Alpkit

Thread: On Death Cap Spreading and Poisoning Treatment

Default On Death Cap Spreading and Poisoning Treatment

Not sure wether to post this in the food section or here. Found an interesting story on Slate, particularly the treatment of its somewhat nasty side-effects

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/02/most_dangerous_mushroom_death_ cap_is_spreading_but_poisoning _can_be_treated.html

Enjoy,
    -Emile

Very interesting article - thanks for this.
    How do you make the Gods laugh?........................ ..Tell 'em your plans!

Now that was an interesting article

Thank you for the link

Might be worth seeing if we can figure out how to store such articles on the site.

atb,
    M
    I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over !

Become a Full Member and help support the site.
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/payments.php

Great article find. I was of the understanding that the usual treatment was large amounts of Antibiotics which may help? If this compound works in larger trials it will be a triumph of medical research!

That is an interesting article. Death caps arent that common. I can count my own sightings on one hand. Merthyr mawr has them growing with conifers on the dune edge. All my other sightings are with oak woods.

It is an interesting article for sure. Deathcaps have another deathly poison in them than amatoxins alone though. Phalloidin, that was named after them, binds and freezes the actin cytoskeleton, effectively freezing the cell and killing it. Even if the effect of amatoxins can be countered with this treatment (which is fantastic) I wonder what the damage by phalloidin is after ingesting one.
    My spoons and sharps blog: www.axectly.blogspot.com

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
    Suffolk Group on BushcraftUK & Facebook

I can't see the link??
    "squirrels noses, otters spleens, sparrows wings get them while their hot there lovely."

milk thistle has been used for hundreds of years as a liver protector, especially on the continent. I used to take it regularly myself until I was made unemployed and unfortunately cannot now afford it !

cheers Andrew.
    Don't try to bluff a donk on the river !
    (A WISE MAN (NOT) ME !
    cos the Russian's will play ANY 2 CARD'S !

brilliant article, now I know just how effective milk thistle can be as an antidote, I'd never have guessed that before.

Blog Entries

Great article. Very good find.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by northumbrian View Post
    milk thistle has been used for hundreds of years as a liver protector, especially on the continent. I used to take it regularly myself until I was made unemployed and unfortunately cannot now afford it !

cheers Andrew.
    I always thought the properties of milk thistle weren't very medically proven, and more it sort of made you feel better, in the way herbal tonics do. Sort of like tumeric cleans the blood or nettle is an afrodisac. Looking up on google scholar , milk thistle speeds up liver repair and changes how the liver membranes work so they get less damage. Good stuff. I am not suprised it works on death cap poisoning, now reading up on it.