Alpkit

Thread: Want a career as a bushcraft instructor?

Default Want a career as a bushcraft instructor?

Friend of mine has taken over the famous NVQ level 4 Cert Bushcraft Instructors Course developed by John Rhyder of The Woodcraft School

Phil has been the assistant instructor on Mr Ryder's course for the past 10 years

He takes over the course this year - an outstanding naturalist, Phil's love for nature is exceeded only by his passion for his students

Check out

http://www.chosenpathsbushcraft.co.u...e-iiq-level-4/

PS - I did this course last year - it is simply outstanding
    Last edited by bowji john; 20-02-2017 at 16:32.
    Bowji Bushcamping & Oakview Consultants Ltd - H & S Consultants to outdoor industry
    https://www.facebook.com/Bowji-Bushc...6273803111294/

Would it suitable for complete noobs? I know that sounds a stupid question but some courses take you through the skill levels required to instruct.

Not a stupid question at all - I think you need at least a basic level of skill otherwise it might be a hell of a challenge

The course deals with things like fire, water filtration, shelters, knife work etc (the standard things associated with a basic level of bushcraft) in the first few days

The course goes way beyond basic camp craft and the pace is rapid and unrelenting

5 full days a month in the woods (in a hammock in my case) but also expect to put in anything from 10 to 40 hours of extra study in between

The final 2 or 3 months are targeted at converting those learned skills into the 'classroom' and learning to deliver lessons/courses

It is a professionally delivered curriculum and you come out the other side with a hugely increased level of skill and knowledge
    Last edited by bowji john; 20-02-2017 at 17:31.
    Bowji Bushcamping & Oakview Consultants Ltd - H & S Consultants to outdoor industry

Out of interest, what is the national average annual wage of a bushcraft instructor then? [Yes it must vary widely, yes different schools, and experiences offer different packages Im sure, but thats why I asked for the median or national average. A pound Figure. ]
    The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as civilisation, when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement.

Tacitus. The Agricola

I have no idea I'm afraid Dave

I don't think it makes anyone rich though .

At least not monetary wealth
    Last edited by bowji john; 20-02-2017 at 21:04.

No Im sure, just wondered mate. I have this sneaky suspicion its a lot lower than it should be.
    The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as civilisation, when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Out of interest, what is the national average annual wage of a bushcraft instructor then? [Yes it must vary widely, yes different schools, and experiences offer different packages Im sure, but thats why I asked for the median or national average. A pound Figure. ]
    I pay my guys 100 a day for a day course and 300 for a weekend. There are very few full time guys out there, those that are run their own company's
    www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk
    More than just survival!

Most guys I know also have 'more than one string to their bow'

As I said earlier - you will never get rich but you will never dread getting up to go to work either

You might be surprised to learn also that a lot of those with businesses in this field (and quite a few on here) are graduates of this course

Good morning Johnboe .

Quote Originally Posted by johnboe522 View Post
    I pay my guys 100 a day for a day course and 300 for a weekend. There are very few full time guys out there, those that are run their own company's
    Hier John. That doesnt answer my question. In fact thats why I specified my question to the national median. But no problem. Thankks for the input.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hier John. That doesnt answer my question. In fact thats why I specified my question to the national median. But no problem. Thankks for the input.
    I would be interested as well, but I don't know how you would find out. Based on other outdoor education professionals I expect it would be in 25,000 a year mark
    www.wildwaybushcraft.co.uk
    More than just survival!

Blog Entries

I do some "part time" Bushcraft instruction. I generally charge 100 per day but for big commercial deals it goes up to 150 and 100 for a night. I would not do Stag does for 1000s. For charities and truly disadvantaged groups (ie those with physical or learning disability) I charge a lesser amount ... but then that is the field I work in. Sometimes I work for free ... it all depends on how I like the work
    I have no idea of a "National Average" for this kind of work.
    I have so many strings to my bow I do not know which is the main one - writing, craft work, instruction, Care work... at various times each has brought in the most of my pitiful earnings - in recent years the Care Work is leading the way ... but then where I do Care work now that includes Bushcraft instruction and Craft work!
    I wake up each day with anticipation - not trepidation
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

There are often similar threads to this on a climbing website I look at. The conclusion seems to be that there is close to an over supply of instructors and limited demand, so you wont get rich. Do it if you feel you need to, but mostly its seasonal short term self employed gigs, that suits some, not all.
    Is this fair ? Hugely skilled highly trained professionals working for poor rates and no security ? I dont know, but I do know that I decided it was not for me. Best of luck to those who do it. My suspicion is that if you are too concerned about therates of pay, it aint for you. Just my thoughts.