Alpkit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarps, are yours pre-rigged with guylines or not?

Default Tarps, are yours pre-rigged with guylines or not?

Do you leave guy lines on your tarps or do you add the lines as needed? Do you use guy line runners to tension them or do you rely on knots?
    'Queen Victoria, very nice man'.

Simple loops on the end with overhand knots. Then larks footed through the eyes depending on how I want to pitch the tarp for the time.

Saves tangles, takes a few more seconds.
    The one and only "BUCKAROO!"

Always tied and using tensioners from Helsport. I do know the knots if need be though. I've just gotten into using tarps so only time will tell if it stays that way but I prefer it at the moment.

I use several tarps, so have a dry bag with accessories in.

It contains,

ridge lines x2 - 1 goes under the tarp as an accessory hanger.
    guy lines
    tent pegs
    prussic loops

Ridge lines are attached to the tarp using mini crabs, with a prussic loop on the outer ones to keep it taut.

Guy lines have a loop of shock cord on the end, so self tension, then a mini crab to attach to the tarp.

I use sliding knots to adjust the guy line tension, not adjusters.

Simon
    Owner & Chief Instructor at Wood-Sage Outdoor Education

I have my tarps pre-rigged and use knots to tension the guy lines, it seems to work well for me.

Louis

Hi there
    Yep tarp ready rigged. Ridge line tensioned with prussik loops, and 4 guys, one in each corner that I just tension using an adjustable sliding knot.
    I've tried several ways and this is the quickest to put up and when it comes to packing away I do it Ray Mears style, using the ridge line to bind the tarp and thus make it more compact. My tarp and hammock fit nicel into a PLCE pocket on my pack.
    cheers
    Gareth

All pre rig for me, I only use knots as I do enjoy tying them

Until now mine were pre rigged and I just used knots. I just got lots of dutchware bits though and will have lines etc off my tarps and not use knots... No idea if I will like it yet though.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

http://josephburge.tumblr.com

I leave the guy lines on. I just roll them up. It can be a bit of faff but oh well. I use a bowline to tie them to the tarp.
    Some people call it Dirt- I like to call it seasoning

Hanking lines up well can be a massive time saver.

i always make a figure 8 around my pinkie finger and thumb and pull a loop through and over the top of the pinkie finger eye. The figure 8 means it never snags.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

http://josephburge.tumblr.com

Yep tarp ready rigged. Ridge line tensioned with prussik loops, and 4 guys, one in each corner that I just tension using an adjustable sliding knot.
    I've tried several ways and this is the quickest to put up and when it comes to packing away I do it Ray Mears style, using the ridge line to bind the tarp and thus make it more compact
    Hanking lines up well can be a massive time saver.

i always make a figure 8 around my pinkie finger and thumb and pull a loop through and over the top of the pinkie finger eye. The figure 8 means it never snags.
    Plus 1.....
    Its 6 oclock, the dogs in yer room, its pay day,GET UP!!

my dad 1978

After several years trying all sorts of ways. I settled on my set up at the beginning of last year and used it all through the year and it suits me well. Figure of 9's on each corner. Guylines attached to lightweight stakes with a small carabiniers. Ridgeline has a carabinier one end and a figure of 9 the other.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski View Post
    Simple loops on the end with overhand knots. Then larks footed through the eyes depending on how I want to pitch the tarp for the time.

Saves tangles, takes a few more seconds.
    That's what I do as well as it's also dependent on what tarp I'm using as well
    Man of Tanith...
    I am allergic to..... veet for men, duct tape,handcuffs,hair dye,razors and
    all such things that can do unpleasant things to me

My usual thing ...

2 of about 5m & 2 about 3m.
    Last edited by bilmo-p5; 13-01-2013 at 12:19.

My tarp's all have their own pre-rigged outer ridge line, and an inner ridge line, they all have the four corners with normal line and runners, as these break I replace with a rig made from paracord with cam cleats, which i keep a couple pre-made, in my response pack, any other additional lines i add and take off as I need.

I secure them to the loops with Larks heads
    One Life Live it..

FioFO - Suffolk Bushcraft Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/643121152397217/

Ive had a few tarps, some with line locs/guy runners I leave on, to use with trekking poles, and others without. Actually on the attachment points of the tarp, I have small 2mm dyneema loops, in a simple overhand knot, so I can take extra line with me, and just do a simple loop to loop connection. Normally with 4m guys. I use a selection of hitches, I prefer a simple truckers hitch, for a ridgeline, [10m] where you can double or triple the mechanical advantage, with some smaller diametre dyneema, attached permanatly via prussiks. Again use a slippery hitch, or a tautline hitch to attach to the pegs/trees. Hank the line in a figure 8 round thumb and little finger when packed away.

I also carry a selection of different cords and line in a stuff sack. So i have cheaper 'throwaway' stuff with me, for tieing logs together, for instance, using a simple butchers knot or arbor knot.
    Last edited by Dave; 13-01-2013 at 10:59.
    The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as civilisation, when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement.

Tacitus. The Agricola

I keep all my guys and bits in a ditty bag. Mainly due to the fact I never know how Ill pitch it till i get to a site. I hardly use a ridge line nowadays as I tend to use my hiking poles and pitch tent style!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemmingway

Each attachment point eye has 5m+ of paracord on and rolled up with guy lines too.

Much easier if it's raining when you want to setup somewhere.

Mine are permanently attached, I sometimes use hardware and sometimes just knots, it depends which tarp I'm using.
    Rich

www.trek-lite.com - New Lightweight Backpacking Forum

Heading North - my trip blog

I have mini-karibiners on prussic loops attached to my ridgeline, then I can attach my tarp in any configuration I want. Plus a 4m paracord guy on each corner of the tarp.
    "Go light; the lighter the better, so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment" - Nessmuk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagedude View Post
    Do you leave guy lines on your tarps or do you add the lines as needed? Do you use guy line runners to tension them or do you rely on knots?
    Knots for tensioning, mini karabiners for attachment to the tarp, these are hanked and stored in a ditty bag for travel. If the wind is up when I'm putting up a tarp I find that permanently attached cords will unravel and tangle while the tarp is flapping around during set up, karabiners just make things a little faster and easier.
    “…my shoes are the hard soles of my feet, my bed is the earth, my food is only seasoned by hunger…”

Anacharsis

Got a pic of mine today

EDIT: I completely failed to read the the title properly . Yes I leave my guys on the loops with lark's heads, hank them up when I pack away.

Last edited by copper_head; 13-01-2013 at 17:25.
    "Go light; the lighter the better, so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment" - Nessmuk

I been using this idea specially on my poncho. "Buckle loop" Works well for me, allows for easy removal of the lines and the three turn adjustable hitch to stay on the line for quick setup and adjustment.

Also useful if you want to use other eyelets on a tarp that don't already have cord inplace but also remove them quickly to save the tangles. I tend to just stuff my tarp in a pouch on my ruck, can't be asked to fold it all up as the thing is soo big.

Obviously a carabiner does the same job but if you already have some line lying around its easy to knock up 4 or 6 for very little £££. I just remove lines as needed, hank and stash in a small bag. you can also keep a couple of longer lines for when they just don't reach where you want and quickly swap them.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98368
    Regards,

Lostplanet

" Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought. " Albert Szent-Györgyi

All my stakes are captive on the guy lines so the stakes can't get lost.

When I used Clamcleats on the guys, they used to tangle in the wind if attached to the tarp. If the lines have no knots or hardwear on them, they will not tangle with decent line and I would keep them attached.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Pete.

i use a prussuc on a bit of amsteel, tied from loop eather dise of tarp and onto my tree huggers. very simple and lightweight
    your not a scout unless you can makea cup of tea up a tree

My current set up, Pre-rigged

5mm shock-cord tarp tensioners and mitten clips (seem strong enough so far)

fixed eyes on the lines, larks footed onto the tarp rings.

ooooooooo.jpg

I have a loop tied in my guy-line, then larks headed around the D ring, at the other end, I use a marlin spike hitch straight to the peg.

To keep my guy-lines tidy, i have a thin pice of shock cord, with a line lock. When the line is hanked up, i just pass it through the shock cord loop and cinch it up.

The pics probably explain it better:

James

I go to the woods, not to run away from life, but to connect with it.

I think that the reason people have tarps set up with lines attached to allow for a quick set-up in poor weather. I have tried all sorts of ways of fixing these lines but end up coming back to fixing them with a slippery-sheet-bend. I like to be able to remove the lines easily if they are soaking wet and then I can set them on a radiator to dry out at home. I have tried fitting these lines with toggles but they don't always stay put on the tarp when it is packed-away or when the corners are flapping about in the wind before they are pegged out. I have tried using cam-cleats on these lines for adjustment which is great for pegs but no good for guying out onto trees/branches and as others have mentioned the lines are prone to tangle. I've tried having the cam-cleat (or guy runner) at the tarp end but then it's a faff to get them off the tarp when they are wet unless I fit a mini- carabiner between the loop and the tarp. In the end it all seems too much faff and I go back to plain lines and knots.

I do use some small toggles on my ridge-line prusik loops, just as secure (so far) as mini-carabiners but they don't get rusty. The point of an easily removed ridge-line is to allow the tarp to be quickly rigged in a different way and I like to keep this flexibility so I don't like to tie the prusik loops permanently between the ridge-line and the tarp.

At the moment I'm using some paracord with a reflective thread running through the mantle for the guys, it makes it easy to see the guys by torchlight which is a bit safer than using the standard sort.

This has turned into a bit of a ramble, so to get back to the question; yes I do keep the lines fixed to the tarp. But I'm still not convinced that I've found the ultimate set-up, and always come back to the most simple set-up I can.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

I have a Hennessy Hex tarp, which came with attached ridge and guy lines. The guy lines can be figure eighted and tied off then tucked into pouches sewn into the corners of the tarp - very neat and convenient. Same for the ridge lines. I also keep the whole thing in a snake skin, so set up (and take down) is quick and painless.

Always pre-rigged and I use knots as they are easy to tie and totally reliable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast