PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun...discipline through the ages

SimonM
24-09-2010, 09:58
As some of you know, I work in behaviour management in a secondary school. I had this sent to me yesterday...

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario:
Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2010 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School board hold meeting to impliment bullying prevention programs

Scenario:
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2010 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and School gets extra funding from state because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

20010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with.

2010 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from Guy Fawkes, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a bull ant nest.

1957 - Ants die.

2010- State Police, Star Force, Federal Police & Anti-terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, Feds investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary . Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

This should be sent to every e-mail address to show how stupid we have become!

Think about it!

Simon

British Red
24-09-2010, 10:09
Well, its clearly American based and I'm fairly sure theres some Rose tiniting involved :)

That said, there is far too much BS around these days and I do think things have gone far to far to prevent any discipling of children to be polite, well mannered members of scoiety. Theres also so many rules around that children are prevented having harmless fun for fear of "risk". The ultimate protection comes when everyone is confined to a soft room for fear of falling.

Many of the rules we have now, hurt the normal, polite and law abiding kids, impinge on harmless fun and do nothing to stop the real "bad uns". In my view the pendulum has swung too far to being over protective of children

gregorach
24-09-2010, 10:17
1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

Really? Funny, I'm old enough to remember corporal punishment at school, and it certainly didn't work out like that... The real troublemakers got the belt at least once a week on average, and bragged about it afterwards. Never made a damn bit of difference to their behaviour.

Toddy
24-09-2010, 10:20
I think the biggest flaw is simply that "No!", no longer means no.
It means nag at me, whine at me, scream in tantrum at me, until I give in and you get to do anything you want.

There are still an awful lot of good parents out there, and an huge proportion of the children are a credit to them and themselves.
The others though.......:(

That email is definitely rose tinted though.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole
24-09-2010, 10:35
Over 90% of the kid I talk to, meet, see, are good kids, more able to speak to me as an adult than I was at their age. More likely also to report any abuse also, unlike kids were 30 years ago. Rose tinted glasses don't even come close to the reality of what like was really like for most. For no reason a gym teacher broke my eldest brothers nose, (ok the reason was given that my brother did not get in the shower after games fast enough, so was thrown in fully dressed.) I for one am glad that "teachers like that" would be punished today, unlike years ago.

locum76
24-09-2010, 10:42
Sorry Simon, I won't be forwarding that one. :(

If I'd got it at work, given the scalliwags I deal with I'd have had a laugh though.

Melonfish
24-09-2010, 10:46
We make sure our kids know that no means no. my youngest has a habit of pestering for things at the moment, he's about to turn 4 so he's pushing his bounderies. we've had a couple of tantrums but he hates being banished to the bottom step so they're stopping quick :D
my eldest is starting to get the teen strops dispite only being 7 (i swear i didn't start till i was like 11) that or he's just learning how to sulk.

Prodigal Son
24-09-2010, 10:49
When I threatened one my scouts that I would rip off his arms and beat him with the soggy end if he didn't get his hands out of his pockets at flagbreak, (the third time in as many minutes!!) I got a whole lot of flack from our group scout leader - 1 way conversation (to a point!!).

Apparently one of the parents had been in the coridor and overheard me, took offence and reported my behaviour!!

What the parent didn't see was the rest of the room smiling, including me and the other leaders when I said it. They didn't know the kid who I said it to, he is one of the regular 'characters' who pushes the boundaries (great scout, just needs reigning in a bit!) They had absolutely no idea what the circumstances were.

Now if I'd have threatened to beat the snot out of of him after the meeting I could have understood it, but it was about as hollow a threat as I could muster at 9pm on a monday night!!

Some parents!!

gregorach
24-09-2010, 11:06
Whenever people post this sort of nostalgic tosh, I'm always reminded of a quote from Mark Steel: "We need to get back to the values of the 1960s, when you could go out all night, leave your door open and know that no one would come in and rescue the child you were keeping hostage. (http://www.marksteelinfo.com/writing/default.asp?id=56)"

SimonM
24-09-2010, 11:58
Looks like you guys didn't read the thread title "Just for fun..." lighten up it's the weekend!

Simon

Bushwhacker
24-09-2010, 12:00
This is on a similar vein http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1314452/Why-cavemen-better-parents-today.html

Yes yes, I know it's the Mail but, for once, it does ring true.

gregorach
24-09-2010, 12:09
Looks like you guys didn't read the thread title "Just for fun..." lighten up it's the weekend!

Simon

If you want to post stuff for fun, it helps if it's funny. This post is, IMHO, the exact opposite of funny.

Shewie
24-09-2010, 12:13
Well it made me smile

gregorach
24-09-2010, 12:19
Yeah, and a lot of people used to laugh at Bernard Manning's racist jokes...

Shewie
24-09-2010, 12:23
Okay, can't see the link though Dunc

durulz
24-09-2010, 12:47
Since the 1950's were some kind of Eden, can we add the following scenarios as well:

Alan has difficulty reading at school and keeps having to ask the teacher for help.
1957 - Teacher tells him he is stupid and thick, sits him at the back of the class and Alan grows up with a poor education, poor job and dependent on benefits.

2010 - The teacher recognises that Alan may suffer from dyslexia and arranges for suitable help for Alan, who grows up to have a worthwhile career and is a credit to his profession and community.

George's family have emigrated to the UK from Africa.
1957 - All the class mock him for the colour of his skin and even the teacher lets slip the odd 'sambo' comment.

2010 - George's background is not even recognised and he has freinds from the UK, Asia, Africa and many points in between.

Tina excels at mathematics and science.
1957 - Despite this her teachers put her in home economics and needle-work lessons. Maybe a typing course, given her aptitude.

2010 - Tina grows up to be a noted expert in oncology and is at the fore-front of many medical breakthroughs.

Yeah, the 1950's...how very funny it was.

Prodigal Son
24-09-2010, 13:13
Was it a full moon last night?

There's a lot of tired people on here today :D

woof
24-09-2010, 13:24

Simon

Just what i was thinking.

Rob

gregorach
24-09-2010, 13:35

I have a long and distinguished record of not letting this kind of thing slide, thanks. There are reasons, but I'm not going into them here. Suffice to say that paeans to the good old days when teachers and other authority figures could beat the living daylights out of kids with complete impunity make me very, very angry indeed.

Prodigal Son
24-09-2010, 13:46
I have a long and distinguished record of not letting this kind of thing slide, thanks. There are reasons, but I'm not going into them here. Suffice to say that paeans to the good old days when teachers and other authority figures could beat the living daylights out of kids with complete impunity make me very, very angry indeed.

Nobody ever said that it was ok did they?

Just because you don't find something funny doesn't mean it isn't!! And I'm not saying that children being abused is funny - because it isn't!!

If I offended you then that is unfortunate. It was not my intention.

Fizzy
24-09-2010, 14:03

Certainly a serious case of 'sense of humour failure' that's for sure

Anyway, did you hear the one about the Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman...

Prodigal Son
24-09-2010, 14:15
No but I did hear a good one about my mother - in - law ...

British Red
24-09-2010, 14:24
Of course its funny, anyone can be passionate about a time they like. If you wanted to "point fingers" at the current era, theres nothing particulalrly great about rising levels of obesity, lack of physical fitness, the amount of drug taking and binge drinking, street crime for phones and trainers. I suspect making everything "safe" has made kids passive - passive "highs", passive games etc.

You can be just as rose tinted about modern life as previous ones :D

They all have their good and bad points......and reminiscing and smiling has been going on for centuries.......

Dear Gods, don't take everything so seriously - some things WERE better in the past - quiter roads, more freedom, etc. Some things weren't. Its known as "life"

stovie
24-09-2010, 14:35
Dear Gods, don't take everything so seriously... - Its known as "life"

Is now a good time to mention BG and RM...:nono:

Shewie
24-09-2010, 14:38
and zombies ??

woof
24-09-2010, 14:39
Of course its funny, anyone can be passionate about a time they like. If you wanted to "point fingers" at the current era, theres nothing particulalrly great about rising levels of obesity, lack of physical fitness, the amount of drug taking and binge drinking, street crime for phones and trainers. I suspect making everything "safe" has made kids passive - passive "highs", passive games etc.

You can be just as rose tinted about modern life as previous ones :D

They all have their good and bad points......and reminiscing and smiling has been going on for centuries.......

Dear Gods, don't take everything so seriously - some things WERE better in the past - quiter roads, more freedom, etc. Some things weren't. Its known as "life"

Thank you.

Rob

woof
24-09-2010, 14:40
By the way, i started a thread over on BB, ref 70's sports mopeds, now they were fun.

Rob

telwebb
24-09-2010, 15:15
By the way, i started a thread over on BB, ref 70's sports mopeds, now they were fun.

Rob

Weren't they just - how I never had (or caused) a serious accident still amazes me to this day!

Nagual
24-09-2010, 15:34
Apparently back in the day.. it never rained during holidays and everyone whistled at work, and all that :) Now it's always raining and everyone is a grumpy git... :D

Melonfish
24-09-2010, 16:10
you always had snow in the winter too, mountains of the stuff and you could sled where you wanted, nowdays we barely see snow and what we do get is either gone in minutes or drops on us like a hammer and the country grinds to a halt.
you could ask a copper for advice and he'd tell you rather then radio it in and give you a blank look, if you were caught doing something you shouldn't like creeping round an old house the copper would clip you round your ear and take you home, now you go to juvie for breaking and entering.
you could build a den in the woods and people thought it was fun and let you play, nowdays they phone the police believing your dealing drugs (no really that happened on a woodland trust site i know of)
children were encouraged to play large group and often noisey games in the playground at breaks, now they have staggered breaks and aren't allowed to shout lest the neighbours serve the school with a noise abatement notice.

i could go on.

British Red
24-09-2010, 16:28
Scouts and children could (and did) carry sheath knives. This engendered a response of "off camping then?".

colly
24-09-2010, 16:57
i'm sure i've read on some introductions that the people have joined because it is such a frendly forum....
must be confusing this one with another.

Melonfish
24-09-2010, 17:07
i'm sure i've read on some introductions that the people have joined because it is such a frendly forum....

it is, but would life be fun without some sparks and vigour? overall it is one of the most friendly and helpful forums i've ever come accross. but like i say there's going to be conflict or it would be horribly dull (passive and neutral i mean)

MSkiba
24-09-2010, 17:11
I think whats is happening on this forum, is that there is a huge mix of age groups and is what starts such rants. And when one member mentions a german uniform he just purchased, granpa bob starts a rant about how the jerries bombed his glass house when he were a nipper.

Thanks to the OP, it does for sure open your eyes how the world has changed within a single lifetime.

Toddy
24-09-2010, 19:35

You have me confused :dunno:
This thread is a discussion, not a rammy.
Not one word has gone either slanderous, invective, or nasty.

A difference of opinion isn't unfriendly, or a reason for a polarised debate, simply a reason to approach a topic with an open mind.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy
24-09-2010, 19:45
I think whats is happening on this forum, is that there is a huge mix of age groups and is what starts such rants. And when one member mentions a german uniform he just purchased, granpa bob starts a rant about how the jerries bombed his glass house when he were a nipper.

Thanks to the OP, it does for sure open your eyes how the world has changed within a single lifetime.

Astonishing isn't it ;)

I am reminded of the parental speech.

"When he was five he thought I knew everything,
By the time he was fifteen he thought I knew nothing.
Now he's 25 he's starting to ask me how I know so much......."

The past is a different country, they do things differently there.

Lot of advantages to living nowadays, but a lot of regard and respect for other people has gone in the cult of, Me! Mine! and I Want!
There is an overweaning selfishness and self centredness that would have been slapped down by ashamed parents in the past.
To balance that, there is a great deal more self confidence, sometimes with an astonishing lack of ability though.

Different times, different folks, but don't try to tell folks who lived it that it was some halcyon period in our history. Folk were just living the best life they could, in the society they knew.

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl
24-09-2010, 20:54

I think it was in fun and I like Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson for that.

I was never hit by my Dad but had a skelp on the behind from Mum at times.

But I could distinguish between right and wrong from around 24 mths.

Hence, Dad didn't need to hit me.

I have many relatives of different race and religions and everyone's the same basically.

Do wrong..get a skelp,Do right..get some praise.

Make fun of folk whatever their race...`No problem been doing that back and forth since the fifties...'Sticks and stones may break my bones BUT names will NEVER hurt me'.

You should hear the cracks other races tell about us 'whites'.

My youngest has and is going through one hell of a time but got herself a tattoo..'What doesn't kill me , makes me stronger'.

That's who gives me strength.

We're all brothers and sisters under the sun and born with the basics of good and bad.

British Red
24-09-2010, 21:08
Just doing a countdown now Barn Owl. Someone will be along to tell you off. Not that they are personally offended - but they feed the need to be offended on behalf of someone else!

Thats one of the things that makes me laugh - offended by proxy :D

Barn Owl
24-09-2010, 21:20
Just doing a countdown now Barn Owl. Someone will be along to tell you off. Not that they are personally offended - but they feed the need to be offended on behalf of someone else!

Thats one of the things that makes me laugh - offended by proxy :D

Hell yes,

That's what you can do up here basically...

If you overhear 'anything' that you deem to be racially offensive between two folk of 'differing' races and they're not bothered,then the Police are duty bound to pursue one of them if you make a complaint just on what you've overheard.:confused:

British Red
24-09-2010, 21:24
Ahhh yes, heavens forfend in the modern world that people laugh at the self appointed arbiters of morality...they will have a serious hissy fit!

Good sport mind

sapper1
24-09-2010, 21:40
I've solved the problem of offending people ........hate everyone equally,that way you can't be accused of ism.

Opal
24-09-2010, 21:50
Yeah, and a lot of people used to laugh at Bernard Manning's racist jokes...

I did, anyone knows me will tell you I ain't racist and I laugh at jokes about Scousers if it's funny, there's more jokes about Scousers being thieves and living on benefits, to me, it's mostly a joke and when my son is released, he's promised me he'll go straight.

As Simon sez :) it's just for fun, nobody has a gun to yer head, lighten up. I've had a few six on the bum, it bloody hurts when the right teacher uses the cane, when I got back to class I crouched instead of sitting down.

Never seen the inside of a prison....yet. :rolleyes:

British Red
24-09-2010, 21:50
Actually, in response to the insinuation that nothing was better in the past, can we maybe examine things that were truly better in the past

Let me offer a few real things

1) At 12 & 14 my brother and I (both RYA qualified) were allowed to take out boats day sailing in the estuary and basic coastal sailing.

2) I used to walk to school at 13 with my rifle on my back. I would shoot a card for the school rifle team, on the school rifle range and then take it home.

3) I used to buy loose sweets. No obligation to buy a certain amount. Two ounces or even an ounce was fine.

4) Kids being out of contact, all day, was fine. No mobile phone, no pager, just "back in time for tea".

5) ALL kids played out on their bikes. Cyling five miles or more to see a mate was not an expedition or for charity.

Red

Trev
24-09-2010, 22:10
Actually, in response to the insinuation that nothing was better in the past, can we maybe examine things that were truly better in the past

Let me offer a few real things

4) Kids being out of contact, all day, was fine. No mobile phone, no pager, just "back in time for tea".

5) ALL kids played out on their bikes. Cyling five miles or more to see a mate was not an expedition or for charity.

Red

Heyho ,
Re. 4 , Yep although everytime I was late my Dad would turn up on his pushbike and remind me , mainly because I'd be where he'd have been 25 years earlier ( the area didn't change much from 55-85 ) and Community , we were never as out of sight as we thought we were .
Re, 5 , Riding around until you found everyone was all part of the fun . Gathering people as you went looking .
Cheers , Trev . ( now sitting back smiling about the time my Dad caught me smoking in a church doorway aged 10 in a village 8 miles away .)

Toddy
24-09-2010, 22:31
And groups of girls rounded up every baby in the street and went for walks with them in their prams :D
It was the ultimate everybody got a big sister, even if she wasn't yours :rolleyes:

Shops with every one of them smelling different.
Sawdust in the butchers to catch the blood drips. We knew damned fine what steak was and what oxtail was.

"Out and Play! ", was the command, day in day out. So we did :D
We got cold, wet, muddy, sunburnt, skint knees, staved fingers, knew everybody and every dog and cat around.
Went messages for neighbours and old folks and knew we'd get skelped by Mum if we took the change we were offered for going for them.
Thought it was normal to climb trees, swing poles, lamp posts, bings, coal sheds. Could fix flat tyres, make carties, use airguns, carry sheath knives, light fires, and knew not to be stupid with any of them.

Games had their seasons like the year does. Beds, bools, tennis, rounders, hide 'n' seek, truth/dare/doubledare/promise or command, red rover, balls and football.

Household chores; cut kindling (yep, kids used axes), cleaned out the fire, helped to prep and cook, scrubbed and cleaned, cut the grass and the hedges (yep, kids used big shears)

I think, truthfully, our lives were busier. tv was only available for a few hours in the day, no computers, no wii, no mobile phones. People moved around an awful lot more, we were physically much more active and we learned to use a huge variety of tools.

cheers,
Toddy

Robbi
24-09-2010, 22:34
lovely post Toddy

locum76
24-09-2010, 22:42
...a lot of regard and respect for other people has gone in the cult of, Me! Mine! and I Want!

I blame the baby boomers.

:swordfigh

British Red
24-09-2010, 22:45
Aaah but round our way cutting kindling was (and still is) called "chopping sticks". Often done by the grandma on the step - and always with a big scary knife :D

I bought this one some years back as it was the best proper kindling knife I'd seen in decades

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/2703970997_c851397d00.jpg

Oh - and you gave people "backies" on the bikes :D

Toddy
24-09-2010, 22:51
We used a hatchet. One side had a poll that we used for smashing up big lumps of coal :cool:
Cutting kindling was called Making Sticks :)

cheers,
M

locum76
24-09-2010, 22:54
Do all you baby boomers realise that most of these thing still happen today? giving backies, chopping kindling (where wood fires still exist), climbing stuff and generally going out for a bit of a romp are all still popular past times for kids where they are allowed the space and freedom. It's the older generation who have been packing folk in towers, putting up signs banning ball games and generally complaining about kids having fun who have made it difficult.

Hopefully it swings the other way again for the next group of youngsters.

British Red
24-09-2010, 22:59
Cobblers, the play station generation would rather stop in and nuke an individual pizza :swordfigh

Trev
24-09-2010, 23:02
I wasn't old enough to take advantage of this but , Working at weekends was optional ( with the obvious exceptions ) .
Also getting to the end of the week and listening to your parents discuss whether to buy milk OR bread .
I guess all times were good for most kids , but a lot harder for parents .

Trev
24-09-2010, 23:08
@ Locum ,
Who exactly is this older fun stifling generation , it's not me , and I asked my mum and it's not her either . My mum says it wasn't my Gran either .
Are you getting us mistaken for the State .

British Red
24-09-2010, 23:16
Actually I blame this over protective mummying that is the norm now. Look at all the surface protector sprays and the like in case the ickle darlings catch a germy wermy and the poor fwagile angels keel over.

Nuts to that, kick em into the garden to make mud pies!

Robbi
24-09-2010, 23:20
LOL ! like your style BR !!

Barn Owl
24-09-2010, 23:25
Oh the memories Mary,

We used my Granpa's old fire hatchet from the war years for the kindlin' and breaking coal.

woodspirits
24-09-2010, 23:25

my thoughts exactly, take it for what it is, light hearted humour. and yes i did think it was funny! unlike some of our our more 'dour' members :)

Barn Owl
24-09-2010, 23:28
Actually I blame this over protective mummying that is the norm now. Look at all the surface protector sprays and the like in case the ickle darlings catch a germy wermy and the poor fwagile angels keel over.

Nuts to that, kick em into the garden to make mud pies!

I was a digger,tried valiantly to reach Oz first with a dinner spoon then a wee plastic spade.

By the time I could hold the real garden spade I couldn't be bothered..:lmao:

launditch1
24-09-2010, 23:29
What an entertaining thread this is!

I've learnt that its pointless trying to stop my 20month old eating weird stuff.
A ladybird was the last thing.

Trev
24-09-2010, 23:30
Heyho ,
Not really sure what you blame that for ? Do really clean children cause a lot of problems ?
Mine are out in the garden for as long as possible , it's easier to clean a child than it is a house .
Perhaps keeping children indoors alienates then from other kids , leading to them only comunicating online .and when they do go out they feel the need to live up to the online image they've created for themselves . Hmm , answered my own question , really clean children are a problem .

Shewie
24-09-2010, 23:33
I love the way this thread's turned out in the end, I thought it was heading for a lock down when I last checked this morning.

Some nostalgic memories from my childhood ...

Raliegh Choppers
Revels
My dads Moog sythesizer
Phil Spectres christmas album
Pogo sticks
Caravan holidays
Not having be home until it gets dark on school holidays
Making dens in the woods
White dog poo
Labelling up your own VHS tape and the naff fake book cover it went in.
Grange Hill
Stig of the Dump
Jackanory
Superman
Famous Five
Buck Rogers
Loading the push bikes up with DIY panniers and camping gear then setting off into the sticks for three days

Happy days

Laurentius
24-09-2010, 23:38
I went to school in the late sixties early seventies and was bullied.

My dad had the old school attitude that you should stand up to them and learn to fight with your fists. I am not sure this was the school attitude even then, the point about bullying being that it went on under the threshold of any supervision, whoever was caught right or wrong, provoked or not was the one who would get punished for it.

One day I did simply have enough of a particular bully, swaggering tough guy, you get the picture. I didn't use my fist's I gave him a roundhouse kick square in the teeth on the top deck of the school bus once, no mean achievement, but I had been pushed beyond tolerance.

The thing is his reaction to that was not resentment or wanting revenge, it was respect that I could give as good as I got, either that or I genuinely scared the bejasus out of him when he was least expecting it.

If that had been reported to the school well I guess those who are familiar with the times would know what the consequences would have been, a sore backside for me.

Barn Owl
24-09-2010, 23:40
:lmao:

Nice Rich,

In the pub earlier we were on about kids progs' and cartoons when young 'uns.

Remember it was the 'chipper','tomahawk' then 'chopper' bikes.(iirc).;)

Laurentius
24-09-2010, 23:46
Really? Funny, I'm old enough to remember corporal punishment at school, and it certainly didn't work out like that... The real troublemakers got the belt at least once a week on average, and bragged about it afterwards. Never made a damn bit of difference to their behaviour.

I'm old enough to remember it too, however whilst it might not have made a difference to the few, for the rest of us it was not something we would willingly provoke and to be avoided at all costs.

Toddy
24-09-2010, 23:58
I was a digger,tried valiantly to reach Oz first with a dinner spoon then a wee plastic spade.

By the time I could hold the real garden spade I couldn't be bothered..:lmao:

My brother playing sodjers.......dug an escape tunnel that went under next door's fence :rolleyes: When the bottom of auld Harry's fence stob poked through the roof he just sawed it off.
Harry's 10 year old youngest was leaning over our fence a couple of days later and the whole fence section collapsed and toppled him headfirst into the six inches of gloopy clay that was the bottom of our garden pond. He climbed out and walked like a chocolate man :D :lol: :D up our back garden, through the close, out the gate and round to his Mum dripping mud the whole way; she screamed like a Banshee at him, and turned the hose on. :D :D
I'm still laughing at it now :D A mud man with big blue eyes :D

M

Opal
25-09-2010, 00:04
In the fifties we used to make our own high wooden stilts and walk on tin cans with the string in them, stearing carts too out of bits of wood, never seen any youngsters doing that these days.

Never see anyone playing ollies/marbles either and making firewood bundles selling them to our neighbours for 2d a pack, that's how we made a few coppers to buy four Walkers and three Uncle Joe's mint balls.

Barn Owl
25-09-2010, 00:05
Can mind one Sunday afternoon there was 'visitors' in.

My wee sister came in from the field out back covered in coo dung having fell in same :lmao:

Toddy
25-09-2010, 00:39
Visitors, and being "good" :D Lady's in hats and posh voices for the phone :D Everybody wore hats, I mind not recognising a neighbour without her hat on, one summer.

Mind those white crepe rubber soled Clark's sandals? Every summer we got new ones, felt like we walked like ducks 'til we broke them in :rolleyes:

Day trips on coach tours, and if there was water I was in it.

Public drinking fountains, they'd be declared totally unhygienic disease vectors nowadays, yet every child in the school drank from the same one.

Catching bees in jam jars full of clover heads. My brother found a plant of genuine fourleaved clovers one summer. He made a fortune selling them for 3d a piece to neighbours :D

Guy Fawkes bonfires, the biggest redd out of houses and gardens ever. Built like wigwams they were often over 20 feet high. Burnt right through the night and still on fire when we went to school the next day.

Standing in Assembly in school. Frozen solid and just starting to thaw out and the stinging nip of fingers and toes as they burned as the blood flushed back through them.

The smell of hallowe'en, the coal fire smoke and cold nights, and Christmas :D, real trees with jaggy needles and a dozen fairy lights on it :) The steamed up kitchen smell of dumpling boiling for three and a half hours :D

M

Shewie
25-09-2010, 00:49
Standing in Assembly in school. Frozen solid and just starting to thaw out and the stinging nip of fingers and toes as they burned as the blood flushed back through them.

M

That's just reminded me of the little glass bottles of milk we used to get every morning at school, they would usually have an inch of ice on the top too in winter.

And drying out your woolly gloves that your gran knitted on the big iron radiators in the class room, only to go back out a break time and have another snowball fight.

Proper parker coats with the orange lining and furry hood

Deep snow that shut schools and villages, everybody would just end up sledging and playing together for days until it thawed.

Chinkapin
25-09-2010, 02:56
There was a great book written in the U.S. way back in 1957. it was entitled: "Where have you been? Out. What did you do? Nothing." This was the standard mother's interrogation, and the standard response delivered by the child. The interesting thing about this book, is that it was written in 1957, by an adult man about his childhood in the 1920s. It is amazing how what he had to say, dovetails together with the memories posted above. The book is filled with childhood games, activities, etc. Although this book is a bit of Americana, I'll venture that many of the games and such, had a British counterpart.

When I read this book, I was reminded of many games that I had completely forgotten about. It is a real, and warm trip down nostalgia lane. Many of the conclusions that the author reached in 1957, have been expressed here in this forum. Seems nothing much ever changes.

British Red
25-09-2010, 09:07
Space hoppers...they were cool

and boxing was still a sport and taught in school :)

MArkets - good ones, not tatty scruffy ones. With boxes of broken buscuits and the toffee man.

Collecting pop and beer bottles up to get the deposits back :D

Cresta and the polar bear "its frothy man"

TeeDee
25-09-2010, 09:10
"Cresta and the polar bear "its frothy man" "

Right , BR you lost me there , that must be MY age cut off group.:)

I had to go looking for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thxAqdxGSPU

telwebb
25-09-2010, 09:32
rimsky-korsakov! If it wasn't for the polar bear i'd never have heard of him!

JohnC
25-09-2010, 09:38
My Clarks commandos? with a compass in the heel... And you could leave tracks of some animal, possibly a badger...

British Red
25-09-2010, 09:42
Stripey chewy mints called "Pacers" anyone?

Toddy
25-09-2010, 09:56
My Clarks commandos? with a compass in the heel... And you could leave tracks of some animal, possibly a badger...

My brother got them and I was green with envy. Girls got flower prints in the sole :(
Half the boys in school had one crushed down heel on their shoe, taking it off and forcing it back on without undoing the laces :rolleyes:

Then they changed the milk from those wee bottles to the little triangular cartons, felt like we got less :(
and there was always someone sick after milk break, and in the hygiene of the day, the jannie came round with a bucket of sawdust and the jeyes fluid :yuck:

The smell of varnish when we went back to school after the Summer holidays :D the floors had been re-done and the desks were stuck shut with it :D

M

Robbi
25-09-2010, 09:57
R whites lemonade

flying saucer sweets ( rice paper and sherbert )

claude butler racing bikes ( never had one ! )

when the thames flooded in 1968 ( what fun we had )

locum76
25-09-2010, 14:45
I must be getting old because I remember all this stuff and I'm only 34. I'm going to have to join in.

The school playtime milk freezing in the winter when we lived at Drumdelgie. Before the milk was all homogenised - we had to drink it when it was split. (from bottles).
Playing football on stubble in wellies and a boiler suit.
Shooting my dads air gun at everything.
Cycling everywhere from the age of 8 and up.
Lucky Tatties, neverending gobstoppers, pacers (BR).
Falling in the drainage tank for the grain dryer (rescued by brother - parents still don't know)
Playing with the welders and gas torches in the workshop from 6 years old.
helping with the hay bales from age 5.
Working for actual cash from age 12 (1.50/ hour 40 hours a week - We were minted).
Making bows and arrows and firing them at each other.
Spud guns on the school bus.
Playing on the salmon fish ladder at Luncarty (parents still don't know about that one)
Making an Igloo from actual blocks of ice (Drumdelgie again).
Being bullied but eventually decking the main culprit and being congartulated for it by the head teacher - never looked back.
The bon-accord lorry visiting the farm and us getting a whole crate of fizzy pop.
and all the mud, glorious mud. I reckon that's why I'm a gardener and biologist type now.

:)

British Red
25-09-2010, 14:50
They still have pop vans round here....with pop that is "mostly additives" :D

British Red
25-09-2010, 14:51
Oh - what about space dust? That must have been all additives