Alpkit
  • An an iron fish to help with anemia

Having experienced serious anaemia where I needed 6 units of blood and a little while in hospital I think this is great in it's simplicity and ultimately in it's importance considering how many people in the world suffer from this condition.

I've often thought to myself that if everything went pear shaped there would be no tablets etc prescribed by the doctors, people would have to start sort themselves out, so I've always figured that I would get hold of some cast iron and from somewhere and cook with it or scrape it to see if it would release some digestible iron, I've no idea if this is a practical approach but getting one of these iron fish might be, I'd imagine it will last for year and years...

Christopher Charles, PhD - Inventor of the Lucky Iron Fish

M.D. Candidate, McMaster University, Canada and V.P. Global Health, Canadian Federation of Medical Students

Lump of iron

Dr Charles had a novel idea. Inspired by previous research which showed that cooking in cast iron pots increased the iron content of food, he decided to put a lump of iron into the cooking pot, made from melted-down metal.

His invention, shaped like a fish, which is a symbol of luck in Cambodian culture, was designed to release iron at the right concentration to provide the nutrients that so many women and children in the country were lacking.
    The recipe is simple, Dr Charles says.

"Boil up water or soup with the iron fish for at least 10 minutes.
    "That enhances the iron which leaches from it.

"You can then take it out. Now add a little lemon juice which is important for the absorption of the iron."

If the iron fish is used every day in the correct way, Dr Charles says it should provide 75% of an adult's daily recommended intake of iron - and even more of a child's.

Trials on several hundred villagers in one province in Cambodia showed that nearly half of those who took part were no longer anaemic after 12 months.

You can read about the Iron Fish here on the main luck Iron Fish website
    and here On the BBC

The article's on the BBC
    Comments 12 Comments
      santaman2000 -
      British Red already has a thread about this.
      Toddy -
      We know. It's been turned into an article. That's what this thread was to indicate.

atb,
      M
      santaman2000 -
      Ahh. My apologies.
      Toddy -
      No, it's a fair comment. Just that as an article it becomes something we remember

M
      Mike313 -
      Very interesting article. Years ago I got rid of our aluminium pots & pan due to articles I read about the alleged links between aluminium intake and Alzheimers. I replaced them with stainless steel. In recent years we have bought three heavy cast iron pans. Hence my question - the benefits of cooking with the iron fish - I wonder if the same benefits apply if you cook in ironware?
      Geebe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike313 View Post
      Very interesting article. Years ago I got rid of our aluminium pots & pan due to articles I read about the alleged links between aluminium intake and Alzheimers. I replaced them with stainless steel. In recent years we have bought three heavy cast iron pans. Hence my question - the benefits of cooking with the iron fish - I wonder if the same benefits apply if you cook in ironware?
      "Dr Charles had a novel idea. Inspired by previous research which showed that cooking in cast iron pots increased the iron content of food, he decided to put a lump of iron into the cooking pot, made from melted-down metal."
      kawasemi -
      That is excellent...and I just knew that Bushcraft was good for me

Thanks for bringing it to the fore again.

K
      Mike313 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Geebe View Post
      "Dr Charles had a novel idea. Inspired by previous research which showed that cooking in cast iron pots increased the iron content of food, he decided to put a lump of iron into the cooking pot, made from melted-down metal."
      Oops! Missed that bit!
      Braidsta -
      Bought one of these for my pasty sister! I'll share any observations she has.
      8 weeks delivery, worked out about 18.
      trade axe -
      Cool, I'm taking Mcmaster classes right now, what a coincidence. And thanks for an interesting thread regardless O.P.
      Braidsta -
      Back to drop off some feedback, the iron fish has been used extensively in cooking and my sis hasn't had the symptoms she has lived with for a long time, she has been able to reduce her iron meds from the doctor since using it. No scientific studies or anything, just our observations. Good stuff.
      Robson Valley -
      Good news. For the most part, cooking in cast iron doesn't seem trendy. Cared for, seasoned iron pans are non-stick.
      Last night, veggies in one wok and cinnamon pork in another wok. Lots of scraping = lots of iron. Hot water rinse.

However, the Iron Fish seems an excellent source for an essential nutrient.