Alpkit
  • Casstrom: New Style No 10 Swedish Forest Knife with Combo Sheath and Fire Steel

REVIEW
    By John Fenna

Although the Casstrom Swedish Forest Knife is available in different sizes, steels, grinds, handle materials and sheaths, when I saw the 10cm “No 10” version in 4mm O2 steel with Curly Birch scales in a Cognac veg tan leather sheath that also held a matching fire steel, I kind of fell in love!
    Luckily it also performs well in the woods!

The 12cm long handle stands out with its shape – more ergonomic than most I have used - and with its contours and rounded corners proves very comfortable and secure in a wide variety of grips and usage, while the oiled Curly Birch, black liners over the full tang, 3 brass rivets and brass lanyard tube, make it look superb.

The 10cm drop point blade is 4mm thick Bohler K720 (O2) high carbon steel hardened to 58-60 HRC with a flat Scandi grind, while the back edge corners are sharp enough to produce showers of sparks from the fire steel with minimal effort.

I did, once, manage to slightly roll the edge – batoning through tough seasoned hardwood - but generally the edge stayed keen and proved durable as well as easy to sharpen. Most days the knife only needed a quick stropping to bring it back to shaving sharp.

The sheath is made from Cognac coloured 3mm veg tan leather with a welted sewn edge and has a rivet at the top of the strong stitching. The wide belt loop is twin riveted and there is an eyelet at the tip of the sheath.

The knife is held in the sheath with friction and is very secure, while the “army” style (95mm x 6cm) fire steel has not only a lovely Curly Birch handle, but an elastic safety loop (in a matching brown) to secure the fire steel in its loop once it starts to wear down beyond the point that friction will hold it in place.

A very practical, functional, comfortable and – to my eye at least – beautiful knife, the No 10 is a great “all rounder” in the woods, doing everything from food prep, through spoon carving, firewood prep to trimming out hazel poles to be made into walking sticks.

Hailing from Swedish Lapland, the Casstrom No 10 Swedish Forest Knife in carbon steel and Curly Birch with the combo sheath with fire steel is designed to perform – and suceeds!

This knife is available in various handle choices, but in Curly Birch costs £130.00.

For more info visit www.casstrom.co.uk
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Comments 15 Comments
      NutMeg -
      Hi John - we sell these in the gun shop and although it's a good price, I find the handle shape very uncomfortable. I know I'm in the minority as a few have been sold, so it's a very personal thing. Kind regards, Eddie.
      Janne -
      Nobody has been able to answer this: where are they made?
      SGL70 -
      Nice looking knife (the sheath, not so much)

The company is situated in Lycksele, Sweden but that doesn't equates to that they are made in Sweden
      Janne -
      They look very nice. I doubt they could be that nice, that price point if Made in Svedala.

I am now almost due West from you, SGL!

Collected my new water craft today and drove it to Reine. Fishing time tomorrow!
      grumit -
      Got one in post today first impression is good sheath is fuctional but a good bushcraft pouch style would be better handle feels good I got big paws and seems to fit fine won't be good at every cutting style will remain to be seen I like it will give it a try out onweekend
      redneck -
      Ordered a Casstrom knife once, when it arrived it looked like it had been used to chop nails.. it was practically serrated!! Sent it back and have avoided them ever since..
      SGL70 -
      They are made in Spain, according to the company.

Greger
      Janne -
      From Sandviken steel?
      SGL70 -
      I don't have the foggiest, Janne.
      Caught any fish, btw?
      Janne -
      One very large cod ( large for summer) 2 smaller ones ( notmsl summer size) and more mackerel than I can count.
      Caught between wife and me.
      First day of fishing today!

Note: all fish, dprcially cod, healthy. No rxternal parasites. Large cod a few parasites on liver.
      Klenchblaize -
      Someone must have put a great deal of effort into making the handle profile look so god damn awful!

Hopefully its with ergonomics to the fore rather than simply finding an alternative presentation of what is now a very 'tired' and frankly unimaginative blade profile and grind.

K
      Corso -
      Their woodsman looks a far better design

http://www.casstrom.co.uk/epages/Cas...Products/10809
      SGL70 -
      tired and unimaginative...hmm...not very function-based properties, that....but to each, his own
      Corso -
      as opposed to uncomfortable and limited.....each to their own indeed

look good in a draw though....
      Janne -
      So this knife is what we in the watch collecting world call a 'Private label'.

You choose the specs (design and materials), somebody manufactures it ( in best case, in worst case subcontracts it to China) and you sell it with a bit of fluffy advertising.

Casström should remove the 'Swedish' from the name on the models where nothing is Swedish. Some are made from Sandviken steel.