Alpkit
  • Ojibway bird trap

I had a go at making one of these with stuff I had lying about.

Of course this is for fun only as traps are illegal.

I used a few modern pieces of kit for convenience and illustration purposes.

The mechanism is simple. A small perch is wedged in a hole against a piece of string with a heavy weight attached at one end and a noose on the other. The weight pulls the peg into the hole using the friction of the string, The tighter the peg goes in, the more the string is trapped! The noose sits on the peg.

When a bird alights on the peg it (the peg) comes out of the hole, the string is not held anymore and the weight drops tightening the noose tightens around the birds legs.

Again, this is for fun and learning only as they are illegal in normal circumstances.

More pics

An old hearth board was used for the peg board.

The peg was an old spindle which means it fits perfectly in the hole in the board.

A good heavy rock. Make sure it is held high enough over the ground so that when the trap is sprung it doesn't hit the ground before the noose tightens.

All assembled with rock at great height. Test it a few times to make sure it all comes together. This trap really has a hair trigger.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers
    Andy
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Ojibway bird trap started by Andy B View original post
  • Recent Articles

Snugpak: Endurance Rucksack

Review
    By John Fenna

I have recently been trying out Snugpak’s 40 litre Endurance Rucksack and found it to be a versatile and very practical bag for most of my bushcraft activities.

Available in either Black or a darker-than-most Olive colours, the Endurance is made from 500D heavy duty nylon and measures approx 49cm x 31cm x 22cm with a traditional

Tags: bag  carry  rucksack  snugpak 
    shelly 13-11-2014 13:00 Go to last post

Superfeet: Premium Insoles

Review
    By John Fenna

As my vastly expensive, custom-made, orthopaedic insoles were coming to the end of their effective life, I was very pleased to be able to get hold of some Superfeet Premium Insoles,

Tags: boots  feet  insole  walking 
    shelly 11-11-2014 11:18 Go to last post

Zippo Brown Canvas Bag

Review
    By John Fenna

My admiration of the classic “canvas and leather” look kit is not a secret, so it will come as no surprise to many that the new (and limited availability) Zippo Brown Canvas Bag attracted me as soon as I saw it!

Tags: bag  canvas  carry  leather  zippo 
    shelly 11-11-2014 10:54 Go to last post