Alpkit
  • Snugpak: 40L Dri-Sak with Air Valve

REVIEW
    By John Fenna

A new addition to the Snugpak Range for 2017 is a 40L Dri-Sak with an air valve.

A dry bag is an invaluable liner to any rucksack, helping keep kit not only waterproof in the worst conditions, but also organised and tidy. Dry bags also make excellent flotation aids. The drawback with many dry bags is the difficulty of purging the air from inside while packing kit, resulting in the load being bulkier than may be ideal.

Adding an air valve to the front of a dry bag is an easy way of purging excess air and making the load more compact.

The new SnugPak 40l Dri-Sak has just such a valve and it has proved very useful. Simply load kit into the Dri-Sak with the valve open and squeeze out as much air as possible. Close the top of the Dri-Sak and roll the top down at least 3 times before clipping the buckles together to form a seal. More air can then be squeezed out through the valve but to stop the contents blocking the valve you may need to insert a finger to hold the valve open. Once you have all the air out, close the valve and you are good to go.

In the photo I packed a down sleeping bag into the drysack and compressed it to a very small package. The Dri-sak stayed compressed for over a week, letting no air in proving the seal is good!

The Snugpak 40l Dri-Sak with air valve measures some 74cm tall with an ovoid base approx 40cm x 21cm and is made from tough 70D nylon with a PU proofing film. The bag's seams are tape sealed and the flat profile valve is welded in place, while the roll top is stiffened and protected with webbing, closing with a quality quick-release buckle. The whole thing weighs around 200g.

At the moment the SnugPak 40l Dri-Sak with air valve comes in Olive only and retails at around19.95

With care, these dry bags should give years of service, keeping your kit dry and secure.

For more information visit www.snugpak.co.uk
    SaveSave
    Comments 11 Comments
      dean4442 -
      They look really good, why didn't they have them when I was still in the reserves? Cheers for the review although my bank balance won't be happy.
      Hubs -
      Hi,
      Want to purchase, but cannot find anywhere that stocks this item. No even on the Snugpak website.
      Does anyone know where they sell them?
      Regards hubs
      Laurentius -
      It is a wonder nobody has come up with this before, I find drysacks very good for compressing stuff and keeping it dry, but as you say, you trap the air. I reckon I am going to get one of these.
      Leshy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
      Hi,
      Want to purchase, but cannot find anywhere that stocks this item. No even on the Snugpak website.
      Does anyone know where they sell them?
      Regards hubs

I don't know if there are any 40L snugpak dry-sak's out there yet , but survivalaids seem to have the XXL size (35L) for a reasonable price...
      No air valve mentioned though...

http://www.survivalaids.com/combat-a...ak-olive-green

Hope it helps 👍
      John Fenna -
      I am looking into availability!
      John Fenna -
      It is now up on their website
      I get the very latest gear to review and they had not had time to update the site
      Leshy -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Fenna View Post
      It is now up on their website
      I get the very latest gear to review and they had not had time to update the site
      Yay , thank you John! 👍
      Klenchblaize -
      Quote Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
      I find drysacks very good for compressing stuff and keeping it dry, but as you say, you trap the air.
      The plus side to this is the greater 'structure' they provide when used inside a traditional pack such as Frost River/Bison Bushcraft etc. Stops these retro must-have bits of kit looking like an old mail sack with straps!

K
      Teenwolf -
      can this be used to pump up a thermarest?
      John Fenna -
      Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
      can this be used to pump up a thermarest?
      Not something I have tried....yet!
      forestwalker -
      Alternative use: I have the snozzle bag for my syn-mat, and got a spec of dust on my camera sensor when changing lenses. I successfully used the snozzle bag to blow the dust away...