PDA

View Full Version : home made elderberry cordial after a stroll

4D_scumpunx
17-11-2010, 18:45
I have not done much walking this past month due to looking for a new job and wanted to post something good as I a new to this site and this is my first post.

The last walk I had which was by myself after waking up and wanting to go for a walk down the canal in macclesfield, I decided to take a few bags, packet of crisps, make note of a few plants and berries I wanted to gather.
So I decided on elderberrys as they were ripe and coming to an end i got my boots on, left the phone behind, got the headlamp and headed off... i found there had been many berrys already picked from the bushes i had found untill i got half way down the canal and found a huge mound of bushes, shining with elderberries all over the show.
so i gathered as much as i could and left a fair few for the birds n other foragers, I walked a good few 4-5 miles and then headed back just as the sun disappeared.
Having got home and already had bought the ingredients I set out the berries, put a few candles on and decided to make it that night, after a good hour of getting the berries free from stalk I boiled them rapidly, poured in the sugar, added some cinnamon, mixed spice and sat down reading some online bushcraft books.

It turned out amazing, although i had made way to much for me and my girlfriend, more than enough for a good 8-10 families i should say it was the tastiest drink ive had all year, great for when you can feel a cold coming on, or to cure a hangover.
I recommend making elderberry cordial to everyone.

What other cordials have people made? other recipes for elderberry cordials?

fordy (4d)

durulz
17-11-2010, 18:49
What is the difference between a cordial and a squash?
I mean, you get lime cordial, but lemon and lime squash.
Does anyone know what the difference is?

shaggystu
17-11-2010, 18:51
i might have to give that a try at some point fordy, sounds good, what ratio of sugar to berries did you use?

oh, welcome to the forum

stuart

resnikov
17-11-2010, 18:52

According to the font of all Knowledge
Squash (sometimes referred to as cordial prior to mixing with water) is a sweetened or unsweetened fruit-based concentrate that is mixed with a liquid, most commonly still or carbonated water, before drinking. Squash is usually yellow. [1][2] It is also the name of the resulting drink.

shaggystu
17-11-2010, 18:52

price?

stuart

4D_scumpunx
17-11-2010, 19:05
Ive allways known the difference to be.
squash - a concentrate mixed with additives, artificial colours/flavours
cordial - homemade concentrate, made from berrys/fruit mixed with just the right amount of sugar needed to keep it for a long time, but not 3-4 years

4D_scumpunx
17-11-2010, 19:07
I used 10oz of sugar to 1pint of juice.

shaggystu
17-11-2010, 19:17
I used 10oz of sugar to 1pint of juice.

somewhere in the region of 2:1 then i guess, thanks for that.

stuart