Alpkit
Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Open invitation arctic meet 2017

Default Open invitation arctic meet 2017

Im planning on going to Norway or Sweden Next year, on a cheap flight. Im looking to keep the costs as low as possible.

The cheapest flights Ive found are bardufoss, [but I'd probably prefer somewhere in Nordbotten, the most northern County of Sweden]

So maybe a flight to Kiruna.

Im putting feelers out to see if anyone is interested. This is a meet not a course. Sometime in January 2017

But there will be opportunities to build quinzies and set snare lines etc. If you want to do that. Hopefully some ice fishing.

I will have a hot tent, and I will be offering the use of that hot tent, to people who want to 'cold camp' to dry their socks, boot liners, gloves.

My plan is to mostly basecamp, and travel out from the base camp. Or just chill. [Pun intended]

I have some experience in the arctic, [arctic bushcraft course]. Although I'd reiterate this is a meet. Were people can share skills, learn new skills.
    Im not offering a course, and Im wont be held responsible for anyone who has an accident.
    Im just suggesting a meet of like minded people, as Id like some company.
    You will need to buy medical insurance, which is cheap enough at £55 including air ambulance with some companies.

You will need an arctic kit.

[As this is a meet and a private invitation and not a paid course it is not endorsed by Bushcraftuk and this website takes no responsibility for the meet.]

No booze. Would be good to meet some of our scandinavian members.
    Last edited by Dave; 20-03-2016 at 13:35.
    The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as civilisation, when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Cool...if you come to Norrbotten, send your position and I will drop by with some fika

Greger
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Great, be happy to meet you there
    The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as civilisation, when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement.

Tacitus. The Agricola

I'm up for it BUT, I have never done this before ( cold ) is this recommended ? how did you all gain your cold weather camping experience, did any of you 'just' jump in. I would have all the kit needed and would list it before buying to be scrutinised and take advice on alternatives.

So, the question is this, would a COLD newbie be up for it with the right kit ? I look forward to your input, both positive and negative, all taken on board.

Thanks.

Youre gonna get a lot of naysayers, people with business interests, whose livelihood depends on arctic bushcraft training, and people who firmly believe you should get proper training before you go out by yourself.
    I know I did that. So I cannot really argue with them.

[God] everything's so complicated these days. I'd like to just say, hey come on over, and I'll show you a few things, tell you if the ice is not trustworthy to walk on today, show you some basic axe techniques, [I dont even take a full size axe, and I can make basic furniture like a bench with a couple of wedges and my robin wood hatchet, or even a tomahawk. etc. In fact if its your first time, Id say dont take an axe unless youve been trained how to use one.] go over basics, like water collection, purification, discuss safety and hypothermia, fire lighting, etc.
    Remember my life might be in your hands, just as easily as the other way around. Now that immeadiately sounds like a course.
    Thats why Im suggesting a meet, NOT a course.

If enough people want a course, Im sure BushcraftUK may be able to organise one at excellent rates.

I personally think, if youve got a few people who've done it before, had some training, and are generous with their knowledge, plus a few others, who have attended some bushcraft courses, and are capable independent people, then we'd be alright.

But thats just me. You're gonna get 15 different people reading your questions, and get 15 different answers.

Primarily Im going for my own reasons, I wanna go out there, try out my new snowtrekker, and fourdogs stove, fish, snare game, track animals, some daytrekking, I love snowshoeing, if the ice is safe, route planned in advance, and by the time you've done the rest of your daily tasks, its bedtime. And meet other people, as it can get a bit boring by yourself if youre staying for a while. I also kinda prefer meeting locals, when i go somewhere else.

Maybe I should be putting some sort of disclaimer in to protect myself, we live in such litigious health and safety conscious times.[Sheesh!]

Anyone else with an opinion on this?
    Last edited by Dave; 21-03-2016 at 18:51.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Hi Dave and others.

I'm under no illusions that this is going to be a hard slog, as an Arctic newbie and an extreme cold newbie. If you think I could be a liability to myself and or the group then I'll bow out BUT, with the right equipment it must be do-able ?

So, what would be a good budget hot tent and stove combo ? any suggestions, not forgetting I'll be pulling a toboggan

EDIT: if this does go ahead I accept full responsibility for myself with no claim against anyone else.

Read up. Go. Don't be a hero. Bring fatty food.
    You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SGL70 View Post
    Read up. Go. Don't be a hero. Bring fatty food.
    I've been reading for 2 years since I last expressed an interest but life got in the way, fatty food, bring it on, and I'm no hero

Thanks for the positive vibe

Yeh, there you go, cool.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Blog Entries

Good on ya Dave ....if my knees wernt shot i would be all over this.
    " Its all about the wool !! "....

The first week of my trip in 2012 predated the Arctic course I did. It is doable but I did a lot of research first.

We're planning another trip to Jokkmokk in 2017 so I doubt if I'll be able to afford the time, especially if it is in term time.

Good luck with it but make sure you have a fall back plan in place.
    Wayland

_ _ _Wayland's World____________ Living a life less ordinary.

Great stuff, thanks for the encouraging words C and G.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Quote Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
    The first week of my trip in 2012 predated the Arctic course I did. It is doable but I did a lot of research first.

We're planning another trip to Jokkmokk in 2017 so I doubt if I'll be able to afford the time, especially if it is in term time.

Good luck with it but make sure you have a fall back plan in place.
    Any research in particular you could recommend ?

Lots of trip reports on here.
    Most of us Freezer fans put our kit lists up.
    Best.

Chris.

I think I should be able to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris the Cat View Post
    Lots of trip reports on here.
    Most of us Freezer fans put our kit lists up.
    Best.

Chris.
    Yeah I've been reading them for years lol, still reading them again, and again

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Yeah I've been reading them for years lol, still reading them again, and again
    Any questions, fire away buddy.
    It has been my good fortune to travel North in the winter with some great folk from this very forum.
    If BcUK ever put together a trip like the two a few of us got to go on again, do take advantage if you can.

Best.
    Chris.

I'd love to do this

need to know what would be best for an artic kit and everything, and likely be a bit fitter.

BUT sign me up for it!!
    “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr Seuss.

Any questions, fire away buddy.
    It has been my good fortune to travel North in the winter with some great folk from this very forum.
    If BcUK ever put together a trip like the two a few of us got to go on again, do take advantage if you can.

Best.
    Chris.
    Biggest thing on the list is hot tent and stove on a budget, I'm looking for something that would double up as a summer kit for me and SWMBO + the dog

I'd focus on how to keep dry, warm, fed and hydrated, and gather my knowledge and kit from that.
    Last edited by SGL70; 22-03-2016 at 14:57.

I'd focus on how to keep dry, warm, fed and hydrated, and gather my knowledge and kit from that.
    What SGL70 said...
    Plenty of hot tent stuff out ( and on here )
    I'm more a tarp/built arctic shelter and fire guy.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
    Any research in particular you could recommend ?
    Every book I could find on the subject.

The Snow Walkers Companion is a particularly good one if you can get it.
    Wayland

I 'think' I have the basics of that sorted, in theory at least

Thanks, I'll have a look for that as well as others.

Evening Gary!
    Also my favorite, but getting hard to find now alas,and pricey!
    Good chat on WinterTrekking.com, lots of good posts and articles and advice.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    That would be Great Ron.

Tacitus. The Agricola

Evening Gary!
    Also my favorite, but getting hard to find now alas,and pricey!
    Good chat on WinterTrekking.com, lots of good posts and articles and advice.

Chris.
    Nice link thanks, yeah the book is hard to get a hold of for cheap here, I have a friend going to the states soon so maybe she can pick a copy up there, if not I'll bite the bullet

They do a new print run every now and again which brings the price down but who knows when the next one will be.

Worth every penny though IMO.
    Wayland

Here you go Alan, Anyone who wants one, LOTN have them in stock, if you put it in the basket it charges you more than it should do. If you email Dave, and ask him to requote you for UK delivery, he'll lower the delivery price.

Also Calvin Rutstrums book, paradise below zero is an interesting read. But as Chris Says, Wintertrekking.com is probably your best online resource

Tacitus. The Agricola

Thanks Dave, if my friend can't bring me one back I will order it

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast