Alpkit

Thread: Interesting kickstarter.

Default Interesting kickstarter.

Saw this come up on kickstarter earlier, thought it may be of interest to some of you:

Hunter, Gather, Cook Tree house

Thanks

J

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy little world

interesting I'll watch it properly tomorrow when not at work....

but please don't use the blade use the back to strike a spark stick
    Only the Wilderness is pure truth

If it ain't Raining then it ain't Training!

You can give him a load of money and they'll write your name on a tree... doesn't seem the best value to me, perhaps he's trying to recoup money after the miserable sales of his mediocre book

anything to do with hunter gathering and 'pimping' things doesnt sound right to me............

Blog Entries

I'm going to start one, I need a new garage. I'll write your name on the door in a permanent marker and name one of my tools after you.

For 10 you get to be a spanner.
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
    William Blake

if i gave you 10 id already be a spanner

Interesting, not entirely sure those were the reactions I was expecting to get voiced. Each unto their own I suppose.

The point of the kickstarter is a guy trying to make a business from the woods, in an environment where traditional funding options are perhaps not ideal.

That said, yes I do agree with the thing about using the spine of the knife.

J

He's already got a business, teaching foraging/cooking courses

Kickstarter is typically used to get funding for product development, with the understanding that once the product is completed you will actually get it. This seems more like a charity drive, with a person asking you to donate money for a good cause, or in this case, to further his own business. To be honest, I don't even see this as a good cause. I would understand if he was trying to get funding to preserve a certain wilderness area, or to plant trees, etc. It seems however that he just wants a cool tree house where his paying students can have parties.

I also get very annoyed with wild food workshops that let you gather enough food for a salad, and then declare that you are now living off the land. I don't know this guy in particular, but that is the vibe I am getting.

If he was building a structure that was useable by the general (non paying) public I'd have less of a problem with it.

Also given the funding period is open for 34 days, and that kickstarter, I believe, takes two weeks to release the funds... the May 1st completion date seems unlikely.

".... fully functioning off-grid, wood fired kitchen..."

Give me strength . . .

Blog Entries

It looks like an interesting project but I can think of more worthy places to give away my money.
    It comes across like he wants the money for ... almost nothing! My name on a tree? - I have a knife and know how to carve into wood (also how to and how not to use it with a spark stick!).
    It is not something I would invest in....
    It IS the kind of project I could see myself emulating but doing in my spare time ... over a long period of time
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

So the spaming of kickstarter has started then....

So let me get this right.

We all pay him to fulfil his life's ambition?

Crikey, I never realised Kickstarter did that. I've got masses of things on my bucket list and very little cash to do it. Maybe people will pay me to do my bucket list.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demographic View Post
    So let me get this right.

We all pay him to fulfil his life's ambition?

Crikey, I never realised Kickstarter did that. I've got masses of things on my bucket list and very little cash to do it. Maybe people will pay me to do my bucket list.
    Only if you paint their name on the bucket!
    Love makes the World go round......Lust makes it all go pear-shaped...

i think this venture is called "taking the p***s and preying on people,s gullibility and generous nature" its pretty bloody insulting,
    please say nobody has given them anything!?
    Might start one up as hitting 40 this year im getting itchy feet, and the realisation is dawning on me that my back packing days might be coming to an end
    and being a bit skint, i need you guys to fund a year travelling round Asia, ill send you photos and reports! also ill take a marker and scrawl your name in every bar
    toilet i stumble into! like this guy says "come on the journey with me! feel part of it!"
    Still more worthy than building this muppet his tree house cocktail bar.
    Last edited by dump of the stig; 12-03-2014 at 06:26.

Personally, I'd hate to have my name on a tree: the tree will not benefit in any way from having anyone's name on it, let alone mine.

I backed a Kickstarter project in the States and got a really useful alternative to the Kelly kettle for my trouble. This one strikes me as something of a rip off. "I'm out."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiley View Post
    I backed a Kickstarter project in the States and got a really useful alternative to the Kelly kettle for my trouble. This one strikes me as something of a rip off. "I'm out."
    and the review is where ?

Also I'm buying a ferarri, you can back the project at......
    A man can do no sin with his own wife,
    Nor can he hurt himself with his own knife

Quote Originally Posted by petrochemicals View Post
    and the review is where ?

Also I'm buying a ferarri, you can back the project at......
    Review? Of what, specifically? The Kelly alternative? It works just like a Kelly kettle but is a size that is very easily and viably transported in a rucksack. Since this style of kettle is well known to a lot of people, there didn't seem to be much point in reviewing it. I liked the look of the product, liked what its developer was trying to do and backed it. I don't know what has happened to Boilerwerks since but it would be a shame if it has gone under.

I wouldn't bother with a Ferrari: the insurance is monstrously high, they're useless off road and the boot space can only hold enough for a dirty weekend...

Cripes - I've never seen such uncharitable comments - a lot of otherwise nice people, spouting off! If its not your cup of tea, feel free not to invest or support. People give money to much less wholesome endeavours! But be nice.

Makes me a bit embarrassed to be part of this community, given its been called out on his blog.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-09-2014 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscor View Post
    cripes - i've never seen such uncharitable comments - a lot of otherwise nice people, spouting off! If its not your cup of tea, feel free not to invest or support. People give money to much less wholesome endeavours! But be nice.

Makes me a bit embarrassed to be part of this community, given its been called out on his blog.

oooo missus !
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-09-2014 at 13:55.
    Don't try to bluff a donk on the river !
    (A WISE MAN (NOT) ME !
    cos the Russian's will play ANY 2 CARD'S !

Way to dig up an old thread just to complain about it !

Quote Originally Posted by British Red View Post
    Way to dig up an old thread just to complain about it !
    I know I have regrets

Looking at the whole thing, I can't see how this cost 5k?!

Reclaimed wood from a timber yard at max is no more than 1000 for him, maybe 100 fire bricks and clay to build an oven and grill base, so thats possibly another 300 or so. The nuts and bolts possibly another 100.

So where does the rest go?!

So you posted your advert, sorry, I mean blog, in this thread to show us the link you'd inserted back to this thread?

Pity really, you could have taken the opportunity to address a few of peoples' questions instead of spamming.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe

Its not mine mate, just a blog I happen to follow. I have a much less exciting job that allows me to be sitting at a computer at 11:06am commenting on this thread which I regret resurrecting... ah well

Quote Originally Posted by Tuscor View Post
    Its not mine mate, just a blog I happen to follow. I have a much less exciting job that allows me to be sitting at a computer at 11:06am commenting on this thread which I regret resurrecting... ah well
    Ah ok, misunderstood you. It seemed like it was your project and blog and you were just posting sour grapes.

I didn't really have an opinion on the project so I didn't comment. But it's a discussion forum so people should be free to express their views.
    "Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately" Tim Krabbe