre unhappy!
    The happy dwarf does not spend too much time and effort washing while in Nature.
    Last edited by Janne; 20-06-2017 at 02:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    The muppet is downstream.....

In Scandinavia we have an unwritten rule not to do a No 1 or No 2 close to a stream.....
    In many, if not most, states that rule is actually written. The distances quoted vary by state but generally something like at least 100 yards from established campgrounds and/or trails and 200 yards from a stream. That said, most of the public probably doesn't even know about those laws; much less follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    In many, if not most, states that rule is actually written. The distances quoted vary by state but generally something like at least 100 yards from established campgrounds and/or trails and 200 yards from a stream. That said, most of the public probably doesn't even know about those laws; much less follow them.
    Bears in the woods neither.

Reminds me of the time I was camping somewhere on Scotland's north coast, not too far from Dounreay. My water filter had burst, so I was boiling stream water or using iodine tablets.

One evening I followed my usual practice of checking the stream out upstream a little, just in case. A few hundred yards up I found the top half of a sheep sitting in it, guts hanging out into the water. Dead obviously, but not for too long because it still had its eyes.

It looked quite cleanly severed midway. I always wondered where the bottom half went... but I went thirsty that night and slept with one eye open!

As to keeping clean, in case of emergencies (and lack of a suitable stream) I always carry a bag of hand sanitizers and use those on the smelliest parts.
    Last edited by FoxyRick; 21-06-2017 at 22:51. Reason: I can't speel

Did you cook it?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyRick View Post
    Reminds me of the time I was camping somewhere on Scotland's north coast, not too far from Dounreay. My water filter had burst, so I was boiling stream water or using iodine tablets.

One evening I followed my usual practice of checking the stream out upstream a little, just in case. A few hundred yards up I found the top half of a sheep sitting in it, guts hanging out into the water. Dead obviously, but not for too long because it still had its eyes.

It looked quite cleanly severed midway. I always wondered where the bottom half went... but I went thirsty that night and slept with one eye open!

As to keeping clean, in case of emergencies (and lack of a suitable stream) I always carry a bag of hand sanitizers and use those on the smelliest parts.

Quote Originally Posted by adestu View Post
    well for what it is the sea to summit shower works pretty well.
    You know the rules..........photos or it didn't happen !

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Did you cook it?
    No, but these days I probably would drag it back and roast it well!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123