PDA

View Full Version : survival skills?

Everything Mac
03-08-2010, 21:48
hi all - I do Geology at Glasgow uni and as part of the course we are required to do various mapping exercises - many of which are on your own.

now many of the areas we map are quite remote and if something should happen I feel that many members of my course would have no idea what to do.

as such I am looking into running a basic survival course

- with all seriousness - what do you think should be taught.

obviously we aren't talking extreme stuff.

I was thinking basic shelter and fire lighting. - as well as simply common sense stuff like having a bit of extra kit attached to ones person.

all thoughts welcome.

Andy

jackcbr
03-08-2010, 22:17
I'd have a look at what other schools are teaching, or even the good old SAS Survival Handbook (before you all shoot me down, we all started somewhere, and this was it for me). It has basic bits about shelter building and signaling, along with basic first aid. If you know anyone in Mountain Rescue, they could give you a few pointers.

Barn Owl
03-08-2010, 22:27
Andy,

Re basic shelter,make sure they know how to use an orange 'survival' bag or cut it to make a 'tarp' off a dry stane dyke.

Make sure they have a whistle and torch and know the six blasts etc..and ensure they've told someone their destination and route AND not to bugger offf away from where they should be.

STAY where they are if injured.

Have carb high munchies...it really wouldn't be long until they were found if the above was followed.

Basic,yes but lifesaving and surprisingly still needing to be taught to those you'd think would already know.

Todays Grannies do need how to be taught to suck eggs...;)

TinkyPete
03-08-2010, 22:53
The basics of shelter, fire First aid, water, food, signalling and navigation (map reading and gps would be using for surveying and stuff) using kit you have or are likely too have