PDA

View Full Version : How do i successfully sew ?

tartanferret
27-10-2011, 12:35
I recently bought a handheld sewing machine from a car boot sale with the intention of making a prototype underquilt.
The first one i made was sewn by hand, a scale model, (action man sort of size). I dont have access to a proper sewing machine.
The instructions that came with the hand held machine were vague to say the least.
The resulting effort left the rear of the stitches as loops which easily pulled free, not proper stitches.
Am i missing something? i dont get it !

help !:(

Tadpole
27-10-2011, 12:38
what make of sewing machine? have you loaded the bobbin correctly and is the tension set properly

tartanferret
27-10-2011, 13:06
Its just cheap tat really, kinda thing you would get from poundland.

I've tried different tensions etc,

The problem is the loops it leaves, i fail to see how the needle can do anything other than come back through the hole it just made, hence the loop.

It lookes like its left decent stitching on the top, but..
When you pull at the stitches they all pull back through the cloth.

Sewing by hand, you would come back through at a different place, leaving a stitch between two points.

that makes sense to me but the machine attempting to leave a stitch when it only creates one hole puzzles me.

Sorry if this seems a dumb question, maybe its obvious.

I've googled it and all i can get is comments about how rubbish they are

Mesquite
27-10-2011, 13:11
It lookes like its left decent stitching on the top, but..
When you pull at the stitches they all pull back through the cloth.

Sounds like you haven't the bobbin loaded at all to supply thread for the other half of the stitch.

Can you get some pictures up of the actual machine?

southey
27-10-2011, 13:22
hello matey, most if not all sewing machines need two sets of thread spools to work, the needl pokes through from the top, the other spool loops around the needle so that when the needle pulls back it forms two loops, one from the poking needle and one from the spool in under the material, this is where the tension comes in, if set right you get nice neat stitches running both sides of the material, if too loose you get big messy loops and stitches on the lower side and the top thread doesnt pullthrough enough to secure itself, if to tight the material get scrunched and the stitches become weak as they are under to much tension,

southey
27-10-2011, 13:33
Have you got a bobbin in the section this diagram shows in the box bottom left matey,

http://sewandserge.com/machimages/MechanicalSewDia2.jpg

tartanferret
27-10-2011, 13:37
Its doubtfull, its one of these things

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g467/suggydesign/sew1.jpg

kinda thing you hold in one hand

Mesquite
27-10-2011, 13:38
Its doubtfull, its one of these things
...kinda thing you hold in one hand

Ok... I reckon there's a bobbin in the bottom half of the machine.

Does the bottom detach or pull off as far as you can see?

southey
27-10-2011, 13:39
are there any compartments under the sprung plate that holds the material?

southey
27-10-2011, 13:41
It should open up something like this

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/034/445034_090223115837_ux_a060922 00ux0022_ux_c.jpg

tartanferret
27-10-2011, 13:46
just opened it up (its a screwdriver job), Nope, no lower bobbin arrangement

I think the online reviews are right, it wants binning !

Recomendations for a starter sewing machine gratefull

Mesquite
27-10-2011, 13:55
Recomendations for a starter sewing machine gratefull

You can get a hand cranked or electric singer sewing machine pretty cheaply on ebay

tartanferret
27-10-2011, 15:09
I found a few videos on youtube that show the correct threading.

It appears i am missing a tensioning spring on the bobbin.

However after improvising, i've learned i really need a decent one where i can use both hands.

These little things are not worth bothering with. Far too much hassle (like the online reviews say), ah well, it was only a quid, looks like the only thing that got stitched up was me. sorry, i couldnt resist

cheers for the assistance

merrygold85
27-10-2011, 20:15
Looks like you have it upside down when compared to the red one.