Alpkit
  • Great use of Technology to find missing walkers

I'm a little disenchanted with all the technology that's pushed on us every minute of every day, part of me longs for the good old days before smart phones, computers etc where man pitted himself against the wilderness with way less than we have today.

But when it comes to a great use of technology that saves time, stress and possibly lives it's a great thing to have as a couple of walkers discovered in the mountains above Abergavenny very recently.

As bushcrafters and outdoors people we should always be aware of where we are and how to stay safe while out and about, we aim to be out overnight in wild areas and to have adventures, let's just make them safe and appropriately equipped ones.

'The couple were located by Longtown Mountain Rescue Team using the Sarloc system on the mountains above Abergavenny.

The walkers were rescued within an hour of raising the alarm, saving a protracted search in the dark.

The couple, from the Vale of Glamorgan, had been out walking in the mountains near the Grwyne Fawr Reservoir when they became lost as darkness fell.

The pair, in their 60s, dialled 999 and Dyfed Powys Police called out the Abergavenny-based mountain rescue team.

Neil Hughes, deputy team leader of Longtown MRT, said: “We were called out at around 8.15pm.

“The couple was well equipped and both experienced walkers. But they had forgotten to pack a torch. As darkness fell they were walking through dense forestry, in the pitch black they became disorientated and raised the alarm.

“We were able to use a system called Sarloc, developed by a former mountain rescue team member.'

You can read more about the software and their rescue HERE
    Comments 1 Comment
      Bonzo Frog -
      It's a great system and I have a number of friends in MR in the Lake District where it's been used successfully a number of times. At last a useful reason to have a smart phone (as long as the battery doesn't run out

Dave