Alpkit

Thread: Fire wood Prices?

Default Fire wood Prices?

The thread looking for a supply of fire wood for the Moot has got me thinking about the different prices people pay around the country for wood.

The average price around here in Bognor is 85- 95 for a pick up truck load. Amounts to about a square metre. That is seasoned split logs.

I just payed 130 for 6 ash logs. Approximately 2 ton.

What at is it costing you to heat your home?

i know we all source wood when we see it.

I'm about to move house, we will have a multifuel stove in the living room, but no wood store. The link below looks convenient for us as I won't be able to dry wood and the crate looks tidy (to keep neighbours happy). They also deliver to the door. 1.2 m^2 for 160 kiln dried delivered. I'll nail some ply on to keep the wood dry.

I know I'm paying for convenience, but I'm a bit short on options.

http://www.hardwooddistribution.co.u...wod-logs-crate

I never buy in firewood. I drive out with the bowsaw if I have to. Often stopping in Country lay-bys. Where there's a dead limb or three dropped in the undergrowth. Minimum cuts to fit on/in the vehicle and process back at base. I've found the small wooded areas in the centre of major trunk road roundabouts, to be excellent places to find semi dry, wind blown trees. Often unmanaged for years.

300 for about 5 ton of unprocessed logs. I mostly use coal.
    'Queen Victoria, very nice man'.

https://telemarktourerdotcom.wordpress.com/

You need contacts with the folks who cut back along the railways. They just chip the lot.

M
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

If you can find a tree surgeon who is contracted to the local council, they get huge quantities of timber every week... we had a local guy who would fill one of those big building supply bags full of dried logs for 40. He's moved further into Cheshire now, but still supplies a local farm... we can buy them in netted bags for a fiver from there. Mainly use smokeless fuel as it stays in overnight... but a couple of cut logs are good to get it going.

If I owned the house (having to rent due to work) I'd have a wood store and start drying my own wood, as you guys show, it's a damn sight cheaper.

I'm out in Singleton and paying 120 for 2 cubes of mixed ash, beech, plus a bit of birch and sycamore.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    You need contacts with the folks who cut back along the railways. They just chip the lot.

M
    Access is a problem Mary. I used to cut next to powerlines, but often couldn't get a vehicle in. Plus the work vehicles are stuffed with kit.

Be be worse on the railways, you need permits too.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

I have a forced-air, oil furnace and central heating. I regularly heat my home (2 x 1,200 sqft) for the winter with a wood pellet stove.
    The compressed wood pellets are delivered as 50 x 40lb bags to my front yard. Looks like maybe a m^3. Cost delivered was $235/ton, 2015/2016.
    I have space to stack the bags indoors as their ultra-dry composition is essential. There is no smoke at all from the combustion.
    In the last decade, I suppose I've burned 4-5 tons of pellets per winter. Every 500lbs of pellets produces about 3 liters of brownish, floury ash.

Given the price of furnace oil, the pellet stove paid for itself in $3,000 savings in the first 3 winters.
    That includes to 500W electical cost to run the 3 motors 24/7, October through to late April.
    Those savings paid the capital cost of all of my small solar power system in the next 2 winters.

i pay 140 for a trailer of mixed seasoned wood, although this year i should have me own seasoned wood.

I mainly burn coal in the winter as pound for pound i think it lasts longer. me stove does central heating and also hot water and i would say a ton lasts maybe 4months? and thats with central heating on 24hours a day (weve found its actually far far more economical to keep it on 24hours a day han let it go out and then reheat).

Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    Access is a problem Mary. I used to cut next to powerlines, but often couldn't get a vehicle in. Plus the work vehicles are stuffed with kit.

Be be worse on the railways, you need permits too.
    I agree if you're having to collect in situ, but the folks I know will phone up friends and say where they've left stuff for them. If it's not lifted by the next time they're back on site, it goes through the chipper.

M
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

I run the pellets 24/7 except for shut downs and clean outs.
    With a bin extension, the stove holds 2+ bags, maybe 100 lbs.
    Really cold, I'll top that up in the mornings and evenings with a 40lb bag each.
    When it's -15 to -25C outside, I'm cozy-happy if I can keep the kitchen at +18C or better.
    21C seems tropical after a while.

Even then, I have put thermometers in various cupboards and closets to see 12C.
    Issue if and when I want to do some yeast baking, commonly the coldest days with cold flour.
    The yeastie beasties don't like that.

Without the forced air function of the oil furnace, it took a couple of years to figure out how to get the hot air
    from the pellet stove to circulate through out the upstairs/main living level. It's a downdraft pipe and a 5W computer fan
    in a floor corner of a spare bedroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Nice65 View Post
    I'm out in Singleton and paying 120 for 2 cubes of mixed ash, beech, plus a bit of birch and sycamore.
    Could you pm me details of your supplier as I'm based in Bognor and our base is at Amberley?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Could you pm me details of your supplier as I'm based in Bognor and our base is at Amberley?
    Will do. The wood is all from Goodwood, but I actually pay a bit less for this via a bulk buyer than going to Goodwood direct.

He'll cut and split to size. By burner takes a max of 8" and likes smaller split logs for better airflow. The pub down the road have longer lengths that aren't split so small because their burners are bigger. Gimme a min, just filling my belly with mustard herb pork fillet and green lentils. It's lovely
    Last edited by Nice65; 06-07-2016 at 19:34.

My local Council does 6 tonne (approx) for 150. It's a whole boggy full of limbs and trunks. Otherwise it's 92 a cube.

20/ton softwood in length, 40/ton hardwood (like rocking horse poo though).
    Perk of the job 😁

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    If you can keep calm when all others around you are losing their heads - then the drugs are obviously working!

I bought a (very generously filled) dumpy bag of split hardwood for 65 last year.

A day when you have a legitimate, practical reason to use an axe is a good day.

we try and sell all our spare logs at 40 per transit load, green and unspoilt. (50 if we can't tip them). Normally decent hard woods. But not many folks want unsplit logs round here, weird!

I pay 55 for a builders dumpy bag of well seasoned split mixed hardwoods (delivered). I try and collect as much as I can through the summer though as we can use up to three dumpy bags a month in mid winter.
    If you can't tie knots tie lots!

Not sure what the going rate is for this way now as I'm stuck with the nasty central heating, but when I used to work for a large conservation charity the foresters would charge people 70 quid a trailer load of unseasoned large logs (which needed split). Staff would get them free....

I often visit a couple in the French Pyrenees to sort out their firewood (originally through Helpx) where the village residents are each allowed to cut 5 cubic metres per year. Pretty amazing really for free.....

Definitely make some calls to smaller local tree surgeons - when we moved into our home three years ago I had about nine tons of softwood (pine and conifer, which burns perfectly well in a stove) for under 100. No-one wanted to buy conifer as it isn't considered a good wood for burning - I'll attest to the fact that it burns perfectly well! We are still getting through the last of that load this winter.

Be aware that prices of chipped wood for supplying to biomass generators has increased recently - one big local arborist has bought a a chipper that will accept a five foot oak truck and produce chips for power generation. Absolute sacrilege if you ask me, but there we are; local supply may be short.

I live within a couple of miles of the Eglin AFB Military reservation. They sell firewood permits for $10 per pick-up load (cut your own) and a maximum of 10 loads fer household per year. They limit your harvest to scrub oak only for firewood but you are allowed to collect all the lightard (fatwood) you need.

A Christmas tree permit (limited to sand pines only) is $3 for a single tree, any size.
    Last edited by santaman2000; 24-10-2016 at 17:27. Reason: spelling/typo

ForInTek is a Forest Industry Technology organization jointly funded by the forestry companies in British Columbia.
    Heat values from woods: their research shows clearly that there's more heat released from burning conifer wood,
    based on weight, not size, than you get from any hardwoods. The resins in the wood are the source of the difference.

Lighting my wood pellet stove today, don't know this year's price per ton/2,000lbs. Was $250/ton last winter
    and I burned 4+. Maybe 15 x 40lb bags to start with still downstairs.

I burn SPF pellets (mix of spruce/pine/fir) which don't snap/crackle/pop as they are compressed sawdust.
    I have a forced air/oil-fired central furnace heating system in the house. The pellets are half that cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    ForInTek is a Forest Industry Technology organization jointly funded by the forestry companies in British Columbia.
    Heat values from woods: their research shows clearly that there's more heat released from burning conifer wood,
    based on weight, not size, than you get from any hardwoods. The resins in the wood are the source of the difference.

Lighting my wood pellet stove today, don't know this year's price per ton/2,000lbs. Was $250/ton last winter
    and I burned 4+. Maybe 15 x 40lb bags to start with still downstairs.

I burn SPF pellets (mix of spruce/pine/fir) which don't snap/crackle/pop as they are compressed sawdust.
    I have a forced air/oil-fired central furnace heating system in the house. The pellets are half that cost.
    It burns very quick though, twice as fast if not more, and ontop of feeding the thing constantly, you have to pay more for it. The hotest fire i ever had was a fresh cut sycamore, full of sugar. It smokes before if gets hot enough, but build a fire big enough with enough thermal mass and it burns very hot. I could have spit roasted a horse though, so its not very eficient.
    A man can do no sin with his own wife,
    Nor can he hurt himself with his own knife

I bought a dumpy bag of split hardwood for 65 two years ago.

Old thread. Winter is over, theoretically. Temps are 17C days, 3-4C nights.
    I burned 4.5 tons = 9,000lbs @ $235+ tax/ton. So about $250, like last year.
    House volume is 2 x 1,200 sqft and insulated to Canadian code standards.

No, SPF pellets don't burn quickly in a controlled fire smaller than a soup plate.
    The fire in any pellet stove is automatic feed and automatic firebox cleaning.
    The fire size is set by my control of the pellet feed rate.
    Fire speed is controlled by a constant exhaust blower which pulls cold air up through the fire box,
    in the manner of a blacksmith's forge.

There's a limit to that, about 500lbs or so and then I have to shut the stove down
    to clean fine brown ash, maybe the volume of a good loaf of bread.
    The point is to sustain the efficiency which is fouled by ash, like any other wood-burning appliance.

No, I'm paying less per ton that if I bought round wood, split.
    That's a total hand-feeding chore. There was split dried round wood advertised in the local paper,
    they were asking $200/cord. Maybe $150/cord I could believe but $200 is over the top.

near Oxford and Pyrenees-Oriental, France

65 per M3 delivered for mixed cut and split logs sized for wood burner. Larger quantities are cheaper per M3. They also do vented bags for those with storage problems. Excellent service from firm based in Whitney.

This thread could become more relevant for us UK OAPs given today's news. Wenceslas for patron saint of the elderly? Or does his european origin rule him out now?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Bought this house in 2000. It has the usual central heating furnace, fan and duct work which works very well. Runs on "furnace oil" which is quite similar to Diesel fuel.
    Natural gas is the most economical. But because of the high water table, we will never see that. Propane and electricity are far more expensive as well.
    Back in that day and time, we all could see oil prices rising and rising with no respite in sight.
    A little research showed that a pellet stove, the Harman PP38+ model, would heat my home and for about 2/3 the price of oil.
    So I did it. Spent $3,000.00 before I lit the first match. Slow, steady even heat, even the floors are warm, nearly silent.
    The ton of pellets is delivered to my front yard. Plenty of room in the downstairs kitchen for all of it.
    Thats a stack of 10 layers of 5 bags, about 6' x 6' x 6' .

I was right. The running cost savings of approx $1,000/yr recovered the capital cost of the pellet stove in the next 3 winters.
    In the next two winters after that, the savings paid for the entire capital cost of the back-up solar power system.
    That was a necessary evil with the weekly/daily power failures even in the -25C depths of winter.

Fast forward 12 years. The savings have assisted me in becoming completely debt-free.
    Except for the usual monthly charges for phone, sat TV & radia, etc, I owe nothing to anyone.