Alpkit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Hex Tarp

Superb; the conception, execution and sharing of this is one of the best things on the forum for ages, (and there's some good stuff here!)

Thanks a lot for all of this
    How do you make the Gods laugh?........................ ..Tell 'em your plans!

That's a great tarp, a very good job.

I am not young enough to know everything.
    Oscar Wilde

As already said it's a great design - I'll be attempting to make one in the near future with the measurements that you have so kindly posted up for every body to use.

I would have said that there is likely to be a decent market for this though.
    Gareth

Adversity has ever been considered the state in which a man most easily becomes acquainted with himself.

Many thanks - glad you like it!
    Here's a photo of the tarp with my "storm flap" in place. It is a still a work in progress as I might add velcro to the edges. There is 3mm shock cord going to the corner peg on the open side of the flap. This makes the covered area much bigger and probably fine for two people at a pinch

Cheers
    Phil

That must increase the floor space quite a bit, I was wondering if I put a double storm flap on it would be big enough for me and the boy, when needed and remove the storm flap when it was just me.

What's the fabric like? Any good for a more traditional tarp setup?

Disco - I'd say yes, two people with no problem if you doubled it up. As it is, if you haver a bivvy bag to cover the feet of the second person then you'll be fine

Jack - the material is very nice, strong without being too heavy. It would make a perfect traditional tarp!

Way to go!

That is seriously impressive!! The missus has just got a sewing machine and this looks just the ticket!!! Probably the best project I have seen on BCUK - top effort!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Mind is like a parachute...it only functions when its open...

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    Many thanks - glad you like it!
    Here's a photo of the tarp with my "storm flap" in place. It is a still a work in progress as I might add velcro to the edges. There is 3mm shock cord going to the corner peg on the open side of the flap. This makes the covered area much bigger and probably fine for two people at a pinch

Cheers
    Phil
    I must commend you on a very well thought out design and execution
    Gareth

Adversity has ever been considered the state in which a man most easily becomes acquainted with himself.

This is really cool.

I do have an admission to make. I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at the diagram and your photos and I just couldn't get it.

Then I realised that you need a piece like your diagram and it's mirror image to make the finished article. It was so obvious and I felt so stupid.

Thanks Gents!
    Yes, the dimensioned drawing shows half a tarp - glad you clicked! If you can get two pieces then you need just one seam to complete the tarp. You can make it from six separate pieces but you then have much more sewing to do and more opportunities to make a mistake - anything that increases the chance of a good result is a winner in my book. You also have less seam sealing to do to guarantee it drip proof
    Cheers
    Phil

Exceptionally clever. It's not often that a completely new design emerges in a saturated market. You should be very proud of yourself and strongly consider patenting your design before someone else does.
    --------

I think I may be invisible. At least around here.

Hi Phil,

Im trying to work out the storm flap. Am i right in thinking its pinned down at two points on the back right, comes over the top and pins down at on point on the front left?

Ebt - it's pegged out on the right corner and at the front of pic. Where it folds over the guy line at the top edge I have another point where I have attached it to the top of the pole with a carabina and a short piece of paracord. Then the open side of the flap has 3mm shock cord attached to the end, pinned out on the peg on the left of the entrance. I found the storm flap to be a tough one to figure out as you can fold a piece of material up so it fits but when you start to tension it the shape needs to change a little. Experimentation is definitely recommended and some offcuts of polythene mean you can have a few attempts to get it right before you start with your precious material
    In all honesty I don't think the storm flap is going to be essential - I designed it so that you have 800mm of width behind the pole to lie down in (which is plenty wide). That gives you 1 meter of cover from the pole to the front edges of the tarp. If you set up with your back to the wind you will be dry if the wind changes direction by 90 degrees - if the wind completely changes directions and blows into the front of the tarp there still a lot of overhang to keep you dry. I considered bringing the "beak" of the entrance down lower but it is a trade off between easily getting in and out and the amount of protection you want. I like to see about a bit when I'm lying down - I'm used to having a regular tarp above me. But this design gives you a lot of cover while still giving you a good view I didn't particularly want it to become a "tent".
    Hope this makes sense,
    Phil

Thanks, makes total sense

Now I just need to find a source of wide sil-nylon....think my last lot was from germany!

Last edited by widu13; 24-03-2015 at 22:49.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    <deleted>
    Jack - the material is very nice, strong without being too heavy. It would make a perfect traditional tarp!
    I now have the material and am quite pleased with it. I'll be making the tarps soon and will record my attempts in a thread (after I have made the camo smocks for the kids Clicky).

Excellent - it's a little heavier than silnylon which makes it a pleasure to sew in comparison.
    Cheers
    Phil

great job mate well done!

regards,

s

Lovely project. With a great result.

For those of us that are challenged in the sewing machine department! 150 from a UK company.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co....-shelter-p3327
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12